We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cost effective way of building a compost pit

magn8p
magn8p Posts: 263 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have recently leased an allotment. Nothing was grown in the plot for over 3 years so, there is a lot of weed growth. So, naturally I would like to start with a round of rotovating.

But this will leave me with heaps of grass cuttings and weed. Instead of dumping it in the community pit, I would like to put it in the compost pit that I wish to build.

I have some idea about how to proceed:
1. Use pallets and timber to build 2 or a 3 bay cage.
2. Dump the allotment, garden and household green waste in the first pit.
3. Proceed to the second pit once the first one is full.
4. Add worm booster to the first pit and let the worms eat through the first one and proceed to the second.
5. Cover the pit with tarpaulin.

Can someone tell me if I got the method right? Please suggest any improvements in the design if you have any.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Couple of thoughts:

1. I assume by "pit" you mean bins or heaps, rather than a hole dug in the ground.
    2. Make sure that you can get into each pit at ground level, so with a hinged front, or a way of removing the front. Otherwise it's a right pain have to climb in and out, or lean over.
    3. My amendment to your rotation would be fill pit 1. When full, move it to pit 2 (mixing/aerating as you do so). When pit 1 is full again, move 2 to 3 and 1 to 2. Pit 3 should then be nearly ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure