PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market?

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ognum wrote: »
    Seems to me you know little about housing in Cambridge.

Student at Cambridge University are almost wholly housed in College accommodation. That is what the college system at Cambridge’s University is for, accommodation and tutorial support.

Housing in Cambridge I see not expensive because of the University staff, they are for the most part on average wages. The issue in Cambridge dirt isn’t the amount of property owned by the University and the Colleges.

The high paid workers are almost all employed in High Tech, Drug development and industries base do on the Science Park or on the Addenbrookes Park.

Yep, and add the backdrop of a credit driven property bubble and these "super desirable" places to live and work shoot up in price, both Cambridge and Oxford markets could turn very quickly IMO.
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    You think rates are going to suddenly shoot up then do you? yes its a guess but its an educated guess based on economic predictions and the facts the government owes loads of money so is unlikely to want to see rates rise and we have brexit coming up, its unlikely the BoE will want to see a massive jump in interest rates.

Actually the media is talking about two rate rises this year, thats likely to be all of 0.5%, all the media reports are based on Carney's comments, however if you look back over the last few years Carney has been warning of the same thing however always finds an excuse not to raise rates.

How many landlords get cash in hand from a mate of a mate? Where are your stats, I just can't see this being true.. buying of BTL in company structure has rocketed, buying a property in a ltd company does not put you any more in the radar of HMRC, there are more opportunities as a 40% tax payer to be tax efficient. The PRS is changing, probably for the better, the amateurs are being driven out and the risky high LTV is not going to work any more. That does not mean it is dead, people who inherit property and more professional landlords are adapting.

That is not how global currency/bond markets work though is it, or no country would ever be in trouble with it`s debt or even suffer a downturn if they could just hold rates low forever? It`s obvious the BOE don`t WANT rates to spike up, neither do masses of over-indebted UK residents, but that doesn`t mean rates CAN`T jump up does it?
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Sorry to drag this up, but for those that get annoyed by Crashy, here is a prime example of him being wrong....

So basically Crashy was saying rates are about to rise now and sharply, this was based on reports that Carney was saying rates are about to rise and everyone saying it will happen in may....

My argument was Carney has been doing this for years, saying a rate rise is coming and then finding an excuse not to raise rates...

Guess what, that fab-belled rate rise that was a dead cert and had Crashy so excited.....

Carney: Brexit uncertainty could delay interest rate rise
  • Crashy_Time
    Sorry to drag this up, but for those that get annoyed by Crashy, here is a prime example of him being wrong....

So basically Crashy was saying rates are about to rise now and sharply, this was based on reports that Carney was saying rates are about to rise and everyone saying it will happen in may....

My argument was Carney has been doing this for years, saying a rate rise is coming and then finding an excuse not to raise rates...

Guess what, that fab-belled rate rise that was a dead cert and had Crashy so excited.....

Carney: Brexit uncertainty could delay interest rate rise

Well it is still April, and I said that the U.S want to "normalise" rates, not Carney, he will just follow at some point, and that transactions were down 20% without rate rises, and that if they can`t raise rates after all the emergency intervention by central banks we are in very bad shape economically :( A recession will kill house prices quicker than 0.25 base rate rises any day of the week ;)
  • MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seems to me you know little about housing in Cambridge.

Student at Cambridge University are almost wholly housed in College accommodation. That is what the college system at Cambridge’s University is for, accommodation and tutorial support.

Housing in Cambridge I see not expensive because of the University staff, they are for the most part on average wages. The issue in Cambridge dirt isn’t the amount of property owned by the University and the Colleges.

The high paid workers are almost all employed in High Tech, Drug development and industries base do on the Science Park or on the Addenbrookes Park.
    Simply not true. Until recently my wife was in the finance team for a group of estate agents and lettings companies.

The head of rentals was doing VERY well renting new build apartments in the city, off plan, to foreign students. They are paying upwards of £2000 a month and paying 12 month of rent at a time, in cash.

Also wealthy parents are buying houses in the city for their children to stay while they attend the university, foreign money coming into the city that is not subject to UK tax law.

This has had a rippling effect going out of the city putting the prices of everything up and I can't see it ending any time soon.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Well it is still April, and I said that the U.S want to "normalise" rates, not Carney, he will just follow at some point, and that transactions were down 20% without rate rises, and that if they can`t raise rates after all the emergency intervention by central banks we are in very bad shape economically :( A recession will kill house prices quicker than 0.25 base rate rises any day of the week ;)

Sorry have you moved the goal posts again, you kept saying and posted links about rates increasing... Now thats not looking likely what you meant was U.S rates. You are full of c**p.

So your totally amazing predicting is that rates will rise at some point, WOW, tell me what follows day?

Agh now its going to be the economy going south... Really...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-economy-to-grow-quicker-than-expected-in-2018-jpmorgan-asset-management-2018-4
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2018 at 4:45PM
    Crashy is just like a slippery eel and will never address your points and just move into the next cause of house price crash like his desperate chums at hpc. Let!!!8217;s list the predictions :

House prices will crash in [STRIKE]2004 - 2017[/STRIKE] now 2018
    [STRIKE]BOE Interest rates will rise inline with US Fed[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]DOW Jones drop in Feb 2018[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Massive BOE Interest rates rise[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Brexit[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Trump[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Corbyn as PM[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]House Sales and transactions crash[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]MMR [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Basel 3[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Section 24[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Wars[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Armageddon[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Meteor strike[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Sun imploding[/STRIKE]

While most of us recognise house prices will crash at some point or some of the above could occur we just get on with our lives and enjoy our homes. House prices may or may not happen within ones lifetime and even if it did impact may be minimal for most. Feel free to add to the list Crashy :rotfl:
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    MF2015 wrote: »
    Simply not true. Until recently my wife was in the finance team for a group of estate agents and lettings companies.

The head of rentals was doing VERY well renting new build apartments in the city, off plan, to foreign students. They are paying upwards of £2000 a month and paying 12 month of rent at a time, in cash.

Also wealthy parents are buying houses in the city for their children to stay while they attend the university, foreign money coming into the city that is not subject to UK tax law.

This has had a rippling effect going out of the city putting the prices of everything up and I can't see it ending any time soon.

How do you account for the number of reduced houses on the market , both new and used properties than.
  • MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    How do you account for the number of reduced houses on the market , both new and used properties than.
    I can’t account for any reduced prices, overpriced sellers trying the market occur all the time.

But I can disprove your previous post with regards to Cambridge students living in university accommodation. There’s a lot of very wealthy parents, the kind that dropping £500k on a terraced house for their little cherub and for a place for them to stay when they visit is small change.
  • Crashy_Time
    Sorry have you moved the goal posts again, you kept saying and posted links about rates increasing... Now thats not looking likely what you meant was U.S rates. You are full of c**p.

So your totally amazing predicting is that rates will rise at some point, WOW, tell me what follows day?

Agh now its going to be the economy going south... Really...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-economy-to-grow-quicker-than-expected-in-2018-jpmorgan-asset-management-2018-4

So U.S rates rising can just be discounted as people keep borrowing bubble money for houses :rotfl: Remind me to never take financial advice from you ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure