Airband wireless broadband

We live in a “broadband poor” area, a small village on the edge of Dartmoor, no chance we’d ever get fibre I fear. Our B.B. speed is pretty poor, usually 2.5 mbit or less and, as it’s overhead feed often affected by the weather. A company called Airband has set up local masts and promises speeds up to 30mbit over a wireless (point to point radio) system. Does anyone have any experience of this company or type of service? Specifically how reliable are they/the system? What sort of speeds do they achieve in reality, as I’m not fooled by the “up to” hype!

It isn’t going to save us any money but we really would love to use Netflix and the like, even browsing websites can be slow and cumbersome if they have videos running.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is a similar technology to satellite broadband except done on a smaller scale. It'll be more susceptible to weather and line-of-sight interference I would have thought and being "wireless" I'm not convinced its going to be any more reliable speed wise than what you have now.

Netflix does work on any broadband connection even down to half a megabyte. If you want HD or multi-device streaming it will eat more data but it should be usable on its own.

Unfortunately all internet connections suffer from speed issues if they're slow and trying to do multiple things. Think of it as a pipe - your internet speed is pipe, your speed is the size of the pipe and water is your internet traffic. The thinner your pipe the slower your internet and so the more water (traffic) you feed down it the longer it takes to get through.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi a bit late to the discussion, we have had airband for 2 years now and after using all the main suppliers at different properties over the years this has been the best and most constant service.

BT only gave us 1 MBS , with airband we constantly get between 13 and 18 MBS. Customer service is the best too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure