Single Occupant discount not applied.

Hi all,

I recently moved into a flat after university and have been happily paying the water bill. It was only more recently that I noticed that I should have been receiving a single-occupancy discount (I should have seen the notice on the front of the bill telling me that I may be entitled to one!). I rang South Eastern Water and they gave me money back for the last 23 days but does anyone know if there are any grounds for the money to be reimbursed from the beginning of my contract?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,436
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2019 at 7:49PM
    Oddbodd95 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently moved into a flat after university and have been happily paying the water bill. It was only more recently that I noticed that I should have been receiving a single-occupancy discount (I should have seen the notice on the front of the bill telling me that I may be entitled to one!). I rang South Eastern Water and they gave me money back for the last 23 days but does anyone know if there are any grounds for the money to be reimbursed from the beginning of my contract?

Thanks in advance!

Have you applied for a water meter? * (gateway for an assessed charge including single occupier)

They may backdate until start of current charging year with proof of being a single occupier

* if not practical to fit one
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The single person discount is only applied to 'assessed charges'.

An account holder can be offered an assessed charge when an application for a water meter was submitted and it is impossible to fit a meter - this is often the case with older flats.

The rates for assessed charges are shown on the company's website. For instance with Severn Trent the assessed charge(water and sewerage) for a semi is £329 and a single occupant's assessed charge is £165.

When you moved into the property the water company have no idea if you are a single occupant, or have the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards sharing the property. Therefore any backdating of the assessed charge will be as a 'goodwill' measure.
  • Just wanted to say, I am a customer with Severn Trent. I am on standard water rates and my landlord refused permission for a water meter to be put in (or to even be attempted). I spoke to Severn Trent and asked if there was anything they could do for me, as I’m a single occupancy and I don’t have a washing machine. They said because the landlord refused permission for a water meter, I had to get the LL ( or the letting agents on the LL behalf) to write a letter or email confirming the above and ensure it stated my Name and address as the tenant. As of February 2019, they have moved my account onto single occupancy tariff.
    Would like to thank Martin And Money saving expert - I had no idea about this until I saw your show about how to save on your water bill. :D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Just wanted to say, I am a customer with Severn Trent. I am on standard water rates and my landlord refused permission for a water meter to be put in (or to even be attempted). I spoke to Severn Trent and asked if there was anything they could do for me, as I’m a single occupancy and I don’t have a washing machine. They said because the landlord refused permission for a water meter, I had to get the LL ( or the letting agents on the LL behalf) to write a letter or email confirming the above and ensure it stated my Name and address as the tenant. As of February 2019, they have moved my account onto single occupancy tariff.
    Would like to thank Martin And Money saving expert - I had no idea about this until I saw your show about how to save on your water bill. :D

Welcome to the forum

I find that surprising because you don't need the landlord's permission to apply for a water meter if your tenancy is 6 months or longer.

As said above a single person's tariff(on an assessed charge) is given when it is not possible to fit a water meter. With Severn Trent to get an assessed tariff you must first apply for a water meter.

I suspect that Severn Trent were aware a meter could not be fitted to your property(is it a flat?) and so placed you on an assessed tariff without the formality of having to apply for a meter.
  • Paul_Kara
    Paul_Kara Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum

I find that surprising because you don't need the landlord's permission to apply for a water meter if your tenancy is 6 months or longer.

As said above a single person's tariff(on an assessed charge) is given when it is not possible to fit a water meter. With Severn Trent to get an assessed tariff you must first apply for a water meter.

I suspect that Severn Trent were aware a meter could not be fitted to your property(is it a flat?) and so placed you on an assessed tariff without the formality of having to apply for a meter.
    As above, when I had my water meter fitted the engineer installing it said its down to the person who pays the bill not the owner or landlord who decides whether to have a meter or not :)
  • falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Paul_Kara wrote: »
    As above, when I had my water meter fitted the engineer installing it said its down to the person who pays the bill not the owner or landlord who decides whether to have a meter or not :)

Good to know. I wonder if this applies to Smart metres too?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It applies to any sort of utility meter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport