Zero waste, plastic-free, MoneySaving Christmas

1235»

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ben84 wrote: »
    This is all a self-made problem. We could have been turning unwanted plastic in to electricity and heat for years, but have focused on trying to turn it in to new consumer goods - despite the generally poor quality of recycled plastic goods and the low cost of new plastic. Household waste management has become this awkward attempt at a planned economy in the middle of capitalism, and it seems to need a lot of shoring up from moment to moment.

Sadly, I think you may be right. Whilst re-use and recycle are always better, the problems you describe with plastics are very real, so power from incineration may be the best option.

I live in Wales, which has done extremely well at recycling, but I wonder how this will work in the future when countries like China start to restrict or ban the importation of recycling material.

Wales is second best household waste recycler in the world

China waste clampdown could create UK cardboard recycling chaos, say industry experts
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Sadly, I think you may be right. Whilst re-use and recycle are always better, the problems you describe with plastics are very real, so power from incineration may be the best option.

I live in Wales, which has done extremely well at recycling, but I wonder how this will work in the future when countries like China start to restrict or ban the importation of recycling material.

Wales is second best household waste recycler in the world

China waste clampdown could create UK cardboard recycling chaos, say industry experts

Paper and cardboard at least has a viable home disposal option for many people - compost it. I put a lot of paper and card in my compost bin and make pretty good compost from it. I've been attempting to revive the very tired, thin topsoil in my garden. We're on a steep hill, which was a farm until the 1920s when it got sold for development. Apparently the soil was wrecked from farming and a lot had washed away, so they turned it in to houses. I believe this story, we have about 6 inches of top soil before you hit solid chalk :/ I don't see how they were growing anything on any great scale in this! Well, years of composted cardboard have been poured in to my garden and it's still awful soil, but the cardboard has been dealt with in a pretty green way I guess
  • Hi, I recently found an inline plastic free shop, ingreens.co.uk and ordered beeswax wraps to wrap my food in. They also sell lots of other replaceable to single use plastic. My order arrived without any plastic and they'd used decorated newspaper and jute! So Impressed!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure