Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hello, 47 year old who has lost her glam here - may I sneak in? My confidence is not where it should be!

I could do with never leaving the house with wet hair or in a sweatshirt... I know how to do it in theory but at weekends I sometimes forget...

I curently have 5 glam dresses which *nearly* look great but are about seven pounds off

I want to learn how to do heels again

And I want to conquer my fear of eyeliner (tops only!)
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2018 at 10:41PM
    Happy New Year fabbers. Loving everyone's plans and words for the new year.

I've been thinking hard about what my word for this year would be.... I toyed with discipline, but it had too much of the S&M sound to it (!), I considered perseverance.. but something wasn't working about that either - a bit joyless. So I have landed on "Focus".

What's behind this is I am pretty good at sticking to the stuff I enjoy (like going dancing) but my focus on things that are good for me but not as much fun is pretty poor. I also have to reign back my digital distractions, be in reading some of the other threads on this site that irritate me, too much checking of facebook, wasting time on you tube videos etc.... I seem to be losing my ability to concentrate on what I need to get done.

Key areas of focus are:-
    - getting back on the healthy eating plan and to shift enough fat I get to a weight I want to stick which is primarily about getting rid of the fat around the middle. Fitter Food (the company whose plan I used to shift the weight I had lost) have just set up a Facebook support group for those of us who bought the Fitter16 plan and said we can restart the plan again if we want so I am doing that.
    - getting a bit more exercise - principally doing some HIIT or more weights but maybe a bit of yoga too.
    - decluttering at home
    - being wiser with my money. I don't really expect to save much this year (beyond my pension) as I have a lot of work to get done on my lounge this month which I've talked about before, but I do want to try to do that without taking out another loan / dipping into my current savings too much.

Things I want to continue are
    - my dancing and hiking - got trips planned for both as well as my regular dance classes. Got a taster ballroom dance class this week too
    - presenting myself as well as I can in what ever shape I am in (i.e. not just clothes but make up, hair, accessories etc) without breaking the bank (I have to ask myself do I NEED something not do I WANT it - saved myself from a few purchases that way over the time off)
    - cramming as much fun as I can in (without tiring myself out)
    - learning lots of new things

On the money front I have a funny story to share. You may recall me being excited about having got a chandelier in Debenhams for my renovated bedroom on a big discount back in the summer.

Well I thought I would try to get one for my lounge and perhaps one for the dining room in the sale (they don't need to match, they are separate rooms). I found one I liked, ordered the last two they had on stock online and then a few days later one arrived... So I contact Debenhams, asked them what happened to the other one. They offer me a refund or say they can send another when they are back in stock. I say "oh, are you getting more in stock, if so how long will it be, as I thought you might be discontinuing and clearing out the stock"... so the next reply confirms they are actually discontinued so they will refund me.... the full amount. I wondered if I might have misunderstood, but I got a separate email confirming the refund at the cost of 2 not 1. So I now have a completely free chandelier for the lounge - I think full price it was £280 and on sale at £168! Not bad going eh!! Certainly gives me positive feelings about their customer service, I know it was their mistake, but I didn't even get a chance to get annoyed before they had gone beyond my expectations to resolve.

One last thing before I stick to my goal of switching off my electronic devices earlier to improve my sleep. It's a book recommendation - only just started reading but it fits very well with the principles in my Fitter 16 plan and I know the author has done an interview with the creators of that plan and they are very much on the same wave length.

It's the Four Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee - his 4 pillars being relax, sleep, eat and move. He is a real doctor (i.e. not a fake like Gillian McKeith) but he believes most chronic disease is caused by poor lifestyle and focused on treating the underlying cause of disease as well as helping people manage the symptoms, where so many doctors just do the latter. So far what I've read all seems very sensible. It's being serialised in the Telegraph at the moment and seems to be on the free section of their website so you can get a taster without needing to buy.

Good night all x
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning ladies, damp and grey here today and I am seem to be lacking in energy, but have appointment with Osteopath so I expect that I will feel more alive when she has finished with me.

I am still thinking through my aims and haven't chosen a word or phrase, I need it to be something which will inspire me to stick to my plan for better health (I am rather good at starting things......:o)

LL - have a fantastic holiday, I hope that you get to meet interesting and fun people as well as see all the amazing sights.

Indiepanda Quote It's the Four Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee - his 4 pillars being relax, sleep, eat and move. He is a real doctor (i.e. not a fake like Gillian McKeith) but he believes most chronic disease is caused by poor lifestyle and focused on treating the underlying cause of disease as well as helping people manage the symptoms, where so many doctors just do the latter. So far what I've read all seems very sensible. It's being serialised in the Telegraph at the moment and seems to be on the free section of their website so you can get a taster without needing to buy.Quote

I have put this book into a virtual shopping basket, after reading your post I think I will check out, I have seen his TV programmes and have been so impressed with his way of treating people, also his compassion and understanding.

