Help for internet in static caravan

13»

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 3:11PM
    Mister_G wrote: »
    You may still find that an external aerial mounted on the outside of the caravan would give more signal. Does your mobile show more bars outside?

I have never really noticed. I will make a point of looking next time we go!!

ETA: We have a car parking area (just for our vehicle) opposite the caravan, there is an access road between this and the 'van.. This will actually hold three cars and we have a storage unit on it for my husband's boat stuff. I know the signal is better here. Maybe we could install some sort of arial here? (Although it is still surrounded by trees).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it may help if I say that the caravan is sited in a forest under a large oak tree. and surrounded by other trees.

I found that trees really do kill a signal. It gets worse as soon as they get their leaves back on, and when it is raining. Luckily I have no aerial height restrictions. I am considering mounting the 4G receiver on an oak tree further up the hill and transmitting a Wi-fi signal down to the caravan.

Is it possible to raise the aerial only when you are in it?
  • I found that trees really do kill a signal. It gets worse as soon as they get their leaves back on, and when it is raining. Luckily I have no aerial height restrictions. I am considering mounting the 4G receiver on an oak tree further up the hill and transmitting a Wi-fi signal down to the caravan.

Is it possible to raise the aerial only when you are in it?

The site owners are quite strict because of being in the National Park, I don't think it would be allowed. We would not be able to get it above the trees anyway.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We are not allowed to have high aerials as we are in Snowdonia National Park

Have you spoken to Mr&MrsT in Barmouth?
    He is excellent at this sort of stuff.

:)
  • J_B wrote: »
    Have you spoken to Mr&MrsT in Barmouth?
    He is excellent at this sort of stuff.

who are they?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    who are they?
    google?

• J_B wrote: »
    google?

Thanks I have now googled. I thought you meant someone on the forum :o
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • asdv
    asdv Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2018 at 12:43PM
    Have you tried the 'OFCOM mobile signal checker' app to find which of the 4 main mobile networks is the best at your location?

That should narrow the field so you can find the best deal (use the piggybacking page https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking)
  • It says they are all OK .

I think we have decided to leave it and just use the free wi-fi in the onsite bar and restaurant and Costa in the town.

But thanks all for your helpful comments, they helped us to make our decision.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure