Trickle vents - yes or no?

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2016 at 4:38PM
    cajef wrote: »
    Locked or not it is far easier to force a partially open window than one fully closed.

It's not actually, they are both equally simple, if determined.

To you or me it may seem more difficult, to the average terd it's a couple more seconds
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • cyclonebri1
    cajef wrote: »
    I would be surprised if that is correct if a property was left unoccupied with the windows on the night latch setting.

Then be surprised, ;);)

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• cyclonebri1
    Furts wrote: »
    The real world practicailties are this is true, but it is child's play to prise open a window on night latch setting. Any good screwdriver, or nail bar will suffice for this - which is why burglars are known to regularly carry them around.

With this in mind there are posts earlier mentioning security, and extolling the peace of mind with trickle vents. I back this thought process.

It's a futile discussion as any plastic window bends to such a degree that a 3 year old with a pry bar can get in.

All the work they have done on stopping entry through plassy panelled UPVC doors, anti ram panels??????, they ad 3m mdf and think that fixes it.

Battery powered jigsaw to take the lot out and the jobs a goodun sarge.

• Regards entry...

I suppose none of you saw the Crimewatch episode a few months ago where they just removed the window?

No struggling with trickle vents or night latches, just removed the whole thing & stepped in like the front door was open.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I haven't got and wouldn't have trickle vents.
    At the end of the day the window is glass and plastic, both easier to break than a locking system.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Regards entry...

I suppose none of you saw the Crimewatch episode a few months ago where they just removed the window?

No struggling with trickle vents or night latches, just removed the whole thing & stepped in like the front door was open.

In my old house I broke in after losing my keys, by removing the beading and then the glazing (then putting it back). As I understand it , this isn;t possible on more modern upvc windows....
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Silver-Surfer_2 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    DRP wrote: »
    In my old house I broke in after losing my keys, by removing the beading and then the glazing (then putting it back). As I understand it , this isn;t possible on more modern upvc windows....

If they're externally glazed and without clips holding the glass in its possible.
  • I think regarding safety & burglaries we can all agree on the fact that if someone is determined to get in then they're going to get in.

If they're just a chancer then a night latch is probably going to turn them off.
  • cyclonebri1
    I think regarding safety & burglaries we can all agree on the fact that if someone is determined to get in then they're going to get in.

If they're just a chancer then a night latch is probably going to turn them off.

Without trying to be patronising at last you are getting this.

Go with the majority regarding vents. However this leads into the security issue, but as you say" ,if someone is determined to get in then they're going to get in."

Yes, they simply go for the next easiest and it is always round the back, concentrate there on security issues.

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2016 at 2:29PM
    Without trying to be patronising at last you are getting this.

Go with the majority regarding vents. However this leads into the security issue, but as you say" ,if someone is determined to get in then they're going to get in."

Yes, they simply go for the next easiest and it is always round the back, concentrate there on security issues.

That can be a very dangerous strategy on a DIY forum.....;)

Just because the "Majority" have one opinion doesn't make it the right opinion.As I've said numerous times if trickle vents were such a great idea why are they no longer compulsory to comply with building regs?.

Just to add.

Insurance companies specify that all windows on the ground floor should have locking fasteners and or stay-bars .There is no similar obligation for any windows above ground floor nor any obligation to keep windows fully closed at night so any window which is left on the night vent on a fastener which is a locking fastener would comply with insurance criteria.

If someone wants to get into a house they will ,whether its breaking the glass,using a jemmy bar to force entry or taking a telescopic ladder to gain access through an open window on a 1st floor or taking a hammer and nail punch with them and gently tapping out the hinge pins on any opening sashes..........

Just wanted to clarify this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport