Time to sort my finances out

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good that you have been offered an interview and that you may be moving closer to friends and family. Having a support network close by is important. My elder daughter had to move out of the area we live in for work reasons and is looking for jobs closer now as she finds living where she is a bit isolating apart from work colleagues.

I assume you will clear the debts and your family loan if you are selling up? Will the equity be enough for you to buy somewhere in the new area?

I would not worry about what your current employer thinks. You have to do what is right for you. Good luck for the interview.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Flowers123
    Flowers123 Posts: 136 Forumite
    I know how your daughter feels. It can be hard being away from family especially around Christmas time as I end up working until Christmas Eve and usually have to come back for a few days before new year. Yes I could clear all my debts if I sell up but I really want to pay them off myself and learn to budget. I would definitely pay my parents backs when I sell. If I do get the job then I could rent my house out for a bit and use the money to pay off my debts quickly. I would get about £800 a month if I rented out my house and I would have to factor in agents fees and maintenance and I could use the rest to clear my debt. Houses near my parents are similar to where I live so I wouldn't have a problem with finding anywhere. I will have a lot of decisions to make if I get this new role and I don't want to rush into anything. Thank you, I am very nervous. It's not until next week so I have time to prepare.

I didn't go to the supermarket after work so I've nearly had a NSD. Another birthday collection came round today and I managed to sneak in 80p. I always feel like I should put more in but I am learning the value of money so I need to stop being so generous.
    :beer:
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fab news about the interview, good luck :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, well done on getting the interview but try to keep a clear head; they have obviously seen other candidates so just take it steady, OK? You sound a little as if you have mentally moved already. I really hope you get it but do not want you to be devastated if you are unlucky this time. It does not mean there will not be other opportunities down the line.

I don't blame you in the slightest about the w/m. I have read those tips on here but personally, I loathe the idea of second hand white goods; as you say, hygiene! No proper guarantee/delivery/disposal of old appliance.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us all updated on your interview.
  • Flowers123
    What an awful day. A customer reduced me to tears. Why are people so horrid, we are all human at the end of the day and have our own problems to overcome.

Worked overtime after work so a bit extra towards the credit card debt :)

Stopped at the supermarket and spent £15 on food for the rest of the week. Got loads of main meals and stuff I can take to work. Stuck to my list and I don't think I will need to visit the supermarket until next Monday as I'm going home to the parents again this weekend as interview is Monday. The extra money saved will need to be spent on fuel. Got over half a tank left but I am going home for a long weekend the day before payday so need to save a bit for that.

I've just had a glass of wine and cooked a lovely meal to try and forget about today but I know I'll wake up in the middle of the night worrying about work. I always think I would like to move up the career ladder but I do tend to worry about everything which isn't healthy and I don't want the extra stress. The new role I have gone for is a similar level but I know I would feel more confident working for them as they treat their staff really well. In my current role I'm so worried I'll make a mistake and it makes me nervous to make decisions for myself which I am perfectly capable to do.

Sold another item for £25 which I will keep in my current account. Any extra money leftover will be going towards my debts at the end of the month. Pleased my overall debt hasn't increased despite my rubbish month.

Going to finish my wine before bed and hope tomorrow will be a better day. The bank holiday weekend can't come soon enough!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bless, I know what it's like. Some people think they have a right to behave any way they like and forget that they would not want to be treated the way they are treating others. Perhaps that customer also felt bad after your conversation, who knows? For all the run-ins I have had with my energy provider, not once have I spoken to someone in such a manner. On the rare occasions I have received less than great customer service, I have just ended the conversation and called again. Most times, we have a really good laugh together, I get what I want, sometimes more than I was going to ask for.

Chin up, Flowers, so long as you handled the situation in a professional manner, there is no reason to doubt yourself. That customer does not merit a single one of your tears.

Today will be better and what a great week end you have to look forward to, and your interview on Monday. I look forward to hearing how it went and wish you the very best of luck. S xx
  • Flowers123
    Thank you Smodlet. Yes, I always remain professional whilst on the phone :)

No overtime today thankfully as I'm exhausted after this week. Spent £9.02 on lots of essential toiletries. I had run out of nearly everything so went to a cheap shop and managed to get a lot for my money, so much cheaper than b*ots. If I go to b*ots I end up spending money on things I don't need.

Looking forward to payday so I can start making payments towards my debts and reducing the overall amount and update my signature. My overall debt has still reduced this month despite my various troubles.

If I stick to my budget on fuel and food I won't be in my overdraft this month :) this saves me paying the £6 fee.

I was a bit naughty at lunch today and I did spend £5 on a top I saw on e*bay along with £1.70 postage. I had to bin one of my favorite tops as it was so worn out so this is to replace it. Normally I would go to the shops and spend at least £25-£30 on a top so it is an improvement for me.

I'll be going to bed early tonight as another full day at work tomorrow plus overtime. Once I get into the routine of doing some overtime it's not too bad.
  • Flowers123
    NSD :) also I've done some overtime. I have recently had a new manager and it's making all the difference. Seeing an improvement with my work load which is making me feel a lot less stressed. I'm one of the most productive members of my team and I usually end up having a lot more work than other people and it was never noticed before but I did receive a big thank you today :j:j

Looking forward to going home again tomorrow night :T when I was younger I was desperate to move to a city but now I love the countryside and pretty houses and cute little towns.
  • Flowers123
    Checked my loan balance late last night and it's less than I thought. It's now £15,088.26 so I've updated my signature. £95 left in my current account. Need to get fuel which will be another £20. 12 days until payday now :) can't wait to pay off more. Shouldn't spend much this weekend or next weekend so it's just food I might need. I do have lots in the store cupboard so planning to make a homemade curry and I want to get some turkey mince so I can make meals for the freezer. The overtime should be around £45 after tax and I have found out I will get paid it this month. More items to sell too :) so glad it's Friday, it's usually our busiest day as everyone leaves things to the last minute and phones up before the weekend!
  • Flowers123
    £19 spent on fuel and I was naughty and spent £4 on a Mc*onalds on the way home.

My £5 top from e*ay came today and it's lovely, very pleased :)

Having a relaxing evening cuddling the dog and going to have an early night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport