Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 2nd Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 647Posts
    • 1,754Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    2019 Wedding
    • 2nd Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    2019 Wedding 2nd Mar 18 at 10:40 PM
    I was looking for a post for any 2019 weddings but couldn't find one!

We've been together since May 2009 and engaged since January 2010. H2B got a nice bonus at Christmas so now is able to pay for his divorce and have a nice amount to go towards the wedding. I'm saving my half.

I think we are aiming for a budget of 3000 but going to save around 4000. We're hoping to have all the money saved by December.

We've been looking at venue's and other things we're being realistic and not booking anything until the divorce comes through, but hoping we'll know exactly what we want so that we can get on and book things when it does.

Hoping to catch up with any other 2019 brides/grooms

April
    6th - KDC

May
    24th - kdalwayskint
    25th - elleJay42

June
    29th - SavingAFuture

July
    13th - MrsAW2019

August
    31st - Beverly Bill

September
    7th - IvysMom
    21st - apricity

October
    5th - Devonbiker
    18th - Cookieie
    19th - Roo89
    26th - FloProActiv

November
    2be - Charlie792
    7th - BeckyAP
    30th - pinkflump

December
    8th - Leighlovescake
    30th - FanDango
    Last edited by kdalwayskint; 28-07-2019 at 3:24 PM. Reason: Added dates :)
    Saving for Christmas 2019 ~ 247.31/365
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    LBM 25/2/09 Debt at highest 8,037.35 now 0
    Credit Card 878/2500
Page 11
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 26th Oct 18, 9:56 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Congratulations IvysMom, I've added you to the first post. We have a budget of 3000.

We had our notice appointment today while there we were shown the ceremony room and can have up to 60 guests. It's a pleasant enough room and they open a different entrance for the weddings, we had to walk almost around the entire building today!

This weekend we need to put the finishing touches to the information sheet so that our invitations can be sent this coming week.

I thought we'd agreed to just family to the ceremony but H2B wants a few friends to go, my side does out number him a bit after being in the ceremony room today I think we will go up from 40, and the hog roast we are thinking of has minimum number of 60.

How's everyone getting on?
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • apricity
    • By apricity 27th Oct 18, 1:12 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    congrats ivysmom!

and i bet that was lovely to see the place, KD!
    What dod you think of it after seeing it?
    I guess that is fair, KD!

My progress
    * about to bookk the DJ who can provide the photobooth
    * M.I.L sent my hubby 500
    * i've just filled out our save the date cards & decorated them, attached magnet strip to them
    * wrote a guest list for the ceremony but need hubs to look at add/cross anyone off before i can send save the dates out
    * need to contact another caterer again, as no response in last 4 weeks!
    Getting married 21.09.19
    Emergency Savings - 15.55 / 1,000 XMAS '19 Savings - 0.00 / 365 Holiday savings - 6.00(SA) 00 (PB)
    • Devonbiker
    • By Devonbiker 4th Nov 18, 8:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Devonbiker
    Hi all,
    Hope all is going well for everyone!
    Just a bit of a progress report ......
    Had engagement party, sister turned up after all! �� was a fab party though, everyone had a great time.
    Venue is booked, photographer is booked, stared legal stuff with registrar and found my dress at the weekend!
    I absolutely adore it! Its a Catherine Parry dress called Daniela and I literally cannot wait to wear it!
    On the downside, bloody house builder has delayed our house for 4 MONTHS!!! not happy at all!

At least wedding is on track so far ��
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 5th Nov 18, 9:11 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Roo89
    Small progress made, we've booked the cake, my hair and makeup is booked too, managed to get them for half the price by going with companies local to the venue, so no extra cost just because it's London. The quotes we were getting from people local to us were ridiculous, in comparison, to what we're actually paying.

Paying the deposit for the DJ today, and booking a selfiegram with them too. Guests can upload photo's from the wedding to an app and then their photos get displayed on screens around the venue, it's monitored so no dodgy photos will get through and we get a usb at the end of the night with all the pictures on.

I just thought it sounded like a great way to get extra photos and hopefully people will be more relaxed because it's not a formal photo which can make some people tense.

Booked our appointment to give notice, it's not until March though as that was the first available saturday and H2B can't get time off work easily during the week.

Been brainstorming honeymoon destinations and failing to pick somewhere, it's finding the balance between what we want and what we can afford

I'm a nervous flyer too so we need to think about how long we'll be on the plane and if it's a direct flight or not.

I'm battling with one of my bridesmaids over flowers too, I'm not that bothered about flowers, but I do want a bouquet, and it's a late ceremony so I thought I could just get some ribbon and then get some daisies from Tesco or something, but my bridesmaid says I can't do that, and I have to go to a proper florist. I just think it's a waste of money, if I can get a bunch of daisies for say 10, why would I pay a florist 75-100 for a bunch of daisies instead? They're still just daisies
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 5th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Hi everyone.

We haven't done a great deal lately.

I've posted my share of the invites and got replies from a couple already H2B still needs to do his.

H2B had a chat with his daughters this weekend and it went very well, we'll see how they feel after thinking about it though. The younger one is definitely up for being a bridesmaid and wearing a dress, the older one as expected has said she's not wearing a dress and will wear a suit!

Dress and suit hunt now on!

Roo89 - it's up to you how you want to spend your budget. I made a bouquet for my sister when she got married a few years ago, used supermarket finest roses, she was really pleased. If it was just up to me, I would go and buy loads of supermarket flowers the day before and make my own table arrangements, button holes and bouquets but H2B has insisted on artificial and some shop bought arrangements, I guess we can get on and sort them out well in advance!

Hope you are all getting on ok x
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • IvysMom
    • By IvysMom 6th Nov 18, 12:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    IvysMom
    Hi all

Update for me. Registry office booked and reservation fee paid. Photographer booked, family friend so getting mates rates . Hair booked, another friend who is already my hairdresser, so we are going to do "trials" for my updo at every highlight appointment between now and the wedding. Make up booked for day and trial. Yet another friend is making my brooch bouquet. I am a very lucky girl. For the save the dates I set up a facebook event.

There are lots of things we aren't doing in order to save money and stress on the day, otherwise I would turn into bridezilla on the run up, so the less I can stress about the happier everyone else will be. So we aren't doing:

Paper invites - setting up free wedding website and will put all of the info on there instead.
    Flowers
    Speeches
    Cake
    First dance
    Cars - there are always lots of lovely wedding cars outside the venue so planning on bunging the driver 20 and taking some photos next to one

The one thing I am unsure of is whether to get a caterer or do the food myself. We only want picnic food as the reception is in the park and getting quotes of nearly 500 for some sandwiches and sausage rolls seems high. So considering doing the majority of food myself the day before and using a local sandwich shop to do the sandwiches on the day, they will deliver to the house and I can get my Mom to take them to the venue in her car. Parents are doing a booze run next year for the drinks
    Roo89 - I think my response to the bridesmaid would be "oh its so nice of you to pay for the flowers, we could never have afforded them from a florist" watch her quickly back track or even better actually pay for them . Your money, your wedding, do what you want to do.
    • Devonbiker
    • By Devonbiker 9th Nov 18, 2:39 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Devonbiker
    Roo, we recently had our engagement party, it wasn't local to me, so was a pain to do the catering myself.
    I found that Morrisons do food to order and it wasn't overly expensive.
    I ordered loads of sandwiches and the party guests raved about them. You order in advance and can go and collect them on the morning. I also found a voucher code that knocked 12 off!
    Really saved me time and stress on the morning of the party

Just a suggestion
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 11th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    H2B has now sent his invites out

We've discussed sweetie tables today, any of you thought about a sweet cart/table?

Where are you getting your supplies from and have you found a cart or are you just going to have a table with jars etc on?

What's everyone else doing at the moment?
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • Roo89
    • By Roo89 15th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Roo89
    Flowers are sorted finally!

I'm having a dried flower bouquet it's 30 but we're making the bridesmaid's flowers and buttonholes ourselves so I can handle 30 on dried flowers, they're gorgeous colours and at least I'm not spending money on something that will die the next day.

We've selected bridesmaid dresses, but waiting to buy them as it's a year away I'm concerned about size fluctuation. Two of my bridesmaids are actively trying to lose weight (not for the wedding but one for health and one baby weight) so they could drop a size or two, and my cousin is 13 - will be 14 at the wedding and I'm sure she'll have a growth spurt.

It was a bit of a nightmare finding a dress that came in sizes 12 - 24 (in case no one changes size) but we've found a lovely dress by MAYA that Next sell, it's a pale dusty pink with a sequin top and short sleeves. I'm not too worried on colour to be honest as long as I can get the dress in the right sizes and it's not white or black I'm happy. I don't want to spend a fortune as we're already projected to go over budget! It all adds up so quickly

Started making the aisle decorations too, and H2B is a graphic designer so he's sorting out our save the dates, I've finished our wedding website and app (all free via withjoy.com)

Think I'm ahead enough that I can completely relax over christmas and then start wedding planning again in the new year
    • apricity
    • By apricity 17th Nov 18, 1:39 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    hello everyone.

Save the dates for his side mostly sent out.
    I need to grab addresses for my family off of my mum tomorrow when we visit them for sunday lunch.

We've booked our marriage notice for Tuesdya at 2pm... it's feeling so real now.

I had to use 100 from wedding savings but it's okay as i only need to save 75 each month anyway so i have a long time to get money up together. I'm not going to worry so much about wedding savings until christmas is over & i get myself in a better place financially.
    This month has been AWFUL!

kdalwayskint - We're doing a sweet cart but we're just using a table & bowls to fill. I got my bowls from the poundshop when they were in the closing down sale.

I need to go through 2 different mobile bar options with the mr. but he doesn't want to do it yet . So fustrating , it's been 4 weeks since i've contacted the mobile bars & so obviously they are waiting for an answer.

I've not done any wedding stuff for the past 3 weeks. I don't know what else to plan.
    Getting married 21.09.19
    Emergency Savings - 15.55 / 1,000 XMAS '19 Savings - 0.00 / 365 Holiday savings - 6.00(SA) 00 (PB)
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 19th Nov 18, 12:41 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    Gah, I'm so bad and keeping up to date!!

Not helped by the fact that the OH still hasn't done his guest list so we can't really move forward on things like save the dates.

Have got a menu tasting booked this sunday back at our venue - because we're not having a sit down meal thing they've asked for suggestions of what canapes/buffet stuff would we like and I think they're doing a selection of those for us to try.

I think come the new year we'll meet with the baker for the cake and the decorators of the venue - start firming out more ideas. The OH wants an enchanted forest feel to the venue so I think it will be lots of twinkley lights and foliage from the ceiling (if it's affordable!)
    • apricity
    • By apricity 20th Nov 18, 7:36 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    i am too!

Today we gave our notice to the local council office... I was so nervous!

But we're all set now, we need to meet with the people at the actual registry office to get details of timings.

My M.I.L just brought this for us,

10, metal off of her friend for wedding cards.
    After the wedding i'll be keeping it and wanting to do the hand prints like in the movie "UP"

I have the addresses written now,
    My sister gave me a plain white scrapbook to use for a guestbook
    and brought me 3 led rabbits for the Alice In Wonderland table decor
    will pick up more as and when funds are avalible.

We went for a nice little meal & drink tonight to celebrate.
    It's starting to feel super real.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 2 copies of alice in wonderland
    1 copy to make table confetti with 2. for an alternative idea as a guestbook ?
    SO MANY CHOICES!
    Getting married 21.09.19
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 21st Nov 18, 7:03 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    Awww apricity, congratulations on giving notice (and too everyone else I missed!!)
    That post box is gorgeous too and what a bargain! Are you going to keep it that colour or spray it??

Also - thoughts on a videographer?
    I did like the idea of one and found one that was pretty cheap and looked good. Then my OH was like, nope don't want one so I left it alone. Then on facebook I saw someone's wedding video and it looked so good! I know people who have had videos done and have said they've never really looked at it again....what to do!
    • apricity
    • By apricity 21st Nov 18, 11:48 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    We aren't having a videographer but only because we are both camera shy and i hate my voice.
    I think you should go for it as it's hopefully a time in your life where you get married once, and its a lovely little keep sake. We went over my aunties last year for their wedding anniversary and they played their wedding video from 20 years ago and it was so lovely. Maybe talk with your O.H and say you may regret it if you don't. I'm sure he'll come around!

Thank you, I will probablly keep it the same colour...
    Especially if i'm keeping it after. I'm quite alternative so i think it'll fit with us perfectly exactly how it is.

We got our wedding pack today from the registry office where we have to decide our vows & words for the ring exchanges ... exciting stuff... it's starting to feel super real now. I'm a little...not stressy as such but there is so much we've/i've not thought about.
    Getting married 21.09.19
    • Iva_Neva
    • By Iva_Neva 21st Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Iva_Neva
    Video and decorations are something that you can save a lot of money. Decorate as much as you can by yourself because people notice it at least. For video it's important that is captured everything but don't pay professional video processing.
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 21st Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    We aren't having a videographer but only because we are both camera shy and i hate my voice.
    I think you should go for it as it's hopefully a time in your life where you get married once, and its a lovely little keep sake. We went over my aunties last year for their wedding anniversary and they played their wedding video from 20 years ago and it was so lovely. Maybe talk with your O.H and say you may regret it if you don't. I'm sure he'll come around!

Thank you, I will probablly keep it the same colour...
    Especially if i'm keeping it after. I'm quite alternative so i think it'll fit with us perfectly exactly how it is.

We got our wedding pack today from the registry office where we have to decide our vows & words for the ring exchanges ... exciting stuff... it's starting to feel super real now. I'm a little...not stressy as such but there is so much we've/i've not thought about.
    Originally posted by apricity
    That's so exiting about the vows and bits!
    Like I want it to hurry up because I want to be marrying him, like now! but at the same time we've got so much to do it can take all the time in the world!

I don't know if I said, but I've booked the make up for my mum and I. I'm not into wearing much make up so wont be having lots done but it'll be nice to look good you know. Not having hair done as I'm keeping my hair in a bob - just got a viel and tiara thing to fit in and be doused in hairspray.
    I need to find someone to alter the dress - might start looking into that in the New Year. I'm having a lot done to it in terms of shortening the train, pulling up the sleves slightly and then having the bodice bit (?) pulled it. Beacuse I have a bigger bum and small waist, stuff usually fits fine on the bottom half but is then too big on the top! :/
    Hopefully as we're doing wedding stuff this sunday, we can do the OH's guest list and get that sorted - even if it kills me!
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 21st Nov 18, 6:37 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Hi everyone

Sweet table - we've decided on a table with jars and bowls, love the idea and look of a cart but it's so expensive!

Where are people buying the sweets from?

H2B has now booked our disco, we're also having karaoke and a bubble machine, 275. If we just wanted the disco it would be 200 which is a great price.

We're probably just doing a FB event for our evening invites, which I've set up, we just need to sort out firm timings and add the guests to it!

Not much else going on here except looking for outfits for the girls.

Hope everyone is doing well x
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • apricity
    • By apricity 22nd Nov 18, 7:56 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    apricity
    Hey yeah, i want to marry right now & my oh says he can't wait either but theres simply too much for us to do before we can.

I totally get that. I'm looking at trying to see if my sister's friend can do my hair and make-up.
    if not, i'll hire someone for make up but see if my mum can straighten my hair for me... i'd love my OH to do it because he's so good doing my hair but obviously, he can't.

I was going to get my white wedding dress altered but decided that the wedding dress isn't for me.
    In my family its traditional to NOT be traditional (My mum got married in burgundy & my auntie got married in black) so I'll be sticking to my blue dress - me & my sister agreed that it would suit me better as I'm not traditional in anyway & the white dress makes my skin look washed out.

I'm buying after valentine sales from local stores. Haven't decided how many i need ... ?

We have so much to do , still. Feels like we cross of 3 things off our list but another 5 get added!!

I really really want the mobile bar to be booked soon! Then it's just catering which is the next big thing to do.
    Getting married 21.09.19
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 5th Dec 18, 9:05 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Hey!

Not much going on here at the moment.

We've been punching hearts out of printed card for table confetti, looking for outfits for the girls and checking prices of sweets. Oh and I've put a few of the blue flowers into the little bouquets that I got from the charity shop, and I've bought a couple more from eB@y when they arrive I'll add the blue flowers to them as well.

We realised that we made a bit of a mistake, original plans were for 40 day guests and so bought table decorations for 5 tables, then decided we'd have 60 guests for the day as they will fit into the ceremony room and hog roast minimum number is 60 suddenly realised we now need to get more table decorations!

H2B has talked me into having a magician for an hour or two and I've talked him into having an evening buffet, obviously blowing our budget well and truly out of the water!

We're sorting out Christmas at the moment too, nearly there with that though, thank goodness

Hope everyone is keeping well x
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • FloProActiv
    • By FloProActiv 17th Dec 18, 5:03 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    FloProActiv
    Hi all

Another 2019 bride here - 26th October. Got engaged on the 24th October this year (our 9th anniversary, so we're getting married on the closest Saturday to our 10th anniversary).

So far have booked the venue and registrar, plus booked a date to give notice in February (booked when we already have a day off for something else).

Venue includes catering, and we've got a tasting and meeting in January.

My boyfriend's friend does wedding catering with his wife, so they're doing our cake, and have told BF that I'm leaving the cake up to him (he has much more of a sweet tooth).

Also got my dress - ordered online from JJ's House, and it's really good quality for the price. Will need to have it altered as I was between sizes so ordered the larger one but will sort that closer to the time. BF had had his eye on a burgundy suit for about a year, so is delighted to have an excuse to buy it

Our budget is 10k (not including honeymoon), and I'm hoping we'll be able to stick to that... Trying to balance between not spending too much and not ending up having too much to do - we both work full time and commute, plus we've just bought a house and are in the middle of doing it up.

Planning to do certain bits ourselves - we've made our Save the Dates and will make invitations, planning to do all the flowers (using artificial flowers), table centerpieces, etc .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,345Posts Today

7,426Users online

Martin's Twitter