Help for internet in static caravan

Comments

• mags21
    mags21 Posts: 614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Best Buy Bear
    edited 11 February 2018 at 9:38AM
    Or is there anything else that might work but is not too costly?

Maybe this, depends on the definition of too costly, bearing in mind no phone line required.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42995210
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    We regularly stay in a caravan in a remote area and for many years have used mobile broadband. We used to use 3 and when I needed new equipment looked around and found Vodafone had a much stronger signal in that location, so swapped and it has been much better.

These networks have coverage maps on their web sites, so put your location in and see what coverage looks like with each of them. In all cases, we found that there was signal showing at one end of the caravan, but not the other - it is that detailed. We've found this to be very accurate.

I got one of the powered wifi hubs rather than a dongle (they vary in how many devices they can support), as this seems to pick up signal better and you can then use several devices at one time - phone for data, tablets, laptop etc. This also allows you, as others have said, to find the best spot to receive and then leave it plugged in and working - then you can pick up signal wherever you are in the van. It costs me £22.50 per month for 30Gb of data and that is enough to watch the occasional item on iplayer etc.

In the early days of mobile broadband when signal was less reliable, we found that once the item was plugged in and had found signal, we left it there and running, as powering down it wouldn't necessarily log onto a signal next time - making a hub much better than a single dongle.

We've found one corner of the van where signal is best and luckily next to a socket, so I actually have my pebble stuck on the glass with blutak and once it has optimal signal, it works reliably with several devices simultaneously and has never dropped signal.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Just thought of a couple more ideas - there are web sites that show where the various network masts are located, so search for your location and see what looks to have best coverage - used in conjunction with the coverage maps for the phone companies. You'll be able to see if you have line of sight to masts etc. if you know the topography of the area.

Ask what network locals use for mobile coverage - that was how I happened upon Vodafone, as it was the only signal in the area for phones and for years we'd used a PAYG to forward our O2 calls to (not now needed as there's a brand new mast just gone up nearby). 3 was initially the only one with any mobile broadband - but that never improved signal strength.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mags21 wrote: »
    Or is there anything else that might work but is not too costly?

Maybe this, depends on the definition of too costly, bearing in mind no phone line required.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42995210

It's an interesting solution but the OP has already stated that his EE coverage is poor. However, the external antenna may improve that sufficiently.
  • Especially if the static caravan is metal, an external antenna on a ~ 1 metre pole above any metalwork may make a huge difference.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have a similar problem. A neighbour offered to let us use their Wi-fi signal but then changed their mind after I installed the hardware to enable it. No mean feat considering there is no direct line of sight between the caravan and their house and the signal had to be bent around a copse.

I am now looking at a possible 4G solutions. I must admit I like a challenge.
  • Mister_G wrote: »
    It's an interesting solution but the OP has already stated that his EE coverage is poor. However, the external antenna may improve that sufficiently.
    her.........:rotfl:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 2:27PM
    Especially if the static caravan is metal, an external antenna on a ~ 1 metre pole above any metalwork may make a huge difference.

We are not allowed to have high aerials as we are in Snowdonia National Park - our TV works on Freesat. The satellite is only one meter above the ground.

I think it may help if I say that the caravan is sited in a forest under a large oak tree. and surrounded by other trees.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We are not allowed to have high aerials as we are in Snowdonia National Park - our TV works on Freesat. The satellite is only one meter above the ground.

I think it may help if I say that the caravan is sited in a forest under a large oak tree. and surrounded by other trees.

You may still find that an external aerial mounted on the outside of the caravan would give more signal. Does your mobile show more bars outside?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure