PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ....and for those of us with zero interest in history - errr...what is the Hanseatic League? (Am assuming it was some sort of EU?)

Your starter for 10 to sum up who belonged to it/what function it served/how and why it finished...:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Donald Trump has a narcissitic personality disorder and is no more capable of recognising how others view him than an oyster is capable of astrophysics. Ignore the fool - his only purpose is to distract us from the real power-brokers.

He's an old man. He won't be around indefinately. Be patient.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I think the Hanseatic league was a medieval trading alliance between mainly Baltic nations. There was a Hanseatic League festival in Bergen when we were there a couple of years ago . I can remember looking it up at that time but have forgotten most of the details.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Re the lounge floor. I used a joiner that a friend recommended and I was able to see his work. I did need to paint and it was a lot of work covering the new floor completely. It was worth it though. Still like new. The worst bit was waiting 12 weeks as he was so busy.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I agree. We lived for a long time without being in the EU and we can go back to that - just maybe a bit of a messy bit in the middle.

It's how long the middle lasts for that is key though, I fear.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( Donald Trump has a narcissitic personality disorder and is no more capable of recognising how others view him than an oyster is capable of astrophysics. Ignore the fool - his only purpose is to distract us from the real power-brokers.

He's an old man. He won't be around indefinately. Be patient.
    I decided to try to stop even reading articles about him ... he seems to thrive on creating upset, disarray and chaos, and reading and commenting about what he says feeds in to that. It's very tempting, because he and his words are horrifying, and anyway, as GQ says, there are other powerful people doing other unpleasant things. And that actually is prepping, as it stops me getting distressed/sinking into gloom, which is a real thing.

Physical prepping: I finally planted the three chive plants I grew on from a single supermarket plant :j My soil is really appalling :( and I hope they survive, but I do have a single well-established clump a little distance away, so they should.

I'm checking my cash stash - I am concerned about a really bad bank collapse coming up in the next year or so, but I can't totally withdraw from the banking system as I'm living on savings - just going to up it slightly.

Hanseatic League in Bergen: I got some great photos of the HQ there in the Bryggen, Thirzah, though from the numbers of tourists in the building, I *really* hope they reinforced it from 16th century standards :eek: :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    MITSTM you need to know the past to understand the present. The Hanseatic League was identical to the EU, even down to the Germans being in charge. Google it!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We weren't ever members of the Hanseatic League as a country. It was a league of merchant traders and cities states not countries anyway and in that sense was nothing like the EU. Germany at the time for example was really a collection of city states. It didn't become a country until the 18th century. Some cities in England belonged to it, Ipswich, kings Lyn and London spring to mind, and I think Hull but I may be wrong. Cities with trading ports and strong trading links were the primary members.
    I studied it at uni many years ago and found it fascinating. Wikipedia will give you a fairly accurate bare bones explaination, though it's not 100% accurate.
    MITSTM always be aware that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it! It repays interest and some knowledge and understanding of historical reasons for cause and effect.
    Right. Lecture over, I'm going to shop now :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's fairly similar to the EU though. We got a lot about it in school, I think it was a big thing in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The articles on the news feed seem to think we might, after DTs rampage through the interview with the Sun journalist yesterday, have to make a choice between the USA and the EU when it comes to trade deals if we have a soft Brexit, suddenly for some reason a soft Brexit and continued trade with the EU sounds like a very attractive proposition given the alternative!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure