MSE News: Ryanair hikes baggage charges and plans toilet fee

Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 7 April 2010 at 12:46PM in Flights, currency & car hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"These latest hikes for passengers come on top of the array of charges levied in addition to the advertised fare ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• With Ryanair nothing surprises me! After initially charging a flat fee for using the toilet, Mr O'Leary will probably carry this idea further:

Having a pee: £1
    Having a poo: £2.
    Having sex: £10 (slightly larger cubicle will be provided for this option).

These are walk-in prices.; people pre-booking online will get a 50% discount.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Daniel Lawrence, MoneySavingExpert consumer products analyst, says: "The extra baggage charge and possible toilet fees are the latest in a long line of Ryanair costs which are not immediately obvious at the booking stage.

Come on then Dan? Which fees aren't obvious before somebody punches their card number into their PC?

It costs to use the toilet at rail stations across the country - where is the critical blog post about Network Rail?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It costs to use the toilet at rail stations across the country - where is the critical blog post about Network Rail?

Not everywhere it doesn't and where they do charge there's often an alternative.

Are these extra fees a way for Ryan Air to make more profit or will they mean lower fares?
  • westv, sadly I suspect the latter.

Not in all railway stations, but then again some train station loos are so hideous you'd have to pay me to use them...

And besides the most I've ever seen charged for the loo at a train station is 30p (Euston/Charing Cross). What gives Michael O'Leary the right to charge three times as much?
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What gives Michael O'Leary the right to charge three times as much?

That fact that it is his plane?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • forumfan_2
    forumfan_2 Posts: 719 Forumite
    I think some people have a very short memory. I can remember the days before the likes of Ryanair where many of us simply couldn't afford to fly to places as close as Ireland because it was so expensive.

They are entitled to charge whatever they want just as you are entitled to travel with whoever you want but in my experience they still tend to be cheaper even with the add ons
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What? Ryanair offer in-flight toilets? Talk about indulging the punters. In any case, their seats are so cramped that it would not be at all easy to get to the toilet. And guess what: both before and after the short flight, you are in an airport where these facilities are freely available.
  • richardw
    both before and after the short flight, you are in an airport where these facilities are freely available.

Until the airport stops them being free to passengers or increases its charges to ryanair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure