PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was up earlyish too, about 5am. I've no idea what woke me up, but I went outside and it was raining, so I did wonder if it'd been that.

Breakfast today was the final 2 chocolate digestives :)

The calorie count on the packet is way too small to see.... so that officially means none of them count :) If they counted it'd have been ~1200 calories for the pack I'd guess.

Dentist later today ....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I had to organise my meals in advance, to stop me grabbing food at lunchtime. I will be having lamb burger and stir fry garlic/kale and brocolli. Last meal will be salmon and roasted parsnips and fennel

I have a visitor soon, just for a cuppa, she is a vegan who has become poorly, not surprised tbh. She needs to educate herself and I will give a tiny few bits of advice but she needs to get more info, it is out there. IBS, now heart and pre-diabetes. Doh, so frustrating, she is an energy sucker, I am sure you know what I mean, will leave me feeling better herself but me drained. I am going to get that bubble around myself

Children here for 2 days so I will not be cooking for one, see you again at the weekend
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    I thought I'd get some food inside me in case later on I'm unexpectedly told I can't eat for 2 hours and am given an injection for something I didn't anticipate occurring.... so I had chips and the other half of the tin of spaghetti hoops I opened the other day.
  • Waiting in - again - for a delivery:( and it's spring out there again today....so I wanna get out for a walk.

So done a 2 mile power walk video from YouTube (yay - worked my way up from a 1 mile one then:D). Whew - and planning on a tryout of a slimming breakfast recipe for lunch involving cooked oats, nut butter and well-it-should-be-frozen-blueberries (which translates into frozen cherries then - as I've used up the blueberries). Cue for notes on shopping list about that and bananas...
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,282
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I woke up late today as I had workmen around here again yesterday, to finish sorting out the mice (all gone now) and then a possible water leak. I cannot believe how many problems with the house we have had this year already!:mad:

I've had a banana, a clementine and a packet of crisps so far. A cup of tea too.

I have leftover rice, peas and sweetcorn for lunch and I'm going to make some curry roasted chickpeas and steamed broccoli and carrots to go with it.

I'm going to have a veggie burger with salad and a GF roll later tonight.

I realised I am feeling much better being GF now it's been about 2 weeks and it hasn't been as hard as I first thought.:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Hope all goes well at the dentist PN:grouphug:
    Enjoy your family visiting kittie:)
    Milk jelly - how yummy not had one for years mcculloch, it's amazing how some foods just take you back in time.:cool:

I'm just back from meeting up with an ex-neighbour for coffee. I was good and resisted a scone or cake. It was lovely to get a catch up with her.

Lunch will be LO stir fry & noodles from last night that just needs a quick nuke. I'll make savoury mince later and have that tonight with some root veg mash.

Spring has sprung off somewhere else here, it's very damp & chilly so I'm happy not to have head back out today! After lunch I'll be putting my feet up and enjoying my book as I'm tired after this morning's activities so need to recharge my batteries,
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Good job I did my garden bits yesterday, pouring this morning.

No breakfast, just a cuppa

Into L's for mooching and YS hunt for dinner
    I never realised but this week they have roast dinner veg on offer, so topped
    up with spuds, carrots, parsnips & shallots. I'd run out of all of them. All 29p

And to top it all, there was a YS mince & onion family pie just begging to be taken home for £1.39

That's me sorted for the rest of the week

Mid morning it was cake time, one of the volunteers was leaving so "thank you" cake & coffee scoffed

Then phone call, meet someone in town, so lunch was bacon bap, with brown sauce of course, and more coffee

Dinner will be the now defrosted YS chilli con carne that was booked in for yesterday. It is a nukeable one ex L's. One of the better RMs IMO
    Yesterday, I went back in time and made a milk jelly from evaporated milk and a standard packet of raspberry jelly.
    My mum made this a lot for Sunday tea when we were children, and I made it quite a few times with my own children.

Making it was so powerfully nostalgic that when it came to opening the tin of evaporated milk, I automatically looked for the tiny folding metal can opener that we used to pierce tins of milk.

Now I want one, and I have a tin piercer to do the job. Mine is LO from my Navy days, opening beer tins :beer: We called them can spanners. Used to be one in every box of beer, before ring pulls where even known. Just checked, mine is London Pride

I have also just sent for free tin of fruit, on grabbit board. 1950s trifle on the way sometime soon?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Back .... popped in and grabbed a pack of sausage rolls on my way back and a pack of chocolate mis-shapes while out too.

Just scoffed two hot sausage rolls and some chocolates. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 6:06PM
    :mad: Dinner tonight is going to start with a bottle of beer I can tell - off out to get it in a moment.

Yep...you guessed it the deliverer (UK Mail are the culprit responsible) haven't delivered to me today and it was getting late - so I rang the firm I'm buying from.....

UK Mail have neither explained nor apologised as to why I've just wasted a day waiting in for them for nothing. Waits to see what the "goodwill gesture" is likely to be that I've been promised by the firm I bought the item off (ie because neither they or the deliverer bothered to contact me to explain/apologise/re-arrange).

Off to buy that beer.....and looks like it will be leftovers for dinner tonight....:cool:

Bang goes the "healthy living" for the day - again....

EDIT; Beer duly drunk and I've been googling. Reviews of UK Mail as a carrier duly forwarded to the firm I bought the item from - ie a very high percentage of bad reviews. Fingers crossed that particular (rather large) firm will now drop UK Mail as a carrier. Job done - well I've done my best anyway...and told the firm supplying goods that I find Yahoo pretty good in this area actually (well - considering the Yahoo deliverer and I now know each other by sight and I've seen him checking up on the welfare of this "single person living on their own" then I think that's pretty good service from them in fact).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,

I take it you got on ok at the dentist PN if you are managing to eat sausage rolls?:)

Farway - my Dad calls them "spanners" too (ex Royal Marine):cool:

MTSTM - how frustrating, I can understand why a beer might be needed;)

I've had a quiet afternoon, apart from sorting out a pot of mince I've done very little:o. It's definitely much colder here tonight I've had to turn the heating back up a bit:(. Think I've more or less got my Easter menu sorted out. I'm looking forward to Thursday night when the kids arrive, I do love when they are home at the same time:D.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback