Comments

• Louisedebt
    Louisedebt Posts: 8 Forumite
    My figures
    Rent £360 Rent:£17 agreed amount to arrears of £306
    Water £39
    Council tax £65
    Gas/Electricity £103 £3 agreed amount to arrears of £1016
    Telephone/mobile/internet £135 Suggested reduction.
    TV licence £13
    Repairs/maintenance £6
    Childcare £543
    Fines/CCJs/decrees £10
    Life insurance/pensions £7
    Hire purchase / logbook loan £117 £3 suggested amount to arrears of £93
    Spares/servicing £29
    Road tax £12
    Insurance £119
    Fuel/parking £174
    Food/toiletries/cleaning £260 Reduced from £450
    Medicine/prescriptions £9
    Dentist/opticians £3 Reduced from £11.
    Clothing/footwear £36
    Newspaper/magazines
    Sports/hobbies/entertainment £28 Reduced from £78.
    Children's pocket money
    Other (Overpayment) £30 ESA - £500 outstanding

No of adults 1
    No of dependants 1

Your Income Amount
    Take home pay £1,443
    Child Benefit £87
    Child Tax Credit £434

Total Income £1,964
    Total Expenditure £2,098
    Surplus (Deficit) (£-134)

Budget Comments
    Please Note: Payments are not being
    administered by StepChange Debt Charity.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    OK so you've got £1964 of income.

I don't think you've got £1914 of expenditure so I don't think this is a DRO. Potential problems in red
    My figures
    Rent £360 Rent:£17 agreed amount to arrears of £306
    Water £39
    Council tax £65
    Gas/Electricity £103 £3 agreed amount to arrears of £1016
    Telephone/mobile/internet £135 Suggested reduction. Needs to be cut by half
    TV licence £13
    Repairs/maintenance £6
    Childcare £543
    Fines/CCJs/decrees £10
    Life insurance/pensions £7
    Hire purchase / logbook loan £117 £3 suggested amount to arrears of £93
    Spares/servicing £29
    Road tax £12
    Insurance £119
    Fuel/parking £174
    Food/toiletries/cleaning £260 Reduced from £450
    Medicine/prescriptions £9
    Dentist/opticians £3 Reduced from £11.
    Clothing/footwear £36
    Newspaper/magazines
    Sports/hobbies/entertainment £28 Reduced from £78.
    Children's pocket money
    Other (Overpayment) £30 ESA - £500 outstanding

I make that 1832.50.

You've got more to pay to your debts if you can reduce your spending - fuel and childcare seem really high, with none of your childcare costs coming back through tax credits.

May be best posting a full soa on the dfw board. There's a calculator here

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Louisedebt wrote: »
    My father has lived in a council property for 30 years and has just got back on his feet after a bout of bad luck and has been able to borrow money for a car which is worth over £1000 He is thinking about applying for a mortgage to buy the house he resides in and i don't want to be the one to destroy that for him. I assured him that i would make the payments no matter what which is why i am looking for a way around it legally.

This is why the advice on here is never to be a guarantor. You have done what the lender knew you would do, and default, which is why they needed a guarantor to step in for you.

You did explain to him what it meant I hope?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 9:26AM
    What immediately jumped out there for me was £135 for phone/mobile/internet! That is absurdly high: you should be able to get a basic line rental and broadband deal for £30, mobile SIM only deal for £5 to £10. Instant saving of nearly £1,200pa. If you have an expensive smartphone, sell it and get a basic one for about £60.
    With that level of spend, I'm guessing you have a very large Sky or VM package? You just can't afford this: Freeview, Freesat or Freesat from Sky will cost you nothing.
    This should enable you to rapidly clear your rent and utility arrears: these are priority debts. At £3 per month utilities arrears payback, it will take you 30 years to clear the debt.
    Are you getting the CT single person discount?
    Do you have a water meter?
    Insurance seems high: is this house and car, or just car?
    Are you on the cheapest gas and electricity tariffs offered by your current supplier? They will block a switch, given your level of debt.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    OK so you've got £1964 of income.

I don't think you've got £1914 of expenditure so I don't think this is a DRO. Potential problems in red

I make that 1832.50.

You've got more to pay to your debts if you can reduce your spending - fuel and childcare seem really high, with none of your childcare costs coming back through tax credits.

May be best posting a full soa on the dfw board. There's a calculator here

In regards to my fuel spend drive 200 miles a work so the spend cannot be reduced as there are no train stations near by to use public transport.

My childcare is the cheapest I can find as he attends 7.30am until 6pm so costs cannot be reduced here.

I do receive tax credits which my spend is accounted for. Total received per month is:

Child Tax Credit £434

John-K wrote: »
    This is why the advice on here is never to be a guarantor. You have done what the lender knew you would do, and default, which is why they needed a guarantor to step in for you.

You did explain to him what it meant I hope?

Yes of course and he fully understands and can afford to pay for it but I had hoped there was a way around it.
    macman wrote: »
    What immediately jumped out there for me was £135 for phone/mobile/internet! That is absurdly high: you should be able to get a basic line rental and broadband deal for £30, mobile SIM only deal for £5 to £10. Instant saving of nearly £1,200pa. If you have an expensive smartphone, sell it and get a basic one for about £60.
    With that level of spend, I'm guessing you have a very large Sky or VM package? You just can't afford this: Freeview, Freesat or Freesat from Sky will cost you nothing.
    This should enable you to rapidly clear your rent and utility arrears: these are priority debts. At £3 per month utilities arrears payback, it will take you 30 years to clear the debt.
    Are you getting the CT single person discount?
    Do you have a water meter?
    Insurance seems high: is this house and car, or just car?
    Are you on the cheapest gas and electricity tariffs offered by your current supplier? They will block a switch, given your level of debt.

My charges phone and internet and tv are £135. £100 for sky which I am contracted to and cannot change until the end of my 18 months. I have contacted them to try but they have said there is nothing they can do. My mobile phone is £35 per month and contracted until Dec 18 when I plan to move to sim only but until then I wont be able to.

I am not on a water meter as there are 2 of us in a 2 bed house so if I have understood the advice of MSE correctly its best for me not to have a water meter.

I am getting council tax discount. The actual cost should be £100 per month.

The insurance is just car insurance. I drive a 14 year old petrol Peugeot and this is the cheapest quote I could find without having to pay a large upfront cost to change.

In regards to utilities I was forced to go on to smart meters and the rate is what it is and the debt deducted is controlled by them.

I truly believe that I have reduced costs everywhere I can and have not inflated them. I am not living a life style where I have money left over. I have a CCJ, people knocking on my door from provident and brighthouse I need this to end and DRO seems the best option for me. I am on medication for anxiety and depression whilst being a single mother working full time and studying at college twice a week in the evenings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure