What temperature do you keep your house?

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I keep mine at 23c - any lower than that and I feel chilly.

frogletina

23C! Do you walk about the house in shorts and T-shirt!?

I'd hate to see your utility bills. But then maybe you've got money to burn - quite literally.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    no1catman wrote: »
    23C! Do you walk about the house in shorts and T-shirt!?

I'd hate to see your utility bills. But then maybe you've got money to burn - quite literally.

At 20c I was on the sofa with blankets on because I was that cold. I just couldn't function - and I can always tell when the temperature goes down even to 22c

So I have made the decision I need the temperature to be 23c and if my energy bills are higher than average as a result of that then so be it. I'm sure I spend less than other people in other areas of expenditure

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Different things can influence different peoples perceptions of how comfortable they feel in different temperatures.

I've come to the conclusion personally that I would/do find a noticeable number of peoples houses too cold. That is probably down to the fact that I'm Southern English and have spent a few years living abroad as a child in hotter climates. Add the fact that most people are very overweight these days and I'm just about 2 stones overweight (still!) and more overweight people will probably want things at a lower temperature too than someone slim to mildly overweight.

I'm guessing Frogletina is slim/southern English or possibly from a hot country and hence wants it warmer.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm guessing Frogletina is slim/southern English or possibly from a hot country and hence wants it warmer.

I wish! I need to lose a couple of stone, and I live in the Midlands where I was born.

However, I do love hot countries and have two or three holidays abroad where I'm really happy with temperatures which can sometimes get to 40c. Walking back to my hotel at 2.00am in the morning when it is often 29c is my idea of heaven.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ideally we'd be at 21c in the days and about 19c at night, but for various reasons "it doesn't work like that."

We have a conservatory, which can keep the whole place warm enough by day if there's a hint of sunshine, and a wood burner which pushes out around 3-5kW in the evenings, independent of what the thermostatic valves on the CH do. Some doors are closed because our cats aren't allowed a free reign, so bedrooms can be at 18-19c at night and other parts of the house at maybe 23c until the fire dies down. Add in the timer for the CH, which gives us 2 hours mornings and around 4 hours evenings, and it's a funny mix but it seems to work all right for us (at home most of the time.)

It's a warmly-sited well insulated bungalow anyway, so even on warmish January or February days, we might have to open the back door for a while to stay below that 24 or 25c that some people like. Both of us hate really hot weather.
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

IF it gets lower than 12c we sit around a candle!!

If it drops below 10c !, we light it.;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    robotrobo wrote: »

IF it gets lower than 12c we sit around a candle!!

If it drops below 10c !, we light it.;)
    Ah yes. A candle under an upturned flower pot was what one was supposed to sit around whilst in the Anderson bomb shelter at the bottom of the garden.

Whether anyone ever did or not, I'm far too young to know, but like a lot of wartime advice, I suspect a psychological improvement was the objective, rather than a real one.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Even thought I've said I keep mine set to 18c I'd never not turn the heating up if I felt cold, regardless of the cost. I spend money on dafter things than heating my home.

People clearly can have very different temperature comfort zones. I often have to put the heating on in the summer when my sister visits. I almost feel sick with the heat but she literally goes a bit blue at the temperatures I think are comfy.
  • Rexxel
    Rexxel Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    21-23 in the evening during chilly weeks like this! Have the Worcester Wave programmed to minimum 15.

Our house is old and not really insulated though so we find the kitchen and bathroom the worst. Hallway probably the warmest area of the house when the heatings on.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    About 5,778 K, but it's easy for me, as the Sun shines out of my fundament! :D

(In the real world about 18-19.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport