PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Contactless Payments

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    For those of you who won't use contactless at any price and always use cash I rather think you're days are numbered. Have you tried to buy anything from a machine at a train station lately - bars of chocolate, coffees etc - the only way is contactless/credit card and cash is not an option.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Robin9 wrote: »
    For those of you who won't use contactless at any price and always use cash I rather think you're days are numbered. Have you tried to buy anything from a machine at a train station lately - bars of chocolate, coffees etc - the only way is contactless/credit card and cash is not an option.

I dont use trains...but,until cash becomes obsolete,I will use it.I reckon cash will be with us until I die at least!
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    What an utterly bizarre thread!

Boiling this down the dislike of contactless cards comes down to it being to easy to spend money. That has nothing to do with contactless and everything to do with the individual and lack of self-control.

I pretty much exclusively use contactless. It!!!8217;s far more secure on your phone with a keypad lock than carrying around a card that can get skimmed. Also do I (or anyone else) want loose change rattling around in the pocket of an expensive suit?

Why is it a bizzare thread?
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:18PM

Boiling this down the dislike of contactless cards comes down to it being to easy to spend money. That has nothing to do with contactless and everything to do with the individual and lack of self-control.

I pretty much exclusively use contactless. It!!!8217;s far more secure on your phone with a keypad lock than carrying around a card that can get skimmed. Also do I (or anyone else) want loose change rattling around in the pocket of an expensive suit?

I consider any money in any form like a dripping tap.

Looks like you are not losing anything until you put the plug in the sink and find the sink is filling up.

As for a phone payment. Having to buy a £600+ phone to be able to pay against a free card from the bank. I know which I'd choose and it ain't the phone,

If you are wearing that an expensive suit you usually have lackeys to carry the money for you.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • I'll stick to cash thanks - easy to see what I've got left = just count up what's in my purse.

I've got no choice but to use a debit card (normal "contact" type one) these days for larger purchases. However, I prefer to restrict using it for everyday purchasing to just for my supermarket bill. Certainly - anything under "around about" £10 or so and I'll use cash for it.

I wouldnt want to have to do the amount of "checking up" on my finances that I'd have to do if I used a contactless card to pay for everything - as, on many days, I'd have several purchases to check up on. So I'd much rather think along the lines of just a couple of purchases a week made with a debit card (which I keep the receipt for and check when the monthly bank statement comes through).
  • I don't think it bizarre - we all share ideas about saving money, and I have found a lot of useful information on here. I am a bit of a convert to contactless - but I don't use it for very small amounts and I always take a receipt.
    We often write on here about tracking spending, and I find contactless useful.Others don't, but sharing why and how we manage is IMHO helpful.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I use contactless all the time. As a CFO I rarely spend over the £30 limit. I check my bank account regularly so I know how much is there. Budgeting is budgeting, whether it's by cash or card.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am an old lady and am quite a distance from an atm. I use contactless every time when shopping. I shop and the receipt goes into an envelope in my handbag. I know where every penny goes this way. Back in the day when I used cash I would take out £20 and wonder where it all went.
    You have reminded me I do need cash today as a reward for my GS who has exams results today( he is 16 and likes cash!!)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Bizarre is probably not the word I'd use but the way the thread has developed I agree it's not really just about contactless.

It could equally have been posted years ago about using credit cards or debit cards or cheques or having something 'on tick' at the corner shop.

What all these things have in common is that for some people unless they're physically handling tangible money then they can't trust themselves not to overspend. Some people are even worse than that and will deliberately go out without a purse/card as if they've no money with them then they can't spend it.

I'm not knocking them as they're all good mse techniques. If people didn't need them then we wouldn't have boards full of debt diaries.

I do have some concerns about security but if you keep most of your money in savings accounts then it limits the risk.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Why is it a bizzare thread?

Because as I pointed out the aversion to using contactless is not based on anything rational other than peoples fear of not being able to control there spending.

How does having £10 in your pocket make it any less likely that you’ll spend £8 on a coffee and slice of cake? How does using contactless make it more likely? Sorry to say but it isnt the payment method but the person.

Surprised to find that nobody has mentioned how filthy cash is. A study entitled “Survival of Influenza Virus on Banknotes” found that infectious virus can survive for several days on banknotes. Other research has shown that “some bank notes and coins contain traces of feces and pathogens like Escherichia coli (E. coli), salmonella and fecialstaphylococcus aureus, which can lead to serious illness.”

As I said I’m contactless all the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport