Advice please - Virgin mobile overbilling

Hi there, can anyone help please

I'm getting nowhere with Virgin. I spoke to them in August 17 having discovered they were billing me for a SIM I don't have and have never used. We only discovered this after trawling through bank statements (which clearly we should do more often, oops) I don't receive statements for this and it seems to be on a different account from our 4 other SIMs/phones which is strange.

Apparently the request was made by me back in May 2014 and we have been billed since then to the tune of £812. They were supposed to sort this in August 17 and get in contact with me. They didn't and I still do not have a resolution. Despite saying they would cancel the contract they didn't and they have continued to bill me. They are saying that the best they can do is offer me a 12 mth refund which amounts to only £240 of the £812 I have been billed. As far as I can make out from them, the SIM has never been used. My experiences on the phone with them have been shocking - not called back, cut off, on hold for ages then cut off, bounced around between depts and each time almost starting from scratch. Our contracts are up soon so we will be moving but I'm desperate to get this sorted.

I accept I should have noticed earlier, but a 12mth refund feels like an inadequate response from Virgin. I'm not sure where I stand legally on this.
Any ideas or advice would be welcome
many thanks

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If you've not opened a formal complaint then do it now. Make sure you get a complaint number. If you've already had a complaint open for more than 56 days, then escalate it to CISAS
  • Thank you. Will contact CICAS or the ombudsman as appropriate.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    You need to establish whether they are saying it was a separate contract which you took out all those years ago. If it was and you didn't cancel after it's minimum term you're unlikely to get very far. If for some reason it wasn't and they were charging for something you did NOT agree with they should pay you everything back, plus interest. I suspect it's the former though.

You can't do to the Ombudsman unless you've either passed 8 weeks since a cformal complaint to the network OR they have sent you a deadlock letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure