Thinking of a DRO

Im after some help please, I am thinking of applying for a DRO. However my partner is unaware of my debts. He pays all the bills and the council tax is paid out of his account, but i put the money in via a standing order every month. I also pay for the food and vets bills etc. On the budget form, it asks for my partners salary. If i put this down, how does this effect me? I dont what him to know what i have got myself into, therefore i thought about saying that i didn't have a partner, but it would be suspect, considering i dont pay rent/bills and this would show on my bank statements. How do i get round this? Anyone else in a similar situation.

Comments

• Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    As scary as it is, it's best to come clean to your other half. You have to be open and honest with your DRO application otherwise you could end up in very serious trouble. Hiding something this big from a partner really isn't a good idea. This will affect your credit rating (and theirs if you are financially connected) for 6 years.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 22 May 2018 at 10:19PM
    You will need to discuss this with him.

You will be on a public website - the insolvency register.

Any joint debts in the DRO (and you must list them) will move over to him.

It is best that you don't have any joint loan or bank account until your credit report clears - and that's 6 years.

Your intermediary will want to know his salary in order to allocate the expenses proportionately

Edit: you were buying a property last year - did that fall through?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi summer0304

Doing a DRO won't necessarily prevent you from continuing to pay a household bills contribution into your partner's account. However as fatbelly explains above, the intermediary will need to know what he earns in order to work out what proportion of the bills you should personally be covering.

You'll need to end up getting full debt advice anyway before embarking on a DRO so I'd encourage you to contact one of the charity services e.g. Citizens Advice/Stepchange/us at your earliest opportunity.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • summer0304
    summer0304 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thank you for your replies.

We don’t have any connection financially, he pays the bills. I pay for food and the council tax. We ended up getting the mortgage in just his name. I explained that I had defaulted on a couple of debts but he doesn’t know the full extent of it. He won’t need to know. It’s not like he’s going to search the insolvency register and we won’t be getting any joint debt any time in the near future. I would prefer to never get debt again actually
  • summer0304
    summer0304 Posts: 12 Forumite
    So does the company I go with to do the DRO need proof of his income / need to speak with him? I!!!8217;m happy to put his income on the form but how does it work in regards to them wanting proof? I know you don!!!8217;t agree but I just can!!!8217;t bring myself to tell him about my debt, he will be mortified, so if I can get away with not involving him, then I will. I don!!!8217;t contribute towards the mortgage, as I say, I just pay the council tax and food shopping, as this equals what he pays in mortgage and bills.

I also have done the budget thing and it works out that I overspend by over £100 a month to what I actually take home, I!!!8217;m sure I don!!!8217;t because some things, like when it asks for repairs /mot for the car, I don!!!8217;t pay very often, so I could take some of it out, will that effect my chances if I am negative? I have salary sacrifices on my pay for 2 years, it!!!8217;s not a car, would this effect me? Sorry I know I have so many questions and I will ring up someone to seek proper advice about what is best.

Really appreciate everyone help and advice
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    summer0304 wrote: »
    So does the company I go with to do the DRO need proof of his income / need to speak with him? I!!!8217;m happy to put his income on the form but how does it work in regards to them wanting proof?

will that effect my chances if I am negative?

I have salary sacrifices on my pay for 2 years, it!!!8217;s not a car, would this effect me?

OK, that's 3 questions:

1. They will probably want some sort of evidence but not need to speak to him. Ask your intermediary as this is down to the practices of the organisation you choose.

2, No, a negative financial statement is quite common now after all te benefit changes.

3. What do the salary sacrifices pay for if not a car?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure