Finding the dating game so harsh!

Comments

• Guest101 wrote: »

Between work, social life and day to day - there must be hundreds of opportunities.

Take it, you've haven't worked in some time. I think I've said all of 1 sentence in two weeks. My voice is even going where I have not had to speak if I were comparing myself to previous jobs, I started to notice it more than ever at the 'last work experience' so now I do a job and go home engaged in saying as few words as possible.

If people did start talking at work, then they would not achieve targets in my current line of work so to think this is where relations form above all else is a bit out of date. As we also would wonder why anxiety is so high and on the rise. Funny that.

Do minimum wage workers get concessions on clubs? I'd bet not!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

You may do you know.
    I know our Council give concessions on Gym membership to anyone on benefits. So if you were getting Minimum Pay and then you got any sort of top-ups you may be entitled to something like that.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    To cut a very long story short I met a guy on a dating site last year, we had a wonderful few months then he almost became a different person overnight and messed me about for another few months until I finally decided I was worth more than the crumbs he was feeding me and ended it.

I joined Match on friends' advice and rejoined PoF. I don't know what's happened to online dating over the past year but boy, am I finding it harsh this time around! Men I find attractive and make contact with rarely reply, which makes me feel a bit rubbish. The two that did reply both asked me on dates, but one stood me up and the other blocked me before we finalised arrangements. Guys who contact me either abruptly disappear (presumably because they've had a better offer) or provisionally arrange dates then also disappear or just block me!

For instance, last Friday I'd agreed to go on a date on the Sunday. I asked if he had any suggestions for where to meet and offered one of my own. I turned my phone on the next morning to find he'd blocked me. I could understand if I'd said something offensive or was coming on strong, but I hadn't!

Am I just having a run of exceptionally bad luck or do others have this kind of experience?!

I don't know about match.com but POF and Tinder are just waste of time I must say so I gave up.

IF you are a lady, 32 or under then send me a PM :)
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Take it, you've haven't worked in some time. - ? I work full time. I think I've said all of 1 sentence in two weeks. - Is it the job, the people, what's stopping you making friends? My voice is even going where I have not had to speak if I were comparing myself to previous jobs, I started to notice it more than ever at the 'last work experience' so now I do a job and go home engaged in saying as few words as possible. - I think your situation isn't typical.

If people did start talking at work, then they would not achieve targets in my current line of work so to think this is where relations form above all else is a bit out of date. As we also would wonder why anxiety is so high and on the rise. Funny that. - If targets are so tight that you cant have 15 minutes for a chat, there's a problem with the company...

Concessions on what clubs?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Do you also handwash your clothes, travel by pony and cart, and use leeches to treat any medical ailments?

Sometimes new things come along, and people find them useful.

A bit rude? I wasn't putting down online dating.

The OP was talking about modern day dating, my point was that it doesn't have to be done online.
  • You could always give this a go...

MSE Lonely Hearts Club - Only the lonely

There's no subscription fees...for now anyway.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
  • UK0106
    UK0106 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my experience, the good looking men who make dates then don't show or make dates then block you or cease all contact are catfish. Silly, immature manboys who you shouldn't give a second thought to - they're not who you think they are.

If they look and sound too good to be true, they usually are.

I tend to avoid the overly beautiful men (except for perving on of course), the men with only 1 or 2 photos, the men who have their tops off in the majority of their photos or the men who have taken most of their photos in the gym.

If if doubt, do a reverse image search (google is your friend) and you can see where else the photos are used on the web.
  • UK0106 wrote: »
    In my experience, the good looking men who make dates then don't show or make dates then block you or cease all contact are catfish. Silly, immature manboys who you shouldn't give a second thought to - they're not who you think they are.

If they look and sound too good to be true, they usually are.

I tend to avoid the overly beautiful men (except for perving on of course), the men with only 1 or 2 photos, the men who have their tops off in the majority of their photos or the men who have taken most of their photos in the gym.

If if doubt, do a reverse image search (google is your friend) and you can see where else the photos are used on the web.

Why avoid men with only 2 pictures?

Men in general don't tend to be as picture/selfie crazy as women, so just because they don't put on loads of pictures doesn't mean the profile is fake.

As an example I don't think I have had one picture taken since April/May this year.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As an example I don't think I have had one picture taken since April/May this year.
    I don't have any pictures taken this year that I'm aware of. My female friends are forever posting selfies on facebook, me, no. I managed to spend a week in Rome in the spring and visit many of the famous sights, and not take a selfie outside any of them!

Anyway, looks like I'm scuppered for online dating if I want to try it!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • UK0106
    UK0106 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why avoid men with only 2 pictures?

Men in general don't tend to be as picture/selfie crazy as women, so just because they don't put on loads of pictures doesn't mean the profile is fake.

As I said, that's based on my experience. The profiles of attractive men with 2 or fewer photos almost always turn out to be catfish after a reverse image search. Remember that as a man, you're only seeing women's profiles so you won't really be aware of what other men's profiles look like. if you think that men aren't as picture crazy as women, you're wrong.

In my opinion, if you're going to take the time to put yourself on a dating site, you should be prepared to not only complete your profile properly but also to put multiple, recent photos of yourself on there. Again, that's in my opinion and I will personally avoid profiles that have either no photos, minimal photos or poor quality photos (e.g. shots so far away you can't see the person's face, blurred quality, etc.).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure