HSBC ignoring me!

Hi Guys and Gals,

We may be owed PPI in relation to our mortgage (now paid off - ten years). I went to the webiste of our providor HSBC. They just ignored me. No response. The site claims 40 days.

What is the next step?

I was unable to provide any hard details to them and am no longer banking with them (aging about 10 years). Should I dig out any paperwork?

Should I write to the branch I banked with?

Any and all help appreciated,

Many thanks,

Jennifur

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Although your complaint sounds fairly hopeless and unlikely to have been mis sold, have you chased up HSBC to see how big their backlog on complaints is at the moment?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ring them up and check they received the complaint and ask for an update.

Did you buy the mortgage from HSBC direct or via broker/IFA?
  • Jam01
    Jam01 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 31 August 2018 at 6:50PM
    I'm currently in dispute with HSBC in regards to a Mortgage Payment Protector Policy refund, I would advise ringing them to check on your complaint, as above, as they are working within the 56 working day guidelines with respect to answering these complaints (the responses I have received have all been received under 30 working days from the initial complaint).

Yes, you should dig out every scrap of information you have and send a copy to the HSBC Complaints Team along with your complaint, as well as keeping it in case you have to submit the case to the FOS (subject to a rejection letter). (DO NOT SUPPLY THE ORIGINALS AS YOU MAY NEED THEM.)

However, from personal experience HSBC don't seem to be addressing the complaints fully - I have had to submit the same claim 3 times now (first claim rejected back in 2012 when HSBC were accepting no culpability for missold policies, 2nd complaint was simply declined and the Final Response Letter from the first claim attempt re-sent, and now they have rejected the complaint under the "Plevin" case guidelines without even addressing the 3 valid complaint points included in the complaint - namely having more than 6 months full pay at the point of sale (exclusions in the policy would not have paid me anything due to me receiving full sick pay for 6 months), the fact that the salesperson ignored this and persuaded me to take the plan and that it was strongly implied that taking the plan would help me get the mortgage - all valid complaint points and any one of them should ensure a refund) - I am an accredited PPI Reclaims Assessor that has worked for Barclaycard, Bank of Ireland and have done reworks for the FOS - so its safe to say I know a bit about this.

My next step is to hopefully speak to one of the HSBC complaints team and find out why they haven't addressed my complaint correctly - failing a successful resolution with them I will have to submit a complaint to the FOS - with the evidence I am able to supply I am fairly confident of a refund.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Jam01 wrote: »
    they have rejected the complaint under the "Plevin" case guidelines without even addressing the 3 valid complaint points included in the complaint
    Since Plevin only applies to rejected PPI complaints, there is no reason for them to "address" the original reasons for complaint again. Basically, your finance is only in scope for Plevin if the amount of commission exceeds the 50% tipping point and if your mortgage was still being paid in or after 2008. Your original PPI complaint remains rejected even if you get a Plevin refund.
    I am an accredited PPI Reclaims Assessor
    That's an "interesting" job description.
    its safe to say I know a bit about this.
    Care to explain, therefore, why your knowledge of Plevin is clearly not up to scratch?

You might also want to explain why you think you can complain again about PPI when your complaint was first rejected six years ago?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have had to submit the same claim 3 times now (first claim rejected back in 2012 when HSBC were accepting no culpability for missold policie

Most MPPI complaints are rejected across the board. This includes the FOS.

You can't keep complaining until you get the answer you want.
    2nd complaint was simply declined and the Final Response Letter from the first claim attempt re-sent

That is the correct outcome.
    and now they have rejected the complaint under the "Plevin" case guidelines without even addressing the 3 valid complaint points included in the complaint - namely having more than 6 months full pay at the point of sale (exclusions in the policy would not have paid me anything due to me receiving full sick pay for 6 months), the fact that the salesperson ignored this and persuaded me to take the plan and that it was strongly implied that taking the plan would help me get the mortgage - all valid complaint points and any one of them should ensure a refund) - I am an accredited PPI Reclaims Assessor that has worked for Barclaycard, Bank of Ireland and have done reworks for the FOS - so its safe to say I know a bit about this.

Plevin doesnt reopen the complaint. So, the points of your complaint are irrevlent as you were already rejected.

6 months sick pay is not a good complaint reason with MPPI. The FOS is rejecting people with 12 months sick pay. Its a better reason with loan and credit card PPI.

Your verbal allegation of it helping you get a mortgage is almost certainly without any proof to back it up. So, an easy rejection.

It's a bit worrying that you claim to have worked on PPI claims but don't appear to know what is happening with MPPI. Although you say it was with Barclaycard. So, MPPI is not a product you dealt with. However, the fact you feel you can complain time and again and dont understand Plevin makes me wonder if you are what you so you are.
    My next step is to hopefully speak to one of the HSBC complaints team and find out why they haven't addressed my complaint correctly

They have. You were rejected in 2012.
    failing a successful resolution with them I will have to submit a complaint to the FOS - with the evidence I am able to supply I am fairly confident of a refund.

You are timebarred from the FOS as it was more than 6 months ago.

Your knowledge on this is really poor.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure