Energy Usage 2018

Options

Comments

• Rosabear
    Options
    3 bed mid terrace house with solid walls.

Gas 10600kwh and electric 4160kwh.

I'm surprised our gas was so low given the weather. We have a combi boiler.
  • Thankyou for the replies.

It would appear my gas usage is way too high!
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Electricity @ 3,000 KWh is around normal for a 3bed semi, 26,000 KWH of gas is not
    Check your meter, it will be marked either ft3 or m3, but sometimes suppliers mix them up
    If the meter is marked m3, look at a bill and divide the number of KWh charged by the meter units used, the answer should be appx 11.2 - If it's appx 31.5 your supplier is charging for the wrong type of meter and owes you a shed full of money.

If the meter checks out, the next possibility is that you have a gas leak
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Interesting notation Raxiel :)

It felt appropriate, given I was rounding to thousands of kWh
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Except it should be MWh. mWh is milliwatt hours. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2018 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Hi Dogshome, The meter is a Schlumberger R5. Notation in ft3. I'm therefore assuming its Imperial.

I looked at the reading i took 12 months ago, and the reading last week, and its 800 units.
    Converting this to kwh on UKpower site, gives 25326.8531kwh.

The needle on the meter does not move at all when not using anything, although there could still be leakage from an appliance which is 'ON'. However surely i would smell this?
  • Just out of interest, I measured a bath full of water at 6kwh, and a sink for washing-up at 0.5kwh. Central Heating for last night was 10kwh.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 13 September 2018 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Just checked mine, online I can see a few years. Interesting to see how it's changed. 3 bed semi, 2 adults 2 older kids.

2014: Gas 17411, Elec 6464
    2015: Gas 19189, Elec 7255
    2016: Gas 22334, Elec 7387
    2017: Gas 20955, Elec 7850

Our boiler was old and very inefficient, had it replaced with a Combi in December last year so hopefully the gas usage may have gone down this year.

I can also drill down, for that high gas in 2016, seems we used nearly 5000kWh in March 2016. Have never topped 3000kWh in any other month in the last 5 years, so not sure what happened there. Must have left the heating on during the day.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Thankyou for the replies.

It would appear my gas usage is way too high!

Does look like that when you look at my last few years figures for gas above which are high but not as high as yours.

But I can explain mine due to a 30 year old inefficient boiler setup with gravity fed hot water. If we wanted a bath in the summer months, it meant putting on the heating for 2 hours (with all the radiators turned off) to eventually get enough hot water in the cylinder for a bath. I'm really hoping the new combi will reduce all that (with the figure given by Deleted User above showing a bath tub is about 6kWh).

Another quick check of your meter/leaks is to see what your gas usage was in July/August when presumably you had no heating on at all so can probably say with a lot more certainty how much gas you should have used.

Just checked mine, and we used 125kWh between 9th Jul and 9th August 2018.
    If a bath really is 6kWh, then that equates to about 21 baths, as well as gas hobs for cooking and other hot water use, so seems about right to me.
  • Gwendolyn
    Options
    7500 for electricity! Ouch

We have oil boiler and a woodburner.

5 bed drafty old cottage with 5 inhabitants. There are permanently several computers on. I also do 2 loads of laundry per day and use a tumble drier 5x a week min in the winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure