£15,000 to 0

Comments

• Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 6:08PM
    Thanks EH and enthusiasticsaver.

Realistically I know it's something I needn't be worried about, but the fact that it's there annoys me. The fact that if I'd gone to uni a couple of decades earlier, or been fortunate enough to live in Scotland, I wouldn't have it at all...that makes me go :mad:

Anyway, a quick life update.

I have moved to London (sorry EH - bl00dy incomers!) and am greatly enjoying the increased social life, and shorter commute.

Only thing is my expenses have accordingly increased massively...rent...food...and I'm still earning the same meagre wage.

Trying hard to keep food on budget but have come across another problem - my sister! She is very good at eating food but I seem to do all the cooking and grocery shopping...bit of a disparity there seeing as she takes home more than 3x what I do in a month, whinge whinge whinge moan moan moan ;) Going to have to put my foot down there I think.

I did as planned and bought a 1 year travel card. Financially more sensible in the long run, but in the short term it's put me in the bottom of my overdraft. I also borrowed a further £500 from my parents short-term (paid back next month) for the overdraft.

Parental loan is looking a bit funny at the moment. I had given my sister £750 when she was buying her house, and my parents had said that I could "credit" it as paying back the loan from them, as they would just get the money directly from my sister. Well my mum has now helpfully decided she doesn't want to do that, so it now stands as follows:

Debts
    Parental Loan 1: £12,500
    Parental Loan 2: £500
    Overdraft: more or less £1,700

Owed to me
    Sister: £750 (repayment to be discussed)
    OH: £850 (repayment in £150 chunks starting January 2018)

Sadly I have now cleared out both my Nationwide and Help to Buy ISAs to pay for the move, furniture, travelcard and other associated expenses, so those accounts are £0.

My sister is annoyed at the stamp duty change in today's Budget and has decided that I'm to buy a house. Not sure how to break it to her that I couldn't afford a shoelace, let alone a shoebox, let alone a house :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • I'm not sure why I keep coming back here in the middle of the month when there is absolutely nothing happening, but here we are.

All Xmas gifts purchased, had a panic because we thought we'd forgotten OH's little brother but turns out we had actually bought his gift back in August and forgotten about it :cool:

Funds looking a tad dire as always. My OH owes me £940 and my sis owes me £800.

Technically for now I'm OK financially but to be honest I'd rather have that money back in my pocket, or rather back in my overdraft. Trouble is they're both just about floating by this month so I don't feel that I can ask for it back or even a part payment of it yet especially since I don't technically *need* it to pay my overdraft until June. Will have to revisit come February.

I'm going to Portugal in Jan for a week but I think we will be fine with £100 spending money each. We still have 50 euro left over from Vienna.

Amex has been overpaid by £6 due to refund.

Overdraft is sitting at a miserable -£1,886.

Help to buy is at £235ish (yay annual interest!)

Nationwide has £250 in it.

I'm doing veganuary in January. Looking forward to it - hopefully the lack of meat will mean a cheaper grocery shop. I'm trying to challenge myself to use up all my stores before buying more - I'm a dreadful hoarder.
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Well, thanks to a catastrophic failure in budgeting and a not-so-unexpected interest charge on my overdraft, I now have £956 which needs to last me until the end of January and includes my rent and loan repayment.

This is because I got charged interest on part of my overdraft and went :eek: and immediately paid off £1,000 of it again, and tomorrow I will call them to reduce it to its interest-free amount only again.

This means I have £306 to last me until 26th Jan, and I have a holiday to Portugal from 10-17th January.

Phone bill and AA together will be £40. I don't even have a car anymore but my dad needs AA and it costs the same to have us both on it :rotfl: unfortunately he needs the top coverage on AA which is £20 a month now. I tried haggling but they won't budge!

So I have £266 to cover groceries, christmas travel, any last minute xmas bits and spending money for holiday and I won't be able to put any additional money away in January like I usually do.

Sister and boyf still owe me £800 and £940 respectively but neither can start paying me back until Feb/March.

I would estimate I'm going to spend £60 on christmas travel (back home and up north to visit BF's fam) and I will eat down my tiny stores in January. I was going to do veganuary anyway so this will help me along the way :p

Since I'm away for one week in January anyway I'm going to aim for my grocery budget in January to be £50 for myself, so £100 between me and my sis as we share all our food anyway. I think this is doable, especially since we have a lot of basics such as rice and frozen bread, quinoa and couscous. Vegetables are really cheap at the moment too so I will stock up. I'm planning to buy some cauliflower and broccoli (20p each at my local), chop em up and freeze them as it works out cheaper than buying bags of frozen veg.

I will take £100 spending money on my holiday and hope to come back with some of it left. I do still need to pay for a transfer from the accommodation to the airport.

This leaves me £56 account fodder and unexpected expenses! Wish me luck!
    Total £7,000
  • Oh heck - definitely good luck!

would I be correct in assuming that the reason that your parents decided they didn't want to claw the money back from your sister was because they knew that she might not be over enthusiastic to pay it back?! :p
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Thanks EH.

My sister is a bit baffling to me. My parents are still convinced she’s much better with money than I am but I don’t think that’s the case.

Anyway. I know she will definitely pay me back but it’s just a question of when.

An update on today...

£5.90(ish) spent today at the fast food place beginning with an M. I accidentally left my lunchbox at work yesterday so no lunch taken in today, I’m not too annoyed as I’ve brought lunch in every single day this month besides today so I’m taking it at a Christmas treat.

Bit tipsy writing this as we were taken out for drinks as the end of year celebration and I ended up having three glasses of wine on an empty stomach!

Looking forward to Christmas but I know it’s gonna be tough holding off on the jan sales!

Hope everyone has a happy Xmas
    Total £7,000
  • Hi all. Checking in and hoping everyone had a lovely Christmas.

I had a really good time at home and at OH’s family’s. Keeping hold of the good memories of fun times had.

Realised that although I spent a long time and a lot of money getting the perfect gift for everyone, and it was indeed appreciated, the same was not returned and I am trying very hard not to be ungrateful and appreciate what I was given. It’s not the value of the items but the fact that it is clear that no thought went into purchasing them and it was a case of “good enough”. Oh well. At least everyone I gave to loved their gifts as much as anticipated.

A bit of drama with the parental loan. I regret taking the money from my parents at all to be honest. Even though it’s clearly the most MSE option I’m wondering if it was a good idea for my general happiness and relationship with my parents. My mother is a fickle and forgetful being sometimes and it’s really showing. She is insisting that some of the terms of repayment were not as agreed, and also insisting that I have paid her back less than I actually have whilst refusing to look at or listen to evidence. My sister has stepped in to try to mediate but it has just resulted in my mother badmouthing me which she is apt to do.

Anyway. There is just over £11.5k outstanding on the parental loan and it will become my main focus from now on rather than my overdraft or any interest bearing loans as I would rather avoid any further future conflict. Amount is also to be confirmed since it is currently not being accepted that I have paid off the right amount even though I can prove it with bank statements, and I suspect interest may now be applied to it.

My mum, whilst a lovely woman most of the time, has a habit of fixating on one thing and twisting it into something entirely unrecognisable and unfortunately it seems that’s what has happened now.
    Total £7,000
  • And to kick me whilst I’m down... our 3 hour car journey has lasted 5 and a half hours with another 2 hours to go, my OH has food poisoning and we got caught by a speed camera going at 70 (variable limit 60) whilst trying desperately to get off the motorway to a safe place so that we could stop for him to be sick. The fine will be about £100 and neither of us can afford it at all. Goes to show how important an emergency fund is.:(
    Total £7,000
  • Oh no silver queen, how frustrating. Fingers crossed your mother sorts her head out, and that the camera is one of those they don't bother with. Hope your OH feels better soon
  • Thank you redofromstart for your kind words. They mean a lot and are much appreciated.

Fortunately OH is feeling much better now, and an email has been sent to the institution responsible for said food poisoning.

Having thought about it for far too long we realised that we were actually not properly over the speed limit - OH’s speedo showed that we were over by about 1 or 2 mph but his speedo is 4mph fast so we are hoping that it was someone else who got flashed, not us. OH is miffed as he has never ever had a single fine or ticket of any sort in his over a decade’s worth of driving.

Somehow I don’t think the excuse of food poisoning will fly if we were to try to appeal it :cool:

Drama with Mum mostly sorted out, she seems to have realised that she was being unreasonable. Still, I am going to prioritise this debt from now on as it is my largest debt and I’d like it to p1ss off anyway :D

Today I’m popping into town to exchange an item that poor OH got me but I don’t like... and I’m no good at hiding when I don’t like things so he knew straight away and silently presented me with the receipt to return or exchange it, bless him.

MSE wise, I finally cancelled my AA membership yesterday, catalysed by a rude phone operator who told me the only way I could get what I wanted was to cancel my membership. I took him up on it straight away. That’s another £20 saved per month, although they’ve just taken out a payment from me so I have cover until the middle of Feb. I couldn’t be bothered to try to claw back that £20 so I’m just going to call it a win.
    Total £7,000
  • I feel so awful for you silver queen, that must be hard when it’s your mother. Do you know how long it’ll take you to pay her off? Definitely appeal the speeding ticket! The worst they can do is say no to the appeal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure