Loan advice (high interest rate...)

Options

Comments

• ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm...I guess that would explain the leap from 8-16% within a couple of years when I increased my debt and consolidated.

I have a regular saver set up into which I pay £250/month which matures in March, it currently has about £1500 in. Perhaps I could use this to overpay...

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you're getting more than 17% on the regular saver, use it to over pay immediately.
  • ryanm8655
    Options
    So I woke up to a declined application from admiral...think I should probably wait a month until my credit file has updated...

Re: using savings to clear it sooner...My gf and I will be moving in together in March so this would wipe out my savings for a deposit etc. I know financially it makes sense in the long run but in the short term it reduces my liquidity...I will also need to buy a cheap car around then (I am currently carless) as I will no longer be living in London (I'm in a wheelchair so a car is pretty essential outside London). So my concern is that I will then have to dip into my overdraft in March.

Though if I do refinance the debt I think I will reduce the amount with savings as the reduction in repayments will have an impact monthly.

I think perhaps I need to do a proper budget, save as much as possible between now and March having done that budget, and revisit the situation then perhaps in terms of reducing it down...

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot borrow your way out of debt, just over pay by £200 a month and see where you are in a years time.

You won't get a better rate as the purpose will be for debt consolidation.
  • ryanm8655
    Options
    I see where you are coming from, but the fact that the rate is higher than the rate on my £5k overdraft, and most of the £9k available credit I have on cards I don't think it is crazy to think I can find a better rate. (I know it was a dumb decision to take the loan/rate at the time when it was worse than all of my various smaller bits of debt but at the time I was going through considerable mental strife and wasn't thinking clearly, I just wanted one payment so that I knew how much I had each month and that I would be debt free one day...)

Likewise my income has increased considerably since then too.

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ryanm8655 wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from, but the fact that the rate is higher than the rate on my £5k overdraft, and most of the £9k available credit I have on cards I don't think it is crazy to think I can find a better rate. (I know it was a dumb decision to take the loan/rate at the time when it was worse than all of my various smaller bits of debt but at the time I was going through considerable mental strife and wasn't thinking clearly, I just wanted one payment so that I knew how much I had each month and that I would be debt free one day...)

Likewise my income has increased considerably since then too.
    This is where you are going wrong.

You are not a good risk for a lender. You already have considerable debt, and you've tried to consolidate once before, which hasn't worked, only a year ago.

You are not going to be offered a low rate. You need to realise this.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    How much is your annual salary?

Problems I can see:

1. You have a loan for £13k and £9k available on credit cards and want to take out a further loan to clear the £13k. Unless you are earning circa £70k you will fail on affordability.

2. Being on the electoral roll does help, but it takes time to build up history and most companies like to see stability so at least 3 years minimum at one address/being on the ER.

3. It can take 1-3+ months for any information to be updated with the credit reference agencies. Let's say you closed down all your cards with the £9k available, it may still take up to 3 months for this to be shown on your credit reports. Don't forget you will need to check with all 3 (Experian, Equifax and Call Credit) to make sure they are all the same.

4. Lots of applications in a short period of time makes you look desperate and will definitely affect your credit history.

Solutions:

1. Close any unecessary accounts/credit cards which you aren't using.

2. Any savings accounts you have, use them to clear off the loan debt.

3. Don't make anymore applications.

4. In 3 months time pay £2 to Experian to check your credit report and sign up with Noddle and ClearScore to check monthly for free whether your accounts are showing as closed/electoral roll info appearing etc.
    5. Work out a budget and throw as much money as you can towards this loan debt and then perhaps in 6 months time check a loan eligibilty site whether your situation has improved because at the moment all you are doing is setting yourself back further and further with each application.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • ryanm8655
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Agree with the above approach. Seems sensible.

Disagree with the post saying that consolidation previously didn't work, my debt has gone down since then so it did work...but because the interest rate is so ridiculous a year of paying circa £320/month has only reduced the amount of debt by about £1k, everything else has been interest. Now I want to get rid of it more quickly and pay less interest overall, that is the reason for another loan, not because I need more cash. Not that I am saying you are wrong to say I won't get a better rate, perhaps I won't, but I don't think it's crazy to think I could...and if I am such a high risk why on earth do I keep getting money chucked at me (credit cards and overdraft limits get increased).

To be fair 12K was the amount to settle the loan about 3/4 months ago, it is probably a bit less now and I also have savings of about £1500 so a £10k loan would do it.

My gross income is about £46K.

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If your gross income is 46k, why are you not overpaing anyway? £320 is nothing a month out of that wage, you could have easily paid double, while you waited for a better deal.

Banks don't exist to be nice to people, they exist to make money, they are making lots of money off you, hence being chucked credit.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    My HSBC personal loan allowed unlimited repayments, but the total amount owing is not recalculated until you ask for a settlement figure.

You should increase your payments to the maximum possible by reducing your spend, and use your low interest savings to repay your high interest debt.

You can also continue to complain about the high APR, but do so in the knowledge that you're completely wasting your time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure