Project Solar panels quote.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MrHockallz wrote: »
    Well based on the calculation from that site and from the Project Solar report my roof is 8 metres by 5 metres and the LG site is estimating a 3-5kw system with up to 18 panels. I know that's an estimate but its pretty encouraging. As for roof obstacles its pretty clear no skylights and the chimney is on the north facing side.

Hi. That all sounds quite promising. You can measure the width of the roof simply by measuring the wall at ground level.

Running with 8m by 5m and allowing for panel gaps (20mm) and approx 200mm to 300mm round the edges (sides - wind lift, bottom - gutter run-off, top - too close to ridge which might raise property profile which requires planning permission), suggests:

7 panels by 2 panels in portrait 7.14m by 3.2m.

4 panels by 4 panels in landscape 6.5m by 4.1m.

Aiming for 4kWp to max out the highest FiT rate (it drops by 10% if you go over 4) then 16 250Wp panels, or 14 slightly more powerful panels perhaps 270Wp to 285Wp. Panel sizes based on approx 1m by 1.6m.

So plenty of options, and if no obstructions or shading, then a relatively simple system ....... famous last words.

Have a trawl (not troll) at the G&E threads, and you'll see lots of discussions on prices, quotes and deals people have signed up to. They are typically all under £6k now, with a large number in the £5k (or even lower) range.

Are you comfortable working out the income streams? See the FAQs for a breakdown. You were right to question the astronomical energy price inflation figures.

Also, there's a FiT degression of 3.5% on 1/7/15. I think you'd be better off simply assuming you'll miss that now, and concentrate on getting a good install and good quote, rather than rush to beat the 3.5% and end up paying 10% more for the install.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • MrHockallz
    MrHockallz Posts: 35 Forumite
    Another query I have is would solar panels have any effect on my mortgage?
    Would I need to inform my mortgage company and would it affect remortgaging at a later date?

Also is it worth considering this if I would need to apply for credit or would it only really be worth it to buy outright?

Thanks again all for the help.
    MFW: £65,421 to go!
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Would I need to inform my mortgage company and would it affect remortgaging at a later date?

Also is it worth considering this if I would need to apply for credit or would it only really be worth it to buy outright?

Only time the panels will affect your mortgage is if you have rent a roof(RaR) panels on your roof, these having to take a lease over your roof for a 25 year period. Some folk have mentioned a new mortgage being harder to source, how true it is is anyones guess but would you risk it?

If you buy the panels the only people that need to know about them are you and probably your insurance company, would you inform your insurance company about a new conservatory/ new windows or even a re-roof for instance

Lastly I actually bought my WNW on a 0% purchase credit card if that helps
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Pulpdiction
    Pulpdiction Posts: 228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry if this is pedantic, but have you checked you have actually cancelled the whole agreement and not just the install, you need to make sure the whole thing is cancelled properly.

I'd just hate to see you on here in a few weeks saying they are forcing you to take the system as you only cancelled the installation, not the agreement.
  • MrHockallz
    Sorry if this is pedantic, but have you checked you have actually cancelled the whole agreement and not just the install, you need to make sure the whole thing is cancelled properly.

I'd just hate to see you on here in a few weeks saying they are forcing you to take the system as you only cancelled the installation, not the agreement.

Funnily enough I was having the same thought as it seemed a little too easy. I just called them back and it seems my agreement was not cancelled and there was another staff member I needed to speak to. She was on a call apparently but the lady I spoke to said she will email the information through and the are going to email me confirmation the agreement has been cancelled.
  • Martyn1981

As tunnel said, do they need to know. Is there anything about 'material changes to the property' (I just made that up) or something similar? If in doubt you could ask, though it might just confuse the person you speak to.

Is there any chance of adding the PV cost to the mortgage? Cheapish finance, but you'd need to make overpayments (put all the FiT, export and savings monies in at least), otherwise you'll be paying interest for 25 years, which would probably blow the economics.

If you're south facing, with no shading, and can go to 4kWp (smaller systems cost more proportionately) then you might have room for some finance costs if at a low rate.

Do you mind posting a rough location (nearest town/city), we'll then be able to give a decent guesstimate of income.

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • MrHockallz
    In all honesty I think I might be leaning toward the 0% credit card option if I can get a decent deal and payment period.

Depending on the total cost I reckon I have enough to cover maybe 2/3rds of the cost so I wouldn't need a great deal of finance in any respect but it would blow my budget for any other home improvements.

I live in Gosforth in Tyne and Wear, Postcode is NE3 if that helps.
  • MrHockallz
    I'm very pleased (and somewhat relieved) to confirm I have received email confirmation the order and subsequent finance has been cancelled by Project Solar.

I also have a guy from TP Solar calling tomorrow to discuss my requirements. Has anyone had any experience with them?

With the fantastic information I've gathered from you so far I have a much clearer idea of what to ask for and if I go ahead with a quote and survey will update accordingly.
    :beer:
  • Martyn1981
    In all honesty I think I might be leaning toward the 0% credit card option if I can get a decent deal and payment period.

Depending on the total cost I reckon I have enough to cover maybe 2/3rds of the cost so I wouldn't need a great deal of finance in any respect but it would blow my budget for any other home improvements.

I live in Gosforth in Tyne and Wear, Postcode is NE3 if that helps.

I can't seem to get the PVGIS website, that's odd!

Ok, let's take an educated guess, perhaps slightly on the pessimistic side, of 900kWh/kWp as you are quite northerly.

So FiT income, 3,600 * 12.92p = £465
    Export (deemed 50%) 1,800 * 4.85p = £81
    Leccy savings (approx £80 to £160) = £120

Total - a devilish £666pa

A good return on £6k, but a great return on £5k. The cheaper the price then the less you'll need to borrow, and also the greater the percentage ROI (return on investment) which gives you slightly more wiggle room on financing.

I'll update the figures once PVGIS is back.

Mart.

• MrHockallz
    Morning all,

I had my TP Solar quote this AM based on 16 panels which she said may or may not fit - and on the surface seems a lot more competitive than the Project Solar deal:

16 x 250w QCell panels – total price £4850
    OR
    16 x 250w 833 black on black panels – total price £5450

Both systems would include the following –

SMA 4000TL inverter
    Geo monitor – to enable you to monitor the performance of your system easily
    EPC Assessment and report
    All roof mountings, fixtures and fittings
    All electrical fixtures and fittings including generation meter, isolators etc
    All associated warranties and paperwork (including the feed in tariff paperwork) would be completed with you on the day of installation – this includes our 10 year insurance backed workmanship warranty.

Based on the details above we estimate your annual income and overall investment payback to be as follows:

Investment in 4.00kWp System: *
    £ 4,850.00

First Year:
    Income from Feed-In Generation Tariff @ 13.39p/kWh:
    £ 484.60

Income from exporting energy @ 4.85p/kWh:
    £ 87.76

Electricity Saving:
    £ 195.72

Total Benefit:
    £ 768.09

Payback Time: