Sainsburys Bank loan rate dishonesty

Comments

• easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Hubby applied to sainsburys bank for a loan to buy a 2nd hand car recently. The rate that was quoted when we made the application online (2.3% IIRC) was confirmed on the paperwork a few days later.

All good and a very easy straightforward application.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • I would rather they informed you directly that 'you didn't meet the criteria for that rate, unfortunately, but we can offer you at blah rate', yes. The way it is done now makes it appear underhand, and I would like to see their stats to check that that isn't standard operating practice - much like some dodgy insurance companies who's stock answer is to a pay out request being no before they are challenged on it.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 August 2018 at 3:08PM
    Sorry JimSteel, but lenders don't look at your credit score. Lenders only look at the data held within your credit report and the data provided by the borrower (you) during the application process. All that data is then independently scored by the lender against their own criteria and policies. The credit score that you see is not considered at all and is therefore meaningless in relation to the application process.

Hope that makes sense. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP do not take out this loan, try for a better rate at all costs as you seem to be hung up on the fact that you were offered 4% rather than 2.7%. You should try at least 5 other lenders.....hopefully by the 3 third credit card you should get an auto decline - which will be the best thing for you by the sounds of it.

Good luck and report back when you get offered the rate you are happy to pay.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    JimSteel wrote: »
    Just because something appears in the fine print, or can be defined away, does not make it right. It's underhand and misleading, pure and simple.
    But it's usually written there on the front page that the it is a representative rate,

I just had a look at Sainsburys loans webpage -

"We treat all our customers and their applications on an individual basis. The APR we offer is determined by the details you supply and the loan you are applying for, along with an independent verification of your credit and repayment history and will range from 2.7% to 25.9% APR."

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/borrowing/bor_borrowing_zone
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP, try doing a bit of research before posting about loan rates.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/interest-rates/
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2018 at 10:33PM
    I would rather they informed you directly that 'you didn't meet the criteria for that rate, unfortunately, but we can offer you at blah rate', yes. The way it is done now makes it appear underhand, and I would like to see their stats to check that that isn't standard operating practice - much like some dodgy insurance companies who's stock answer is to a pay out request being no before they are challenged on it.

As you believe it to be underhand then go ahead and start a petition to get it changed, speak to your MP, get yourself heard in parliament.

Do all that then come back and tell us ow you changed it.

OP I take it what you know what the word "representative" means ?
  • Blaketon
    Blaketon Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi Jim,
    Yes I agree with your original post.
    Blaketon
  • The rate is only JUST representative - 1% is marginal so I kind of understand Jim's disappointment.

It seems reasonable to expect that something advertised as 'representative' might mean something more than a 51% chance of approval.

However, like the marginal representative rate which Sainsbury's offers, so too is the marginal nature of this thread: Jim, you lost this time. Maybe you have been duped. Perhaps we're all being duped.

Oh well...
    Neither a borrower or lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just because something appears in the fine print, or can be defined away, does not make it right. It's underhand and misleading, pure and simple.

It's not in the "fine print" it's clearly visible right from the start - it's not underhand or misleading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure