Why do i get Hygienest charges at the dentist

Options
124»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and now find that I'm still expected to do that while having to live off a small pension and my savings

If you are paying tax and NI in retirement then you aren't THAT poor.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    After she has done my checkup, my NHS dentist asks if I'd like a scale and polish. She does this immediately and the charge is just the normal band 1 fee.

It's interesting reading this. That's the way my dentist always operated but no longer. I'd assumed this change was just in my local practice but reading other posts it obviously isn't.

We have a family private dental package which we were almost forced to join some years ago when NHS dentists in our area were almost impossible to find (like Hens' teeth;)). My DD has needed quite a lot of treatment so we've probably got value for money over the years.

So because of the package, I don't know how much each individual bit of treatment costs. I have to say that some of the check ups I've had recently have been so incredibly cursory and quick they really wouldn't warrant paying over the odds for. I realise the dentist is highly qualified so we're paying for that but maybe someone else could be trained (as with nurses in GPs surgeries) to do a basic check .

We have a hygienist who does the scale and polish. She's very good. 2 visits a year are part of the package with her.

Other than the hygienist though our practice is going to h*ll in a handcart! The owner has been unwell on long term sick leave, his assistant on maternity leave and so we've had a string of locums staying for a few weeks/months at a time. The assistant is back now but seems to take time off whenever she wants as they're desperate to keep her happy. So we get cancelled appointments again and again!
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Although eg dental therapists can do some of the work that a dentist does eg fillings , baby teeth extractions they can only do a check up to the limits of their capability.

A dental check up is not just checking your teeth but also your oral and general health. It is used to formulate a treatment plan that may be very complex. Not only does a dentist study for fives years and one year postgraduate but they have to keep on studying for the rest of their life to be able to assess and correctly treat people. That requires an in depth knowledge of oral and general health. Eg there are over a hundred health problems you can diagnose from looking at the toungue alone.

One of the things private treatment offers you is choice . If you are not happy with the check ups you get then change practices. Unfortunately most locums will be used to working in NHS practices and may well not be used to private practice where you are given the time to do a good job. Long term sickness for a practice owner is a very difficult thing because of the difficulties with locum coverage keeping the practice going.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Interesting post....as previously posted I see Maxio Facial for possible OLP and now think it is Burning Mouth Syndrome, I am registered with same NHS dental practice for over 25 years, again (sigh) without dentist as left (3rd in 5 years), my old dentist always cleaned my teeth, because she said I warranted her doing it and not hygienist.
    She even asked my GP to do blood test years ago due to gum changes when I reached a certain age!!! After her the next dentist suggested I see hygienst and I explained what previous dentist said and she too did it on NHS.

Last dentist knew that I had ongoing dental issues and ongoing hosptial appt, he sent me to hygienst cost £44, hygienst then suggested I go to her 3- 4 times a year, when I complained and she spoke with dentist and he agreed see hgienist twice and he would clean along with my six monthly check ups, to say he was useless is unfair, he was just pushed for time and the company who seem to own many dentistup and down the country now - only provide a private hygienst.
    I am seeing her tomorrow and sadly am of the opinion that the money is reluctantly spent but needed.
    When I next see Maxio Facial I will ask them if they suggest I have a clinical need, and if and when there is a new dentist I will be happy to negotiate check up and clean twice and hygienst twice.....wish me luck
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dentist of many years used to do the scale and polish as needed as part of check-up. After he retired I've had a couple of dentists who both recommended seeing an hygienist. Like many I regarded this as a money earner for them but eventually I went to a hygienist.
    I now go annually to the hygienist because to my surprise my teeth are now giving far less little niggles.
    I think the cost is £45 but I'm with her for 30 minutes (or more) which of course is far more than the scale and polish scenario so I've become, rather late in life, a convert.
    If you are having troubles (like gum issues or sensitive teeth), I would recommend trying the hygienist and see if it makes a difference that is worth the outlay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure