Perfume for a lady in her 60's - any suggestions?

Comments

• I don't think you should choose a perfume based on someone's age , that seems very odd to me because surely it's about what scents / smells they like.

My mum is in her 70's and would hate to receive yardley or lizzie Arden or similar that younger people think are old people's brands .

My mum would be thrilled to receive jo Malone or Marc Jacobs .
  • I am of a similar age - Chanel No 5 is my posh favourite, White Linen, Chloe, Issey Miyake I come and go at. Amirage is my all time favourite that I always go back too but one recently that I really love is Origins Ginger - a really lovely different scent which I will definitely buy again (and am dropping hints for for Christmas!!)
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Estes Lauder Beautiful.

Great fragrance and suits any age group.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2016 at 3:21AM
    I'm a similar age, and love Chanel No 5 for nights and Clinique Happy for days. However, I'd take your mum to your nearest department store/Boots so she can try before you buy - even the most expensive perfumes can smell 'odd' on some people (something to do with skin chemistry?)

I don't know if it's still available, but I was given a bottle of Elizabeth Arden 'Blue Grass' some years ago. It won't have been cheap - but once it had warmed on my skin it smelled just like vick vapour rub!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Make some lady's day, and without judging on age, ask her of she'd try a few samples on her so you can smell if they'd be right for a special lady in your life.

My father has beguiled many a waiting hour at airports thus, the damsels were all stunners & willing to be charmed by a clearly taken chap - no harm no foul. Mum has been kept in sundry fragrances, both are happy & their golden wedding anniversary is in a fortnight.
    Us daughters reckon it's the smooth talking practice that's helped...
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    DigForVictory, your father sounds delightful, but I'm not sure his smooth talking method would have quite the same effect coming from me. I think some ladies might find it a bit odd if another woman asked them to try on perfumes for them :rotfl:.

I agree that perfume is such a personal thing and whatever I choose might not suit her. But my mum insists I pick for her, and isn't interested in me taking her out to a perfume shop. She just keeps saying 'get me something nice', which doesn't help!

I've ordered White Linen for her. I really hope she likes it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Plenty of ideas for next year too.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Make her feel like a Queen by giving her the Queen's perfume!

Penhaligons Mini Her Set £41 but use code JOLLYGOOD (no, really) for 15% off online. Not sure when that ends

MINIHERSET.jpg
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I don't think you should choose a perfume based on someone's age , that seems very odd to me because surely it's about what scents / smells they like.

My mum is in her 70's and would hate to receive yardley or lizzie Arden or similar that younger people think are old people's brands .

My mum would be thrilled to receive jo Malone or Marc Jacobs .

Totally agree with this. At one time my daughter and I coincidentally wore the same perfume - Agent Provocateur. We both loved it and it smelt nice on us. The right perfume is more about personal taste and body chemistry than age. I'm mid 50's and like Kenzo Flowers and Molton Brown's Shisur amongst others. I've never liked Channel no 5 and never will, whatever my age.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I know you didn't want to give cheap but Lidl Suddenly perfume is supposed to be similar to Chanel No 5, & a nurse did recently ask me if I was wearing it :D Not bad for £3.99 eh. Failing that I quite like Cacharel Eden, & not too over poweringly strong like some.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Just Pink from Next is nice and any of the Marc Jacobs Daisy, Dot, Honey are my favourites, I'm in my 50s.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure