We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ideas needed please.

Icecannon
Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
edited 20 May 2018 at 9:04PM in Gardening
Any ideas on good showy flowering plants for containers on the balcony I can buy that will put on a display fairly soon? I have looked at the local garden centre but not landed on anything, I have a whole list of bulbs to start in August, the spring bulbs have just finished so need something to replace them with...at the min I have some daylillies starting off and some white Osteospermum.

P.s balcony is fairly sunny.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Alstroemerias? I don't really do containers, but the ones I have in pots in the polytunnel are putting on a good display now.

(Those in pots outdoors were all killed by the Beast.....:()
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sunny balconies call out for geraniums, trailing, upright or both. On sale loads of places, including supermarkets at the moment

For flower power, tuberous begonias, I can recommend the Non Stop variety, on sale now from loads of places, not yet in flower but will be shortly. I bought a punnet of 4 from Morries at the weekend for instance £2
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure