How Much Time Do You Spend on Comping?

Options
Hi Everyone!

I am somewhat a comping novice and although I have been on this forum for 3 years I have only been actively comping for a total of a month or two (spread out over those 2 years). Recently I have been much more into it and aim to spend around an hour or two a day comping...

I notice on here that there are quite a few successful compers, through reading the 'what did you win each month' threads and so on. I understand that all comping is a matter of luck and there are never any guarantees, but I just wondered what kind of hours people actually usually put into this in order to see any kind of return?

Genuinely interested to know :-) I make the effort to only enter things I genuinely want to win, so far all I have won is a packet of gel pens hahaha...

Comments

• xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    I really dread to think lol! I will time myself tomorrow and let you know, i'm pretty sure its far too much but I enjoy it... I don't win a lot these days though.
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I probably spend around 3 hours a day, depending on what real life is like. About half an hour in the morning with a cup of coffee, then around half of my lunch break at work, then a couple of hours in the evening whilst watching TV. I tend to win one or two prizes a month ranging from 10p on Topcashback to some worth hundreds of pounds.

If I were to put those extra hours into a second job, I would earn far more than I win, but it is a hobby I enjoy and due to disability, a lot of hobbies involving exercise are not possible for me.
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some days I just enter a couple of competitions that pop up on my social media, so it could take 2-10 minutes a day.

Other times I can spend around 3 hours entering competitions - especially if I can't sleep.

I used to win around 2-12 prizes a month, but now I'm only winning around 2-3 a month, but I'm not comping as hard and I'm happy because I enjoy it.
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 May 2019 at 10:33AM
    Options
    I'm caught up on the main board so I check in the morning what's been posted since I last checked and do all the new ones I'm interested in, maybe check back at about 5 or 6, and that's me done for the day. So I'm probably about an hour or two a day. If I don't have much work on at the time I'll check back a few times a day (more out of boredom than anything else).

I don't bother with dailies or Mags ... I just do the main comps on the main board so once you're caught up it doesn't take a lot of time to bang through the new ones a couple of times a day.

To get started though you should spend a weekend or something just doing them all. Just go to the last page and blast through all 160-odd pages, red-X any you're not interested in, then once you've blasted through them it's fairly easy to keep up on a day-to-day basis leaving you more time to actually do the dailies if you choose to.

I just checked the first 10 pages on the main board, I have 7 Green Ticks ... that's how few I enter, so I am pretty selective ... it'll maybe take others longer than it'll would take me just because I enter so few.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    A few hours a day - but I spend more time ignoring/rejecting competitions! I don't actually enter a lot even though I spend a lot of time looking. Unfortunately I have a small flat with little space, no garden, no kids, and a partner 4000 miles away so no-one I can take for spontaneous activities, holidays or meals! So currently I mostly enter cash, food or technology competitions. Roughly 100 a week but I know some people enter that in a day. I had a win in March, a win in April, and nothing so far in May.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • TattyOwl
    TattyOwl Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies :-) I was genuinely interested xx

I am yet to get lucky but I know that's all part of it and I'm not doing anything wrong! There are never any guarantees afterall :-) xxx
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to spend a couple of hours a day when I worked part time, but now I am full time - I do a few regular ones at the weekend but now I don't have time in the week anymore.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Iggy1313
    Iggy1313 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do around 4-5 hours a day and then a good 7-8 hours twice a week, I win about 3 prizes a month, sometimes worth a fiver, sometimes a hundred wuid
    back to comping after a 2 year break!! Mission… to win a gift for all my family for Christmas!
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Options
    anything from zero to 8 hours a day, depending on my health and what else I can do
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584 Forumite
    Options
    My computer is on from 11am to 4am most days :eek:

I don't comp all that time :rotfl:
    I am back and forth all day working through the boards and I still never get to page one, I am very easily distracted and quite regularly lose 3 to 4 hours of my life flickering about on You Tube or other forums/games ect

I can enter anything from a dozen comps a day to 100s :D

I enter for anything I can use on C2Ws and Twitter but I am much more selective elsewhere

I have had 15 wins so far this year all of which I think are decent prizes ;)
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income