Have a great day everyone.:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well last night was fun.......managed to flood my kitchen by leaving a tap running and wandering off for an hour. :rotfl: dehumidifier is working overtime.......

Just to let you know.......two programmes which might interest you.

Tomorrow night, bbc 2. Tom Kerridge: Lose Weight for Good. Followed by Trust Me I’m a Doctor, Michael Moseley. I think they are a new series so I will set up them up to record whilst I’m away.

Speaking of viewing.......

The other night I watched a film called “Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe”. There’s also a book.

it’s a great story about a middle aged woman, played by the wonderful Kathy Bates, from the Deep South in America who has lost her way and become a Frump. She befriends an old lady, played by the incredible Jessica Tandy, in a nursing home, who tells her stories from her past. It’s a thoughtful and entertaining story which deals with a lot of serious issues, gender, race, feminism etc but it’s not heavy, there are some wonderful moments of pure slapstick comedy.

I can thoroughly recommend it. I loved seeing her ditch the frump and become empowered.

I love the power of film, to both educate and entertain.

Another one I watched recently is Sabrina. I watched both versions. It’s about a shy gawky girl who has a crush on her fathers employers playboy son. Her dad sends her to Paris. She comes back as a beautiful soign! Paris chic woman and creates mayhem with both brothers running after her. It’s great fun.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Welcome to all the newbies. This thread is great and I’ve got lots of tips over the years.

My style is fairly simple and unfussy, so my wardrobe tends to be quite plain. Accessories are a great way of dressing up a plain outfit, but isn’t something that comes naturally to me. I’ve had to make a big effort with accessories. The area I’ve found easiest is hair accessories. I’ve got some nice clips and headband and these work really well for me.

I’m really tempted by this bag - I don’t have the money for it, so I’ll wait until next xmas for a similar style (very MSE of me)
    http://uk.coach.com/coach-scout-hobo/24770.html?dwvar_color=LIOXB&ranMID=40530&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-3D5Fn0REfhbBC1_vCusv1g&utm_source=Skimlinks.com&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=404914&utm_content=1&CSID=AFF%7C%7C%7C%7C&CID=A_UK_L1&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-3D5Fn0REfhbBC1_vCusv1g
  • mrs_motivated
    mrs_motivated Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year to you all.

I would like to join in to please. I have been feeling a bit eurgggh after putting 2 stone on over the last year and I'm determined to lose it this year (back to SW this week). As this 2 stone seems to come and go, I have a fab wardrobe (currently not in use, but generally good quality and in a classic style) and a frumpy wardrobe (in use, but needs to change).

Goals for 2018
    1. Lose the 2 stone and keep it off (throw away frump clothes when they are to big)
    2. Only buy essential new clothes....use what I have.
    3. Use up the tons of lotions, potions and perfumes etc.
    4. Get back to my 10,000 steps a day, this really makes me feel
    much better in myself.
    5. Make time for me...30 minutes a day of just ME time.

My word for the year will be Tenacity.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone

Please can I join too please?

My word is THRIVE

I am struggling with some anxiety at the moment so this seems a natural step in the return of the real Pauline, not the frightened one around at the moment

Good fabbing
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • 117pauline wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Please can I join too please?

My word is THRIVE

I am struggling with some anxiety at the moment so this seems a natural step in the return of the real Pauline, not the frightened one around at the moment

Good fabbing
    Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I had bad anxiety attacks in 2016 due to job stress workload, answer ended up being having some counselling, I moved house with my husband and mortgage paid off and left the job as soon as the anxiety attack happened and now work part time temping 20-25 hours a week.
    Its a horrible feeling.
    Chin up

Tracey
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Oooh, do like that bag Chanie especially as you can wear it cross body.
    Indie that article from Dr Chatterjee was very interesting thank you, am also toying with the idea of sending for the book, my sleep can be very erratic at times and I know it impacts on my health at times.

Welcome to all new fabbers, this thread is a lovely and supportive place to be :)

It's been a very wet and cold day here, after spending the morning at the stables I must admit that haven't gone too far this afternoon but did take the opportunity to update my CV in preparation for applying for any suitable part-time jobs. I am in no hurry and will only go for something if it fits my criteria of hours and location.

Right, I have self imposed a ban on all devices after 8pm so best be off :rotfl:
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi all, just reporting in to say that I managed 25 mins of yoga tonight after putting my wee boy to bed. :j I feel so much better for doing it already. :)

My DS then decided to wake up & have had to leave him crying as he just wants me to hold him all the time. :( He is 7 months old and very stubborn, have been sitting listening to him cry for 20 minutes so far & feeling terrible. Last time he cried for over an hour before I gave in. Some nights he just doesn't want to be on his own in his cot. :(

We've had a good day up to this point as managed to get his room tidied & sort through all his clothes, packing away the things that are too small (WHY do babies have so much stuff?) in between feeds/weaning & nap times etc. Now just feeling fed-up. :cool:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure