Time to grow up.

Comments

• Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Mums NEVER stop worrying! Ever!

I think she's just concerned that you'll step from one pile of debt to another...it's easily done - loads of posts on the other bit of the forum that start with 'I'm an idiot, I cleared my debt 3years ago, and now I have 10k debt again'...it's easily done, and I reckon she's worried that you'll borrow the £1200 from her because it's for a good reason, and then you might end up borrowing a grand (it's only a grand, right, and you can pay it off real quick anyway) for a holiday or new sofa or whatever, and then £200 for that trip to London becasue you've not had a break in ages etc etc....and it'll all mount up again very quickly.

And no, you weren't a tit, it's called being young and learning lessons about life...show me someone who hasn't made a dodgy relationship decision and I'll bet there's not many people stood on their side of the room compared to the rest of us on the 'what on earth did I see in them?' side of the room! :) What is important is that you've learned and don't let history repeat itself...something that sounds like you've got sorted as from what you've written in the past your OH sounds like a decent enough chap. :D

Good luck with your W3 hunt..it's hard to find stuff to fit around other jobs, but I'm sure something will come up soo enough.

(hopefully this post is slightly better in the 'letters in the right order' department comapred to my last post....I think my brain was working faster than my fingers!!)
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • Megano
    Megano Posts: 324 Forumite
    EPIC NEWS!

[A few weeks ago I sent a letter to TSB about them selling me an added value account which I had for over a year explaining I feel it was mis-sold as it had all these benefits like breakdown cover and home emergency. (As you guys know I cant drive and OH and I rent)
    FINALLY got a letter back saying they agreed with me and have credited my account with a tidy sum of £305.92
    :j:beer::j:beer::j:beer::j:beer:
    Attempted to phone them to reduce it by £150 (to give OH and I some breathing space as we both get paid next week) annnd they are shut. (honestly are they ever open when I try to call. I feel like I could work for them at this rate. Oh wait I did! ;))

With this little Brucie Bonus it means I can clear off a whooping 10% off my debt this month so even with the London trip I'm well on target to clear everything!

London is going to get sick of me this year. OH and I have decided instead of going to Paris like originally planned we are going to go FULL tourist in London in the summer for his birthday. Do the eye, see a show, go to the zoo and my BB is asking me to go with him in October. The hotel BB and I stayed in was cheap and cheerful enough and if we book our tickets I'll be able to avoid the 19 hour return journey by bus.

Im so bloody happy
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
    Total £8.36/£8231.79 0.101%
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know whether or not it would be too late, but if you can do check out Covent Garden Travelodge. The location is amazing and its clean, comfortable and has en suite bathroom, coffee/tea and a TV. If you can book far enough in advance you can get it from around £33/night - I use it twice a year for a family trip and a girls trip and wouldn't go anywhere else - admittedly we do normally book as much as 10-11 months in advance but its still worth a shot.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Megano
    So after yesterdays Brucie Bonus I have managed to pay off £200 to the good old OD and with that payment it means I've paid over 1/3rd of my total debt off (is that a trumpet I hear?)

:j:T:j:T:j:T

Little bit annoyed however as I'm phoning TSB pretty much every week making some sort of payment to them and today they were asking how much I earned every month, sources of income if I have any children and I'm like I'm not applying for credit I'm wanting to pay YOU back! Like what will it be the next time I call? What's my blood type? Am I more of a cat or dog person?
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Megano
    Brace yourself people (honestly its not that bad.) *until paragraph 2 then I would look away*
    Was in the process of getting a little plastic happy again. Started off booking a hotel for OH and I London trip in August. Then I popped on my mum's birthday present onto the credit card. Kindof needed to give myself a good talking to - some folk would say the start of a slippery slope I'm saying its called living. Im throwing SO much at the overdraft its nice just to be rebellious once in a while
    I REALLY want to get my hair properly done (at a college with a trainee hairdresser) but because I want to dye it pink and purple they are quoting me £110 :eek::eek::eek: Part of me is like cool lets do it. I don't go out, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't buy myself clothes or make up so yeah why not? and then another part of me is freaking out. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Need to get get back on track work 2 wise. Because its a 0 hour contract Im finding myself not volunteering for shifts that Im able to do and again if you don't do the work you don't get the money.

Moral of the story. Firm grip is required.
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Hi if it were me I would think how much will that hair colour cost to maintain re top up dyes etc? Bet it would rock though.:beer:
  • Willowpop
    Debt-free and Proud!
    As lovely as your hairdo sounds, keep the money and put it towards the London trip.

I'm guessing you'll be travelling to London by train? Have a look on sites like trainline or red spotted hanky where you can search for the best fares, sometimes a train an hour earlier is miles cheaper or the slightly later train may me cheaper. .I don't just mean rush hour or off peak, a 12.30 train might be cheaper that the 13.15 for example. Also, think about a rail card...there's a 2 together card and it may save you a fortune even if you guys only use it for this on trip. On the train ticket site, do a search for fares and then search all the same details but tick the box to say you have a rail card, and choose the appropriate one. See what the fare difference is. Then see how much the rail card is. Then get a railcard if it's worth it for the saving on the fare. Sometimes the savings can be huge.

Well done on paying so much off your debt btw. It'll be gone before you know it. x
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
  • Yes, the hair will cost to maintain. Also, some workplaces don't want 'extreme' colours. You might want to check this point in advance, just in case.

Trains. Avoid The Trainline - they add booking fees to the cost of the fare. Go to https://www.nationalrail.co.uk , do a search and that will show you the relevant train operating company. Book tickets there.
  • Willowpop
    Debt-free and Proud!

Trains. Avoid The Trainline - they add booking fees to the cost of the fare. Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk , do a search and that will show you the relevant train operating company. Book tickets there.

Yep, definitely don't *book* through the trainline or similar sites that add booking fees, book direct, but I find them quicker for checking fares if I'm not sure which operating companies do the route I want..if it's just a fare check as to how a rail card will save you money then I feel quickest is trainline etc, but like justaboutthere rightly says, then book direct with the train operating company.:)
  • Megano
    Got the shock of my life when I opened my credit card statement and its at £800 odds :eek::eek::eek: (wait haven't we been here before?) but its okay its good as I realise that my hotel for the London trip, my mum's birthday present plus the direct debit hasn't been taken this month which includes my last London trip so its good, clearly not great but its good I'm still well on track for clearing everything off come December!
    I received a letter from the PPI place saying I wasn't paying any so no extra pennies for Megano. (wouldn't it be nice if they were like oh Megano yes you are owed £2070 oh that just so happens to be the amount of your overdraft and what you owe HMRC? Imagion that!)
    Im offically back on the "lets get rid of this debt" train. Im working everyday for the next two weeks at W2 (honestly which is a massive difference because last month I was worked a total of 5 shifts :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:) My NPS is good so come July I should hopefully be getting a bonus (talk about counting chickens again!)
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts