Crazy water bills! Please advise!

Hello,

I suspect my water company is screwing with me.

Thames Water charges me for 152 cubic metres of water per year. That's 152 tons of water. I live alone and am extremely frugal with my water usage: no dishwasher, taking no baths (no time for that, really), take most showers in the gym, recycle used water for plants and flushing, etc.

I have never seen the meter, it is apparently hidden somewhere beneath the pavement. There has not been any leaks in the area.

One thing I know I cannot be possibly using 152 tons of water. I googled around for the UK average usage, that is equal to what a family of 5 uses (or a frugal family of 7).

Before I start going down on TW as a tons of bricks, I would like to confirm is my suspicion is reasonable? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    amitski wrote: »
    Hello,

Thames Water charges me for 152 cubic metres of water per year. That's 152 tons of water. I live alone and am extremely frugal with my water usage: no dishwasher, taking no baths (no time for that, really), take most showers in the gym, recycle used water for plants and flushing, etc.

I have never seen the meter, it is apparently hidden somewhere beneath the pavement. There has not been any leaks in the area.

One thing I know I cannot be possibly using 152 tons of water. I googled around for the UK average usage, that is equal to what a family of 5 uses (or a frugal family of 7).

Before I start going down on TW as a tons of bricks, I would like to confirm is my suspicion is reasonable? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Surely the sensible thing would be to actually start taking regular meter readings and make sure there is no leak by checking the meter is not turning when all water is off.

If it's in the pavement it will usually be under a metal cover which you can lift up and check yourself.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I live on my own on a meter with Thames Water and I use around 60 cubic meters per year.

The bill you get like mine will have the starting meter reading and the ending meter reading. It will also have the meter serial number stated.
    Mine says "actual" against the reading as my meter is easily available on my driveway - does yours?

In any event you need to locate the meter confirm it is yours from the serial number usually stamped round the outer edge flange and start taking readings yourself to really see your daily usage.
    There could quite easily be a leak. Depending on the ground conditions a leak might well not be visible at the surface as it drains away in the ground.
    You switch everything off in the house and then check the meter's cog wheel - if it still going round there is a leak. (Turn things on and off and check the meter you think is yours once you have found it to confirm that it is by the rate of water usage)

I've myself never had any problems with T.W and their meter readings, The reading taken by them are correct they appear on my bill correctly and the figures are in line with my expected consumption and house use.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    I love it when people complain / post about sky high water,gas or electric but cant be ar5ed to take a meter reading
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 11 September 2018 at 9:15AM
    ;)
    Hello,

I suspect in a high level Board meeting at Thames Water a resolution has been passed to to personally 'screw' amitski. ;)

Except, given the financial structure imposed on the water companies by The Water Act, overcharging you doesn't produce more profit for Thames, it simply reduces the bill for other customers - probably by about one hundred thousandth of a penny.

There could be many reasons why you have been charged for 152 cubic metres of water' e.g.

An external leak,

An internal leak

Using wrong meter,

A 'catch up' bill after wrongly estimated bills.

Your neighbour's property consumption going through your meter.

etc etc

It really would help if you found and read your meter as a first step.
  • amitski
    amitski Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gardner1 wrote: »
    I love it when people complain / post about sky high water,gas or electric but cant be ar5ed to take a meter reading

Thank you very much for your input, I love sarcasm, however, it is rather misplaced here.

My water metres are not in my property. Apparently, they are hidden somewhere beneath the footpath outside in the street and I have no means to locate them, let alone, take readings.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's harsh re water readings - if you know where your water meter is, you have to lift the flap, then use something to reach down and remove a polystyrene "bung", then read it ... ignoring the spiders.

For some houses, you don't know where it is... it's magic. Mine are located somewhere outside, possibly even IN the main road. The water company do it all ... unseen...
  • amitski
    Cardew wrote: »
    ;)

I suspect in a high level Board meeting at Thames Water a resolution has been passed to to personally 'screw' amitski. ;)

Except, given the financial structure imposed on the water companies by The Water Act, overcharging you doesn't produce more profit for Thames, it simply reduces the bill for other customers - probably by about one hundred thousandth of a penny.

There could be many reasons why you have been charged for 152 cubic metres of water' e.g.

An external leak,

An internal leak

Using wrong meter,

A 'catch up' bill after wrongly estimated bills.

Your neighbour's property consumption going through your meter.

etc etc

It really would help if you found and read your meter as a first step.

Sweet, snideness is exactly what I was looking for here. :T

I checked with my neighbour who also lives alone, her bills are also way out of proportion. She tried to challenge TW a few years ago but didn't get far. She's more loaded than I am, so less inclined to pinch pennies and pounds.

I made sure there was no catch-up bull when I moved in.

There are no internal leaks. An external leak started over a week ago (I'm working on it) but 'm talking about bills spanning two years back now.

I do not think it is a corporate-wide complot to defraud me, but some slipshod work ethic, bureaucratic glitches, or lazy negligence are rather likely to be the problem. I google around, seems rather common.
  • amitski
    Uxb wrote: »
    I live on my own on a meter with Thames Water and I use around 60 cubic meters per year.

The bill you get like mine will have the starting meter reading and the ending meter reading. It will also have the meter serial number stated.
    Mine says "actual" against the reading as my meter is easily available on my driveway - does yours?

In any event you need to locate the meter confirm it is yours from the serial number usually stamped round the outer edge flange and start taking readings yourself to really see your daily usage.
    There could quite easily be a leak. Depending on the ground conditions a leak might well not be visible at the surface as it drains away in the ground.
    You switch everything off in the house and then check the meter's cog wheel - if it still going round there is a leak. (Turn things on and off and check the meter you think is yours once you have found it to confirm that it is by the rate of water usage)

I've myself never had any problems with T.W and their meter readings, The reading taken by them are correct they appear on my bill correctly and the figures are in line with my expected consumption and house use.

Thank you so much for your reply. :A

My meter is somewhere outside beneath the footpath. Would it be legal for me to try to open the manhole and check it myself?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you very much for your input, I love sarcasm, however, it is rather misplaced here.

My water metres are not in my property. Apparently, they are hidden somewhere beneath the footpath outside in the street and I have no means to locate them, let alone, take readings.

So three weeks on you still haven't taken a meter reading...

What do you mean you have "no means to locate them". You simply look outside your property on the pavement/road for metal covers. Start with the smaller ones (usually with "water" written on them). Open them up and look for a water meter, if you find several near your property then get someone to help you by turning taps on and off in your house to see which one registers water use at the same time.

It's not difficult and your just wasting more and more money the longer you leave it if there is an issue.
    Thank you so much for your reply. :A

My meter is somewhere outside beneath the footpath. Would it be legal for me to try to open the manhole and check it myself?

Of course it is legal to read your meter.
  • Alternatively look for a black plastic square with a round cover in it if it's a newer property. Also look for blue spray paint, used by the water company to help their meter readers and engineers spot where the meter is with minimal fuss.

Of course you can lift covers. That's why they are covers and not concreted over, to allow access for legitimate reasons (like yours)., Just make sure you put them back. If a plastic one cracks and breaks because it has perished simply report to whoever owns what's underneath (gas water, electricity, BT etc.). No need to say who broke it just that it needs fixing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure