How to compare quotes for windows?

We need to replace the windows in our lounge (2 tall narrow windows, about 2m tall and 70 mm wide) and in our bedroom (bay, so three windows. Low ceiling, so not huge, about 1.8m high).

Quote 1:
5 upvc windows,
reinforced,
internally beaded,
28mm double glazed sealed units with Pilkington K glass which retains the heat,
MDF internal finishings on all windows
5yrs guarantee
£3420

Quote 2:
5 70mm UPVC windows
New UPVC externa cills and new mahogany hardwood internal finishings 8standar trim)
All windows with Planitherm low "e" argon filled double glazed sealed units
Each window will come complete with high security multipoint Espag locking system (and other stuff that seems irrelevant)
The windows will be fully steel reinforced and internally beaded for maximum security
10 yrs guarantee
£4440

(I am still waiting for quite 3)

I have not included all the blur, but only what sounds relevant.

Is there a real difference between quote 1 and quote 2?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Hi Andrea,

If you scroll down a couple of posts I'm in pretty much the same situation. Had 3 quotes - 2 came out at about £3k and he other came out at closer to £5.5k.

In essence, I think it's largely down to the profile manufacturer system they buy in from. The dificulty is in judging the quality of each production system, because they all claim to be fantastic....

There are actually quite a few different profiles in use. Selecta, EuroCell, Profile 22, Kommerling, Rehau are the ones I've come across. There are plenty more, so your installer could have another brand that I'm not aware of and can't tell you anything about.

In a somewhat weird twist, the more expensive installer spotted that one of my Windows is an older Profile 22 unit - I have to say that it looks to have done better then the others that were another/generic brand that Birmingham council used back in the 90's.

You'd think that we'd just snap the hands off the lowest priced contractor, but it's actually making me wonder what I'm buying for £3k instead of £5k +

I probably want the more expensive guy, it's a case of seeing if I can afford it. I have a pot and it has to do a fair amount of improvements including windows and doors.
  • Andrea15
    Andrea15 Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks Brummie. Yes, I have read your post and I do feel for you.

I didn't say that we have had another quote for 10k, then down to 6.5K. They have been automatically deselected because I cannot stand that way of conducting business (the only thing I do remember is that their windows too were argon filled).
  • I think all modern double glazing uses Argon between the glass. It's an inert gas and has a better/lower thermal conductivity then normal air - this helps the windows achieve the required energy efficiency ratings.

I agree about the sales tactics. It does reek of greed - essentially seeing what they can get away with charging. Knocks your confidence in them and ultimately the product they sell. They clearly weren't worth it to begin with.

Someone else I know is window shopping and had SafeGlaze out. They started ofd with a quote for £25k, then £10k, then £6k after speaking to their manager and only if they agreed there and then etc. Proper 80's Dodgy Dave antics. I'm almost tempted to ask them for a quote just for fun!
  • Andrea15
    In the end we are going for the cheapest option. About 2,5K. Big local firm. The frame is Vika and teh panes are Planitherm.
    Considering that they all look pretty much identical, I can't thihnk of a reason to go for a more expensive quote.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 October 2018 at 9:47PM
    Andrea15 wrote: »
    In the end we are going for the cheapest option. About 2,5K. Big local firm. The frame is Vika and teh panes are Planitherm.
    Considering that they all look pretty much identical, I can't thihnk of a reason to go for a more expensive quote.

probably the right call veka are decent and planitherm is above average but standard in todays jobs . whats coming out ? and how old are they. Your units lower than 800 off the floor inside or out will need to be toughened
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Andrea15
    greenface wrote: »
    probably the right call veka are decent and planitherm is above average but standard in todays jobs . whats coming out ? and how old are they. Your units lower than 800 off the floor inside or out will need to be toughened
    What do you mean "what is coming out"? if you are referring to the old windows, they are 25 years old (the date is on the inside). As I said elsewhere meaybe they could have been salvaged as they look OK, although the opening bit is very loose. Also, the putty on the outside is peeling off big time and the plastic bead around it is hanging out.
    The important bit I feel is the insultaion underneath the window which I suspect is the root of our problems.

The window in the lounge will be in toughened glass (they said, I didn't know anything about it).
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    If you have 6 ft windows and a low celing in the bedroom they also need to be toughened . I asked whats coming out . the sizes you've mentioned sound like original box sash sizes . I'm thinking of how much making good with you mentioning timer . If they've already been replaced with PVCu but boxed back in timber they will possibly all need reboxing back in . there are sometimes big voids behind on all sides which are cold spots and dust catchers . Make sure when theyre fitted they fill any spaces with some insulatution . foam/ kingspan or suitable for the job .
  • Andrea15
    ABSOLUTELY! As I said we have a huge void underneath and two more voids where the sash and case mechanism used to be. We can use Kingspan under the window, but to the sides will have to be either foam or wool.
    On the plus side, we have resurrected our perfectly functional, and pretty much "new", shutters. Why the previous owners they decided to close them off is something that I fail to understand.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    so you still have a lot of the original internal timbers , You've took out the sashes and fitted new frames in the past into the casing by the sounds of it . the side and top all the way around wont have filling . might be worth taking the weight covers off and trying to stuff lagging up as far as the top . love internal shutters and always try to encourage the cutomers leave them in situ
  • Andrea15
    Well, someone before me did all the replacing, not I.
    Are you saying that there most likely a void ABOVE the window as well? Not sure how to uncover that withouy making a mess, though.
    The sides and under the window are all exposed, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure