MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 March 2013 at 1:16PM in Boost your income
This thread is specifically to discuss feedback on

Lois Jewellery
(
Link)

For a step-by-step guide to flogging old jewellery, see Sell Your Gold.

If you've used this company, please can you tell us the following...
  • When did you use it?
  • What did you send it?
  • How much did it promise you?
  • How much did it deliver?
  • How efficient was the service?
  • If it didn't deliver the full amount, what was its reason?
  • Anything else other people should know?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thank you for your help

Important note for representatives of gold companies

We will be monitoring the threads, and if we believe any company has got its own representatives to deliberately post positive feedback (or negative on its competitors) it will be deleted, and we will count that as negatively towards any company's reliability and trustworthiness.

[signupbox]test[/signupbox]

Comments

• dave_uk_4
    dave_uk_4 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2009 at 5:56PM
    Options
    I buy gold to raise funds for our local childrens hospice. I was told about Lois Jewellery who is a refiner by a local jeweller who turns over a vast amount of scrap. I have used them several times since and they have always paid out the rates they advertise. They will send you cash if you ask too. I made one mistake and enclosed a non gold earing once and they even sent that back to me. Many of the local jewellers in our town use this company which is not an here today gone tomorrow company having been around a generation. Another thing that gave me confidence is that they have a trade counter where you can visit to sell your gold (in Birmingham). I recently lost £2500 worth of gold in the post as have many others (mine went 'missing' in the Birmingham Mail Centre) so I will be taking all my gold to Lois personally in future.
    ps: Sending bags with Gold written all over it through the post is a little silly.
  • Saoirse
    Saoirse Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Lois has got to be the best place in Birmingham to sell gold. Most of the shops in the jewellery quarter who buy scrap gold will sell it to Lois or another trade-only bullion dealers who pay pennies more than Lois. So you might as well go straight there as they buy from the public as well as the trade.
    A while ago my aunt sold jewellery to Rex Johnson (who sell to the bullion dealers I mentioned) and was given £4 per gram for 9ct gold, at the time Lois were paying £6.90 per gram.
    If you live in Birmingham, or nearby, Lois is probably your best bet for selling scrap jewellery.
  • titus4103
    Options
    I used Lois in September this year and they provided an excellent service.
    I posted my gold using royal mail special delivery service and the day after posting i received a phone call offering me the price they had quoted online for that day and within half an hour of me accepting, the money was paid into my bank account.
  • Chrissie123
    Options
    I have used Lois Jewellery 3 times - each and every time the service has been excellent - I got exacely what I expected after using their gold calculator - and it is the highest payout to non-trade companies. So far I have only seen Bairds paying more - but you have to be trade! The service is 100% efficient, friendly and HONEST - it is a definite WYSIWYG site. If the price alters and goes up on the day your items arrive - you get the higher price - not the price on the day you sent it.

I was made redundant with a year to go for retirement - no other job prospects - I needed something to bring in an income - so started buying and selling gold on eBay around 4 months ago.

I usually send in necklaces and bracelets to Lois - either curb bracelets or charm bracelets that I have purchased in order to get the charms I want - and scrap the rest - its the cheapest method of building a large charm bracelet. I buy at scrap price or less on eBay - and sell at an increased scrap price around 4 weeks later because gold has gone up - so my now 6.5oz charm bracelet has in fact cost me less than £500. Gold has increased £1.20 per gram since I started & 184grams at today's prices is worth over £1,500 scrap price - that's over £1,000 I've saved. My husband's birthday bracelet (gold) cost me nothing after 3 weeks trading like this and his Xmas prezzie is costing me the same - all thanks to the increasing price of gold and Lois Jewellery's up-front WYSIWYG service.

I have no connection with the company whatsoever - apart from becoming a regular customer. I thoroughly recommend Lois Jewellery - unlike Goldmate.com - who appear to offer £8.14 per gram - but actually sent me a cheque worth £3.95 per gram - it took 2 days of arguing to get my gold back - they evenually offered me another £100 - still around £2.00 per gram below market price - and I had to pay £37 in order to get it back!

There you have it - the best and worst companies in my very humble opinion.
  • nexuss
    nexuss Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    3 first posters praising what a coincidence :)
  • Chrissie123
    Options
    Why a coincidence? An honest company is going to get good feedback. I will be very surprised to see a bad feedback for this company. :j
  • seuss
    Options
    I recently started work for a small company that amongst other things buys scrap gold and the boss swears by the service he recieves from Lois.
    He wont send our scrap anywhere else and so far (touch wood) nothing has been mislaid in the post en-route to them, and they always pay up on time.
  • mrfixitwhite
    mrfixitwhite Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 3 February 2010 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Used Lois to sell our old jewellery 2 weeks ago.
    Very prompt service - they rung to say they had recieved the jewellery and exactly how much it was worth and that a cheque would be posted that night.
    Very impressed as other companys offered MUCH less !

Would also say that they have an online estimation based on the weight of your gold
    we weighed ours with the kitchen scales-only does 5gram increments- but that was the weight they paid me for:)
  • Noelled
    Options
    Very professional service would recommend. Paid as quoted on web site. This is my first time using the service and i will use again. Staff are helpful and polite. Service is fast with return around
  • Notebook
    Notebook Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weighed gold on kitchen electronic scales and it should be worth £205 according to their live advertised rate on the site.
    Sent it off ticking the contact me on the form you send with it.
    Sent wed for next day delivery - had a call off them saying received weighed and worth £203. Said ok.
    Received a cheque the next day - friday morning.
    happy or what!!!! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport