BC3 Part L regulations

Hi All, bought a house (new build in 2014 ish) and it is fitted with those damn BC3 fittings which have a bulb cost of £15 entry level (absolutely disgusting).

Now, rewiring light fittings is super easy, literally they are labelled as L (brown) N (blue) and Earth symbol (green/yellow).

My issue is legal/insurance.

In the extremely unlikely event a house fire happens and they see I have changed all the BC3's to BC2's will my building insurance be void?

You are allowed to wire your own lights, by law, and I know how to do it properly.
Also Part L is energy conservation section of building regs - not safety in general or electrical safety.

Also researching BC3's were used to force energy saving bulbs, as there was a spate of BC2's being fitted with ES bulbs for the inspector, then swapped for incandescent bulbs.

Incandescent bulbs where then banned entirely and can no longer be purchased - yet they still fit BC3's.

4 bulbs have blown since I moved in (ES bulbs are dreadful they last 6 months max) which is a £60 cost.

As the bulbs last 6 months ish and I have 7 BC3 fittings I think, which is £105 every 6 months - bulbs are costing more than my cars servicing. The laws in this country are mind numbingly stupid. An extra prong on a bulb should not cost an extra £12-13 odd. It is a rip off as only ONE company makes BC3's and got government permission to be required by law. It is blatantly a monopolised money racket.

Anyone here know if I can change them without voiding my buildings insurance? I know I could ask them but

1. They'll just say no. They are useless, like all insurances.
2. It will be on my account I asked that Q so dont want to raise suspicion lol.

If it voids insurance I wont do it, but genuinely bulbs will be the priciest upkeep of my house - ridiculous.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't believe that any insurer gives a toss what light fittings you fit in your house providing they meet the relevant safety standards and are fitted by a competent person.

How would they know that the light fittings are not the original? You don't have to declare things to that granularity.
  • You'd be surprised lol. I will look through my paperwork as the itemised list did have quite some detail.

I know selling a House it by law has to have minimum 3 BC3 fittings. I will keep them in the loft and rewire them when it comes to selling them !!!55357;!!!56834;.

I agree so long as the fittings are safety compliant I should be covered - but my past experience of insurance companies as a whole has been dreadful.

Getting out of payments for typos on road name and having zero cover for written off vehicle that they agreed wasnt my fault but due to typo no money came my way.

Hate insurance companies - they use every trick in the book to not pay, so want to be 110% sure I can get rid of these fittings.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2018 at 10:48AM
    I know selling a House it by law has to have minimum 3 BC3 fittings. I will keep them in the loft and rewire them when it comes to selling them

The regulation was written in 2010 when BC3 was really the only option to achieve the savings demanded. The regulation does not state that they must be BC3.

Current standard low energy bulbs can now achieve the energy savings that BC3 does so can meet the requirements.

As even the IET forums say, the first thing that new owners will do is rip out expensive light fittings and fit the ones they want

Have a read of http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/2007/03/28/a-bright-idea/ it gives the reason for these 3 prong abominations.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In one of the more enlightened changes to building regulations. Since 2013 the domestic services compliance guide has said a standard light fitting with a low energy lamp that!!!8217;s a CFL or LED NOT A Halogen complies, 3 pin not required anymore.

Although all that is about a new build house, in your house you can fit what you like, LED is probably best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure