Submitted mine today 6th April :):beer:

Comments

• meat_n2_reg
    meat_n2_reg Posts: 285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello
    I believe i'm due a tax rebate from last year
    Have signed into my online tax account
    Tax year ending 05/04/2018 is now listed however when click check did you pay too much tax
    get a page not found message ??
    Thanks Steve
  • meat_n2_reg

The op is referring to Self Assessment repayments. Have you filed a Self Assessment return?
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 April 2018 at 8:24PM
    Prepared the wife's and mine this morning but haven't submitted them yet as just waiting to confirm some interest figures. However I am pleased to see that they are now including the transferable Marriage Allowance as reduction in the tax payable (or in my case increase in rebate due) for the recipient on the tax calculation page Minor point but helps to make things clearer than last year.
  • meat_n2_reg
    meat_n2_reg Posts: 285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry not a self assessment

Using the income tax online portal

Regards Steve
  • You should get it by November according to gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments
  • malcindebt
    malcindebt Posts: 367 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2018 at 10:28PM
    If its a non-SA repayment HMRC cannot process it until at least 20 April.

This is because they have to allow 14 days for employers to make any adjustments to the end of year figures in the wk52/Mth12 salary submissions.

After 20 April you will be able to submit your claim via the 'Check your income tax' section of the personal tax account. (PTA)

Even if the PTA were to allow you to submit the online form/request HMRC would not be able to process it until at least 20 April.

If you do nothing then HMRC's system will automatically review the details. This process usually takes place between June and November.

At least thats what my accountant has told me.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not altogether sure this info is correct as if you have any savings interest the banks have until 30th June to notify HMRC. So you may get a refund followed by a bill.
  • Jmsmith77
    Jmsmith77 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Been self employed last 10yrs submitted on 6th at 635am before went work.. next day Saturday in credit but date updated is 6th requested repayment checked today an still shows friday 6th do systems update over weekends as last yr 6th refund bank 9days later same as year before as do with the refund car broke so losing money thanks
  • They update working days online so tomorrow will show todays date.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    Not altogether sure this info is correct as if you have any savings interest the banks have until 30th June to notify HMRC. So you may get a refund followed by a bill.

I'm actually suprised that Malcindebt seems to have given some useful advice for a change.

badmemory- You are correct that a bill may be due on bank interest, but then it is the taxpayers responsibility to advise HMRC of any interest that may result in a tax charge when they request the refund. This can be done on the R39 iForm ('Check Your Income Tax' section of the personal tax account)

At 20 April most people will be able to check what interest they have received in the previous tax year. I know my bank inform me of this online before this date (Just checked and it's already shown that I got a massive £2.12 in 2017/2018).

If the request is made over the phone then he question of 'Have you received any other taxable income?' should be asked by the adviser. The taxpayer then has the opportunity to tell HMRC of any interest/dividends they have received.

As long as the amount given at this point matches what the banks provide to HMRC then the correct amount of tax (if any) will be refunded.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport