Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    May I ask how much credit you have built up hengus. After purchasing today's hugely discounted jumbo pack I am 205 in credit. This is due in part to me not truly understanding how powershop worked in the beginning and purchasing everything. Nowadays I only purchase if the discount is 20% or greater hence no more future powerpacks once I've maxed out the February powerpack.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 14 November 2017 at 8:57PM
    My Winter Jumbo Pack is £5.68 for £9.04 of credit - presumably because my usage is low. Once I buy it, I'll be ~£150 ahead, and I haven't made a decision about whether to buy February's PowerPacks yet

I wonder what date they use for calculating usage - e.g. I knew my usage has recently gone up (estimated reading was somewhat lower than actual), so I entered a meter read and then waited to see if the paradise special would be re-generated, but it wasn't.

Presumably, if I'd have entered my meter read earlier (and assuming of course the increased usage had been equal throughout the period) then they'd have detected my increased usage and given me a larger amount of energy in the Paradise Special pack the other day?

Likewise although £5.68 is the lowest from what's been posted on here, I imagine it's higher than I'd have received had I not been entering updated readings and my estimated readings remained 1~ KwH per day lower than they actually were?
  • Tafrock
    February's heavily discounted future pack is likely to be the last for several months with such a large discount Somerset la la la. If you can afford it I'd buy it though like you I have far too much credit in my account at the moment. I'll just not buy any future packs now until my credit falls to a reasonable level as the discounts won't be that great. I find powershop recalculate your special powerpack rates at the beginning of each month. I read my meter daily and that's what I've experienced as documented earlier in this thread. I'm finding I am saving money using powershop. I've saved 93.82 off standard rates over five months which easily eclipses the best rate available from other companies.
  • I have checked my Easy Saver Promise July 2017 against what is currently available to me on the MSE Cheap Energy Club. Assuming that the unit prices are like for like in the CEC table, the Easy Saver Promise November 2017 is 12.191 p/unit compared with my 12.800 p/unit.

Does that mean I could switch from the July 2017 (no exit fee) to the November 2017 and be better off?
  • Tafrock
    No need to switch neilsedaka. If you are. Proactively buying heavily discounted powerpacks regularly you will quite easily beat your easy saver promise. The easy saver promise will only kick in if you don't buy powerpacks regularly and thus don't achieve maximum savings. There is only really one tariff with powershop and that's the standard one. You save money by buying powerpacks and the more you buy the more you save.
  • I have indeed been buying the heavily discounted Powerpacks and am in credit until March. I don't understand though why I would not be better off by switching?

Are you saying that the standard tariff for July 2017 and November 2017 are identical?
  • Tafrock
    Powershops standard rates have not altered. They are still 16.6p standing charge per day and 13.5 per per unit in my region. This is the only tariff that actually exists. Any discounts achieved when buying powerpacks are discounts off these rates.
    The easy saver promise is there so that If people join powershop and don't buy powerpacks or buy very little powerpacks they get a limited discount as a safety net so the easy saver promise is the maximum you will pay for your submitted estimated annual usage. In my case it's only 20 pounds ie 475 as opposed to 495 per year.

However if I buy powerpacks regularly I can achieve a annual price of 408 pounds ie a much bigger saving. Therefore if you buy powerpacks regularly it is pointless trying to switch to a new easy saver promise. In fact they won't let you. You would have to leave and rejoin powershop. Just keep buying your powerpacks. You will save more that way
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am in the process of switching away from Powershop. I got a nice e-mail last night acknowledging that a transfer of supply was in progress - no problem. This morning, I looked at my online account and noted that I was moving home, not switching, and they would be grateful for a meter reading. Rang PS, and I was told that this was normal practice. After speaking to a Manager, he agreed that the webpage was wrong. To complicate matters further, I reviewed a 'postie' this morning showing an average daily cost of 78p but a fall in my credit of c.£100 in a week. PS think that this is because their computer has written off some of my paid for Future Packs. They are looking into it.
  • Tafrock
    Have you found a cheaper supplier hengus. The only one for me I can find cheaper is iresa and I ain't going there. To be honest I'm quite happy with powershop anyway
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am in the process of switching away from Powershop.

Who are you moving to? Also, have you had any further contact with the regulator re. safety of customers' credit?

I've worked out that if the discount on offer from PS falls to 14.7% or lower, then I'm better off with another supplier (not Iresa though!!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback