Universal JObmatch

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Thats what you pay NI contributions for isnt it to insure against being genuinely unemployed

No, you pay NI contributions because if you don't pay tax you get arrested.

Your NI contributions, which are income tax by another name, pay for benefits and pensions currently in payment. At the point you are claiming benefits or pensions they will be paid for by those currently in work. There is no National Insurance fund.
    It reminds me of all these high cost insurance policies you have to fork out every year and when you need to claim, you are refused payment on a small technicality

The payout rate for income protection and critical illness policies is well over 90% (99% for life insurance). Given that insurance fraud is endemic in this country, those percentages mean that if you haven't lied or tried to cut corners, insurance policies will pay out.
  • RedfordML
    RedfordML Posts: 892
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think 2 hours a day would be plenty. In a job and if I search for longer than that in an evening, it becomes sole destroying.

I think (if possible) time is better spent on exercise, going for a run (free) and getting mentally ready and improve personal confidence as being unemployed is not for everyone. Make sure its a productive 2 hours, 3 or 4 websites, note down everything and if you apply just add that to the original 2 hours.

Good luck.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    mattcanary wrote: »
    In what other area of life would the state (or a company) be allowed to get away with snooping on their customers, members of the public or employees?

Well apart from telecommunications, taxation, transport, health, industry, charitable activity, the environment, housing, finance, firearms, child protection, pets, food safety, and the coastguard, I can't think of any.

Of course that's just the state, if we include "snooping" by the likes of Facebook and Uber we could be here all day.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Well apart from telecommunications, taxation, transport, health, industry, charitable activity, the environment, housing, finance, firearms, child protection, pets, food safety, and the coastguard, I can't think of any.

Of course that's just the state, if we include "snooping" by the likes of Facebook and Uber we could be here all day.

Well this probably just has to be the most stupidist response i have Seen to any Mse post this year. It really just isnt worth argueing against:rotfl:
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Malthusian wrote: »

They don;t snoop in remotely the same way that advisers can if you allow them access to Universal Jobmatch.
    Do insurance companies snoop into what policyholders do on a daily basis, for example?
  • mattcanary
    RedfordML wrote: »
    I think 2 hours a day would be plenty. In a job and if I search for longer than that in an evening, it becomes sole destroying.

I think (if possible) time is better spent on exercise, going for a run (free) and getting mentally ready and improve personal confidence as being unemployed is not for everyone. Make sure its a productive 2 hours, 3 or 4 websites, note down everything and if you apply just add that to the original 2 hours.

Good luck.

Exactly. Being successful in finding work is far more dependant upon getting into the right state of mind, rather than spending 35 or 37 hours a week doing the same old thing and getting precisely nowhere. Pity the DWP aren't as sensible - well, I;m sure that many members of staff there think the same thing but they're not allowed to say it!
    It;s the members of staff that are the sticklers for daft rules that are the problem.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Im all for looking for work each day but i agree, 35 hours a week would not be realistic, as far as job search goes. What i would advocate is volunteering and helping your community and studying, that plus job search would take quite a few hours a week. Plenty things out there.

For the record, i went to JCP in 2015, i managed to get a job before my first appt, though i did attend my first appt to tell them i wont be returning. At no point was i told that i have to look for work for 35 hours. I've been on both sides of the table and that just does not happen unless they know you are taking the pi##
  • nmr1991
    nmr1991 Posts: 45 Forumite
    i used to give in paper evidence of my jobsearch, although my adviser is not at all strict and is quite empathetic to my situation, they insist that their bosses will start breathing down their necks if I don't use the UJM for logging jobs every day and they used to accept just 1 job per day, now they ask for 10 a day (which I do already on average) but requires so much work on my part. They didn't mind me having it on paper, its their boss the jobcentre manager that has to review its own staff and has to work to the budget set for the region. I knew the manager before this new IDS clone came in and screwed everything up by putting everyone onto universal credit - the manager before was also understanding of my situation gave me some work placements to see where I might fit in. Now the 'sanction' centre does nothing for me so I signed off my claim and currently on nothing atm.
  • DevilsMoJo
    DevilsMoJo Posts: 17 Forumite
    I notice the snake oil sales about volunteering and a positive attitude. Philip Green/Simon Cowell/David Beckham would love to make money from your hard work while paying nothing.
  • mattcanary
    edited 27 June 2017 at 5:01AM
    nmr1991 wrote: »
    i used to give in paper evidence of my jobsearch, although my adviser is not at all strict and is quite empathetic to my situation, they insist that their bosses will start breathing down their necks if I don't use the UJM for logging jobs every day and they used to accept just 1 job per day, now they ask for 10 a day (which I do already on average) but requires so much work on my part. They didn't mind me having it on paper, its their boss the jobcentre manager that has to review its own staff and has to work to the budget set for the region. I knew the manager before this new IDS clone came in and screwed everything up by putting everyone onto universal credit - the manager before was also understanding of my situation gave me some work placements to see where I might fit in. Now the 'sanction' centre does nothing for me so I signed off my claim and currently on nothing atm.

Hmm, that;s being passive aggressive.
    10 jobs a day, (70 a week) is just ridiculous. In my area, there are only about 180 jobs a day advertised on UJM, (many of which I am not qualified for / are part-time hours and perhaps 40 miles away).

When I last signed on about a month ago (which was also my first sign-on session since claiming), my adviser stated I didn;t have to apply for a specific number of jobs per day/per week and that I don't have to give permission to access my UJM account. That is claiming Universal Credit, not Jobseekers Allowance. Your adviser sounds a right !!!!.

If I were you, I would sign on again,, (if not back in work). Not pursuing benefits you are entitled to is what the government wants. They;ve won, if you do this - and why should you make yourself poorer than you need to be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure