Debts after husbands death

Options
Rockyg
Rockyg Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 19 November 2012 at 11:36PM in Dealing with debts & debt disputes
I am a pensioner on state pension and pension credit
My Husband died in March and left me with a funeral bill of 4000 pounds ,he had a funeral plan of 2004 pounds leaving just under 2000 pounds short,
I have paid the stone mason 550 pounds and owe 1350 pounds to funeral director and 200 pounds to Cardiff council.
i am paying funeral director 100 pounds a month and Council 10 pounds.
i was coping with this but unfortunately there are other debts,any solely in my husbands name died with him ,but there is 3095 in my name on a credit card from our joint account,this was also my husbands but its in my name.i realise I will have to pay this myself.
The bank has passed this to a recovery agency, after giving them all my expenses utilities etc they want me to pay them all surplus to them,I refused as this would leave me with no spare income for emergencies whatever.
What is a reasonable amount I can offer them until all funeral exs are paid off and I would be willing to increase payments.

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    If you are jointly liable, then you would have to pay I would think. Have you explained your circumstances to the card co?

Sorry for your loss.

Incidentally, it doesnt help, but had to arrange three family funerals in last 5 years and they were all £2-2.5K (cremations). I see some very high figures on here in general , granted a burial is always going to be mroe.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speak to the debt charities CCCS or Payplan about a Debt Management Plan, they will arrange a reasonable payment figure. In the mean time make token payments of £1 every month DO NOT miss this. You should not really have organised a funeral that you could not afford, the debts should have been paid from the estate first.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Rockyg
    Options
    Thanks for your comments ,,i did say I was aware as the debt was in my name I knew I had to pay it....

When my husband died I placed it with a funeral director close to my home,It was 1 hearse,1 car for myself and stepson,this does not include any catering costs,very basic,i realise now it could have possibly been done cheaper ,but the last thing on my mind was going shopping round for prices.....
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2012 at 10:20AM
    Options
    Rockyg wrote: »
    I am a pensioner on state pension and pension credit
    My Husband died in March and left me with a funeral bill of 4000 pounds ,he had a funeral plan of 2004 pounds leaving just under 2000 pounds short,
    I have paid the stone mason 550 pounds and owe 1350 pounds to funeral director and 200 pounds to Cardiff council.
    i am paying funeral director 100 pounds a month and Council 10 pounds.
    i was coping with this but unfortunately there are other debts,any solely in my husbands name died with him ,but there is 3095 in my name on a credit card from our joint account,this was also my husbands but its in my name.i realise I will have to pay this myself.
    The bank has passed this to a recovery agency, after giving them all my expenses utilities etc they want me to pay them all surplus to them,I refused as this would leave me with no spare income for emergencies whatever.
    What is a reasonable amount I can offer them until all funeral exs are paid off and I would be willing to increase payments.

I would suggest you pop over to the Debt Free Wannabe board, post your SoA there (details available on how to do this on a sticky thead there) and let's get you some help asap :)

You could do something similar with your local CAB office, but some are finding it difficult even to make an appointment, and I know at my local office appointments are being made at least a couple of weeks away, and it could take more than one apppointment to sort this out.
    So post over on the DFW board and someone will help you very, very soon.
    Look forward to seeing your post there :)
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Rockyg, thank you for your query regarding debts after husband's death.
    Firstly I would suggest you seek help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau who can look at all your circumstances and consider other options such as an Administration Order or a Debt Relief Order as well as negotiating with your creditors and they may also be able to help you put in a late claim for a Funeral Grant as you are claiming Pension Credit. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau at www.citizensadvice.org.uk and to prepare for your appointment I would suggest you gather paperwork including a balance and account number for each creditor and original agreements if you have them, a detailed income and expenditure and proof of your benefit income and a credit reference if possible. In the meantime I would suggest you write to each of your creditors explaining your situation and asking them to hold action until you get advice. You can find more information about options for dealing with debts and negotiating with creditors at www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • JuneS
    JuneS Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 20 November 2012 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Rockyg wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments ,,i did say I was aware as the debt was in my name I knew I had to pay it....

When my husband died I placed it with a funeral director close to my home,It was 1 hearse,1 car for myself and stepson,this does not include any catering costs,very basic,i realise now it could have possibly been done cheaper ,but the last thing on my mind was going shopping round for prices.....

I had to arrange a funeral for a close relative recently.

I am not rich, but didn't particularly skimp on the funeral. As you say it's not a time when one typically shops around and I went with the Co-op to arrange things. I since discovered that if i used a local independent funeral director that are highly recommended, I could have got things a little cheaper.

The funeral arrangements appear similar to yours:
    1 hearse plus 1 limo

But the coffin I opted for was not the cheapest, and for personal reasons I agreed to pay the funeral director a small fortune (over £350!) to arrange newspaper insertions, the printing of service sheets and some floral tributes.

Even so, the total bill came to £600 less than you appear to have been charged.

As a surviving spouse, are you entitled to a bereavement payment? If so, that's £2000 :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JuneS wrote: »
    As a surviving spouse, are you entitled to a bereavement payment? If so, that's £2000 :)

Pensioners can't claim this.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Pensioners can't claim this.

The OP may still be eligible if the spouse was not entitled to Category A state Retirement Pension when they died

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you asked the funeral director for a complete breakdown of the costs involved? I think you have been overcharged royally and if they didnt give you a full estimate beforehand, you might well consider challenging them.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised other people have been paid before the funeral directors.

They are the ones who are usually paid first, then priority debts, then debts.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport