"Starting Fresh" sounds better than "whoops"

Hello world!

I am refusing to say I "gave up" on my first diary (which can be found here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5572568).

What actually happened was that there was a family bereavement, my job took more out of me than I had to give, a 3-year relationship broke down, I had a postgraduate diploma to complete for my job AND a teenager to look after at home.

Would you just look at that list of excuses?

Essentially, I gave up on things that were important for me because they weren't helping me hit the bare minimum of things I needed to do. It wasn't just finances, it was also my weight and opportunities to meet new people. Well, I can't live like I have been forever, and these diaries are full of incredibly busy people juggling more than I am, and STILL managing to pay off their debts so I'm BACK.

Next post will detail my debts as they stand and my goals... I'm glad to be back :)
Mortgage: £83,000
Credit Card Debt: £1,700
Loan Debt: £3,000

Comments

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    About Me:

For those of you I haven't 'met' yet - I'm 28, single(ish), have a mortgage and I work for a university in one of their professional service departments (read: student services). I also sort of look after a 16 year old via an anti-homelessness charity, for which I get paid. Basically, it's very light-touch foster care.

I'm 2/3 through completing a PgDip which I need to do as a standard for my job, and recently my stepmother passed away so I'm currently doing a lot of running about making sure my dad is ok. He isn't though, hence the running around.

I don't have heaps and heaps of debt but I do have a weird relationship with money and even though I'm earning pretty well (certainly better than I ever have before), I'm living paycheck to paycheck and sitting regularly in my overdraft. Plus, I'm ambitious about where I want to live in the future and what I want to do to my house now, all of which mean I need to crack this finance thing!

Debts
    - Sainsbury's credit card: £1,490 (0% but not for long)
    - Barclayloan from roof repair £5,500-ish (fluctuating with the 4% interest)
    - Mortgage £86,500-ish (also fluctuating with 3.99% interest, fixed until Sept 2020)

Goals
    - Clear Sainsbury's card before the end of this year
    - Pay off my Barclayloan by the end of June 2019
    - Start making overpayments of £200 per month on my mortgage to lower the amount left before my fix runs out
    - Save an emergency fund of 3 months of my salary (so, about £5,000)
    - Start saving towards a dream holiday for my 30th birthday (I'd love £5,000 there too!!)
    - 'Age' my money so that I'm not living in my overdraft as standard at certain times in the month.

I don't think any of the above is ridiculous, is it? So... why have I found it so hard?? :eek:

• JWPopps
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1679.36
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 520
    Total monthly income.................... 2199.36

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 398
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 92
    Electricity and Gas............................. 75.45
    Water rates............................. 30.1
    Telephone (inc. internet)................... 28
    Mobile phone............................ 33
    TV Licence.............................. 12.37
    Bank Fee....................... 3
    Groceries (plus clothing allowance). ......................... 200
    Travel to work............................ 84
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 28.97
    Buildings and Contents insurance...................... 16.41
    Life assurance ......................... 37.87
    Boiler Cover......................... 17.15
    Giving to charity...... 19 [I know, I know]
    Haircuts................................ 0 [My friend is a hairdresser and owes me lots of favours]
    Entertainment........................... 85
    Emergency and holiday fund.......................... 100
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1260.32

Assets

Cash.................................... 1330
    House value (Gross)..................... 110000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 500
    Total Assets............................ 111830

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 187000...(398)......3.99
    Total secured & HP debts...... 187000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Credit Card....................1490......288.......0
    Loan...........................5600......172.......4
    Total unsecured debts..........7090......460.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,199.36
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,260.32
    Available for debt repayments........... 939.04
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 460
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 479.04

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 111,830
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -187,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -7,090
    Net Assets.............................. -82,260

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

So... the thing about the above SOA is that it looks SO reasonable on paper, and yet I don't have this much money left every month. If I did, I wouldn't be here.

• JWPopps
    Part of the reason I'm back now, after a few months of just giving up/despairing of ever not 'feeling' poor (I'm definitely not poor, not by the standards of 17 year old me), is that I signed up for the 34 day free trial with YNAB.

I've seen a few people talking about it over the months on these diaries, and although I am very wary about paying a significant chunk of money on software that is supposed to help me SAVE money, I wanted to give it a shot to see if it would have a similar kind of lightbulb effect on me I've seen it have on other people... [sidenote: is there an emoticon character for Lightbulb Moments? If not, I think MSE is missing a trick!]

Aaaaaaand... oh my gosh I'm so annoyed at myself for having to even type this it's so obvious.

I've become too used to earning the money I do, so I'm clearly frittering it away on silly little things throughout the month. Additionally, I've become too used to the idea that I'll probably be in my overdraft for a little while each month between my salary and payment from the charity, but it's ok because the next payment always covers it.

Having put in all my details into YNAB and budgeted a pretty generous budget for myself for June I was really pleased with myself. And then... I input the upcoming transaction, based on knowing when all my bills are due. That's when I realised how ridiculous my situation is...

I earn nearly £1700 a month. I budgeted for £1500, which included all my debt repayments and a pretty generous allowance for 'just having a nice time' - BUT, looking at how much is in my account now, and looking at when my next lot of bills are due, I will be £137.76 overdrawn for a week until I get the money from the charity on 8th June. In that week I will incur bank charges. So it's costing me money to live in my overdraft (so obvious, I know), and when you consider what I actually earn, there is NO REASON for me to be living so close to the edge between payments.

Plus, once I'm in my overdraft I'm always tempted to keep spending up until the next big milestone (e.g. I'd spend until £150 if I'm at £137). Looking back at all my statements confirms it. Putting it all into YNAB made it smack me in the face.

So I think I might have to pay for YNAB once my free trial runs out, so I can hold myself accountable.

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Great that you're back and having a 'real' lightbulb moment :)

YNAB does sound great from what I've read, and if £3 (?) a month helps to sort out your thinking around your finances I think that's money VERY well spent... look on it as a charitable donation to yourself. :A

It must be difficult trying to fit everything in ( hope your Dad starts to get sorted soon - it's hard) but your life has to come first . You can't really help anyone else when you're in a situation that is causing you worry/depression so getting your finances sorted will benefit everyone in the long run.

Subscribing XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • JWPopps
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Great that you're back and having a 'real' lightbulb moment :)

YNAB does sound great from what I've read, and if £3 (?) a month helps to sort out your thinking around your finances I think that's money VERY well spent... look on it as a charitable donation to yourself. :A

It must be difficult trying to fit everything in ( hope your Dad starts to get sorted soon - it's hard) but your life has to come first . You can't really help anyone else when you're in a situation that is causing you worry/depression so getting your finances sorted will benefit everyone in the long run.

Subscribing XX

Thank you Chrystal! You're absolutely right, and I had this awful night a few weeks ago where I felt like I could barely breathe because I was so stressed and felt so pulled in so many directions... if I got better at looking after myself I'll be less stressed long term and therefore in a better place to look after other people!

-JW xx

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,278 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There you are!

Happy new diary. Have subscribed of course.

Very much in your favour is that you're young and have time on your side. I wish I'd been so focused when I was your age.

I tried YNAB - it wasn't for me as it was too time consuming but I know a lot of people on here love it.

Good luck with your new journey - keep posting :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Love Love Love ynab. And recently bit the bullet and upgraded to the current, subscription version and love it all over again.

The only thing that works with ynab is checking the budget before you spend and entering transactions as you go along.
    I check my on line banking every morning (usually before I get up) to make sure everything is as it should be, then use the 'move money' function to Tilly tidy pots into the savings or mortgage overpayment pot.

Like all things it's success is based around habit and routine.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • savetosave
    savetosave Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Can you give me any info on the charity you work with ? We will have spare rooms for the first time soon and that sounds like something I would like to do x
  • JWPopps
    Hello everyone!

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Savetosave - if you look up DePaul Nightstop that!!!8217;s the umbrella charity that looks after all the smaller regional charities. Some of them are Barnardo!!!8217;s and some of them are Centrepoint, and then a bunch of them are local charities who have signed up with Nightstop. There!!!8217;s a map on the DePaul website so you should be able to find contact details for where you are in the country :)

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have just read about the charity , what a worthwhile thing to do JWPopps .

Good luck with the debt busting.m
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport