2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    FlorenceJ, the mere fact that you take the time to look at your budget and know your own spending habits is good, taking it that step further and budgeting to live in debt freedom is even better, so you're definitely a winner if you know your numbers here. :D

Thank you, I am quite obsessive about managing my spending and keeping a record of it. I have spreadsheets dating back to April 2015 of my expenses, and frequently compare spending patterns across 6 month segments. This is why I know in 2016 I spent nearly £400 on clothes and shoes, and this year it has been less then £60.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Hi, Thanks Frugaldom for the new thread, I’m in for 2018!
    😊
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi :)

So glad to have found the challenge for next year :)

I've done this before but am now doing it with less of us and where I have control over the budget :)

So, please put me down...it's been a while since I've done 'frugal' and so I'm going to go with a monthly budget of £1000 and see how I go.

Is there still that wonderful spreadsheet around or are people doing their budget/spends in another way. I've definitely fallen off the wagon with keeping tabs.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I don’t always get to follow the posts, life gets in the way and I mostly tend to just post on my own diary thread, however I would like to follow along again this coming year, as I am determined to clear the debt my son left me in this year. Promises to repay me have not materialised and I have been left with around £13,000 debt.
    I look at my money daily, I juggle and I stress.
    In 2018 I want to finally master the art of saying No to my family.
    I want to clear my debts by June 2019 and so I am going to have to be frugal, resourceful and challenging myself to be more proactive in raising the money etc.
    I am on the verge of building £1,000 for my retirement fund. Tomorrow’s standing order of £25 will see me reach my target I set in September for £1000. I have little left anywhere else but I have a dream to buy an old village house in Portugal and I need £20,000 to get me there. (At today’s prices).
    I am off to Portugal on Thursday for Christmas, all paid for as I am my Mum’s companion and carer for the week.
    On my return I have new journal’s, and new budget book etc to start 2018 off on the right foot.
    Going back over old threads and revisiting these challenges is really what I need now.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    FrankieM wrote: »
    Is there still that wonderful spreadsheet around or are people doing their budget/spends in another way. I've definitely fallen off the wagon with keeping tabs.
    If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send a copy over to you - hopefully later today. It just needs a minor tweak so that it knows it's being used for 2018 rather than 2017 ;)
    Cheryl
  • thanks for the new thread frugaldom, please can I join. I was on 2017's thread but never posted anything due to issues in living situation. I will sort out my budget and post it soon on the thread. x
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi

I would like to join please. I think I have budget almost sorted.

M
  • I would like to join too please - will unearth the budget.

we have sorted out a lot of our finances and taken a major dip in salary (and survived) so the next step is to hammer the mortgage and make headway into our savings for our escape to an island and the year round sunshine in 5 years! Frugal living will certainly help that mission!
    Well lets see - I dip in and out of MSE all the time but I still come back - have done since 2007!!! 2023 - Fashion on a ration - 5/66 2023 - 1p Chalenge - £18 in Monzo pot (cannot do pennies so am rounding up)2023 - Frugal Living - Budget still to be finalised - ambition is to cut my food budget by 20% by shopping smarter and meal planning 2023 - January - NSD 15/20 February - NSD 3/15
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    FrankieM wrote: »

Hi FrankieM! Really pleased to see you are still here and still budget-conscious. You, too, will need to come visit some day to see what all this frugal living mallarky has achieved so far. :T:j
    I added a link to my original downloadable spreadsheet, it's in post 1, just ask any questions relating to how it works. It's based on a set budget from day one (yours would be 12k) and you simply deduct each spend as you go so there's always a running total that allows you to balance the books as you go. :) Failing that, you can PM username CW18 and Cheryl can send you a copy of her more detailed version for adapting to suit.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome to everyone who is returning to this challenge to take part in 2018 - it's going to be an exciting year. :)

Mooloo, good luck with your aims and ambitions and well done with your £1k goal being achieved so quickly. :)

I'll get the latest names added to our list and then try to complete my own 2018 budget, as it's a slightly different financial plan for next year, having new place to get up and running as a frugal retreat. Without the frugal living challenge, none of t would be possible so I guarantee that as soon as things here are up & running smoothly, you're all welcome to escape to the country without worrying too much about the costs. :D 2018, for me, is about meeting more frugalers and offering the opportunity to come and visit what you have all helped me to achieve. :beer:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport