Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Buy the storage containers, before they realise how long they actually last and stop making them! You know it's really :money: :D
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Buy the storage containers, before they realise how long they actually last and stop making them! You know it's really :money: :D

I agree it would be very MSE :rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You guys are the best :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I got quite a bit of knitting done tonight - have to feel I'm doing something while watching the footie! I don't usually manage to watch any sport of my own, not even with horses involved, but this one drew me in. DH (he who never watches football either) had to miss it as he had a prior commitment.

I haven't given in to the storage containers - yet. I need to work out how many I want/need, thereby saving postage.
    Spends:
    Housekeeping £4.51
    e-book £1.99 (gift voucher)
    Gift £30.00
    MS:
    £75 compensation for bank error in not setting up my DD
    £6 'reward' to be paid by bank (see above somewhere).
    All dinner ingredients from freezer or cupboards (liver and mash with onions and red wine gravy - rapidly becoming a favourite).
    10th coin savings 10p
    Confessions:
    Only needed dishwasher salt but ended up buying fruit and chocolate too.
    Decluttering:
    I didn't throw anything out (though those jalapenos may be doomed - and they're out of date so the food bank won't have them) - but the fridge and two big shelves look a lot better and I've finished up a small bottle of wine :D

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    H
    four jars of cranberry sauce, ....... a packet of meringues and a packet of sponge fingers?

Cranberry sauce never really goes out of date, last Xmas we ate cranberry sauce which had been opened and was dated 2014, no one died:rotfl: Seriously though I sometimes just have cranberry on the side if I am doing a roast chicken dinner - its not just for turkey.

Could the meringues and sponge fingers be made in to a trifle of sorts??
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Cranberry sauce never really goes out of date, last Xmas we ate cranberry sauce which had been opened and was dated 2014, no one died:rotfl: Seriously though I sometimes just have cranberry on the side if I am doing a roast chicken dinner - its not just for turkey.

Could the meringues and sponge fingers be made in to a trifle of sorts??

I love cranberry sauce - I just need more fridge space lol. I think I may just organise myself to have chicken, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches from time to time. :) Glad nobody came to grief over it last Christmas :rotfl: it's one of those things where you can see or smell if it's not right, can't you.

Trifle is a good idea! If I make a big one for Sunday dinner then that should get through quite a lot - I'm sure we have a backlog of jelly somewhere too!

• Cherryfudge
    edited 12 July 2018 at 11:05PM
    Options
    I don't seem to have got much done today though I've had various conversations with my sister about selling things we don't want from the house. The buy/sell/swap group we joined seems to be hopeless: my membership is still pending and she's had no response to the things she's posted and is very fed up. I've told her to focus on packing her stuff that she's taking from the house and let me deal with what's left but she insists on trying to sell things for a few more days apparently so it will be easier for the removal men to take stuff out. She did have a chap in to look at some ornaments but he thinks they won't sell. We may well end up taking more boxes to charity which I can do as I can gift aid them.

All this dealing with the house has put a bit of a dampener on the day but I think I'm getting more reconciled to things going. :)

DH suggested salmon for tea but I decided on veggie curry which is cheap and very tasty, thus helping pay the mortgage off about two minutes earlier. :D

I'm still actively tempted by those storage containers and found them cheapest in a 3-pack, at about the same time as I found some under-sink storage. Having just cleaned out under the sink, which is vastly overcrowded, and then put everything back because I don't have a better place for it, I think I need to make a decision or two.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £5.17
    MS:
    Veggie curry for tea, mostly from stores.
    Found a bag of timothy hay in the shed for the guinea pig - there is so little grass left that he needs a supplement!
    10th coin savings 20p

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These look nice - https://cookthestory.com/cranberry-oatmeal-bars-easy-dessert-recipe/

I usually make something similar but with jam and they are scrumptious but don't hang around very long!!!
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 14 July 2018 at 12:11AM
    Options
    They DO look nice, thanks EE! I've copied out the recipe so that might be a job for tomorrow afternoon.

Nothing spectacular going on here today except that it tried to rain for about 15 minutes this afternoon. When I say 'rain', think 'fine drift of spray that was probably largely reabsorbed into the air before it got as far as the ground'. Still, nice to know it still exists: I am still saving bathwater to keep the garden alive till the real thing. Not that I'm complaining: I love the summer.

I'm starting to get bored being at home, though. Looking forward to the weekend so I get some company and can go somewhere interesting. I did walk up to the far end of town today (12K steps in total) and bought a peg bag and some groceries. Met a former colleague on the way back and heard the gossip from our former workplace. I also managed to get my under-sink storage, collect my prescription, pay the milk bill and order the storage cannisters.

Oh, and when I emptied the old peg bag, I found a missing keyring at the bottom!

Spends:
    Housekeeping £7.06
    Household £38.73
    Pets £1.99
    MS:
    Shopped around and got the best price on the storage unit.
    Picked up cheap tomatoes while I was out.
    Resisted buying plants marked down to 10p. Hopefully someone else will enjoy them!
    10th coin savings 2p
    Confessions:
    Have just worked out that saving p&p by buying said storage unit locally actually cost me, as I then paid full p&p on the cannisters instead of combining the 2 orders. Sigh.
    Let DH buy dinner, which was very nice (salmon) but costs more.

• Cherryfudge
    edited 15 July 2018 at 12:23AM
    Options
    A sad day today: our remaining guinea pig went into a decline and died this evening. He was at least six years old and I think it was sheer old age: he seemed his normal self till this morning. I did discuss taking him to the vet but I've seen this before and I knew that given his age it was a case of when not if, and decided the journey to the vets might be more trauma for him. So the day has been overshadowed by this.

Apart from this it's been a day of nice things. I decided I really needed to do something about my hair so I gave it a wash and trim. I can trim it myself as it's long but it hadn't been done for ages because I've not had the mobility. I had no problem today, evidence my arm is getting a wider range of movement. We had a takeaway for lunch then went out for a walk through beautiful woodland and stopped for coffee and a scone on the way home before visiting Mr Al in a nearby town. That has spent nearly all the food budget for the week - I think there is £1.61 left but I have a few things in for this coming week (soups, liver, sausages, tins of fruit etc.) which takes the strain off that budget.

The under-sink storage is assembled and just about fitted in. Much neater under there so it seems to have been the right move. I also got all the handwashing and the ironing up to date.

Spending:
    Housekeeping: £19.65
    Gift £5.00
    MS:
    Am down to seven coins in my purse so nothing towards the 10th coin savings.
    Found £1.05 when moving the washing machine :)
    Home made hair cut.
    Decluttering:
    Under sink is a lot more accessible.
    Haven't actually got this out of the house yet but asked DS2 to see if his animal-loving friend can use spare hay etc. from the guinea pig. Sad to have it around and I'm not getting any new animals this side of our big holiday.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport