Programmable thermostats

Can you recommend me a programmable thermostat please?

We are in a rental house at the moment and have Hive here, but have been very unimpressed, it regularly loses contact with the heating and so turned the radiators on full blast a number of times when it was already 25+ degrees in the house. I don't know if it's just a bit rubbish generally, or whether it's because this unit was put in by the landlord and we can't get it on the internet to do updates on it. We will be moving back in to our own house soon and want something that we can program different temperatures for different times of the day.

Comments

• If you just want a hard wired programmable stat then the centre brand (its actually a honeywell) one will be good enough (plumb centre) if you want a smart stat then you won't go wrong with Nest
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • We have Hive and it's been fine.

We only really wanted it to be able to set multiple timers and different temperatures throughout the week and the "boost" function.

It has all the standard features such as detecting when you leave work or are returning home but we don't really bother with that.

We do however find it useful to use the phone app to manually turn it on and off or boost when you're upstairs or away from the house(we have a townhouse so going down 2 floors is an effort), or set it to vacation mode without resetting anything.

The thermostat that was in the house originally was terrible.
    Didn't differentiate days of the week, only had 2 possible on/off times, and you could only choose one temperature. Always had to manually adjust it for weekends. Hive was a big improvement!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It sounds like a problem with your Hive install, ours works perfectly. You could try asking the landlord to sort it rather than forking out for another timer.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Thanks all. I did look at Honeywell, but in my mind I needed more than the 4 sessions per day it had. Thinking about it, I am not sure we do though.

It's for our own house not the rental, so is an install from scratch.
  • Hive can be problematic if not connected to the internet, ask the landlord for the original hub to let it do the required updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure