Complete debt picture...

Evening guys! After some time ignoring my debts (resulting in 2 new CCJs :mad:), I have decided its time to sort them out! :A
So far I have managed to account for nine debts, through signing up to the MSE Credit Club, Clearscore, and by actually opening :eek: and responding to :T some letters.
There are some debts I've identified that I cannot see on my credit file, but there are none on my file that I don't know about. I've been doing it for a couple of months now, so I think I have got everything that is coming in letter form.

So I am wondering if there is a way I go about finding exactly what debts I owe?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

If some of your old accounts no longer show on your credit file it means they are over six years old.

Data is not held longer than this normally,

That would also mean they would most likely be statute barred, so if anyone writes to you about one of these debts, you should respond with the statute barred letter available from the National Debtline website.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Let's assume you've got them all now, and if you post a statement of affairs we should be able to offer some constructive advice.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

When you say 'responding to some letters' how did you respond?
  • WinstonTown
    WinstonTown Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    By writing to them and offering a payment plan - all of them accepted a payment of £1 for now :)

I've done an I&E form, based on the Step Change guidelines, which shows me as having a surplus of just £24 but I think I can free up some more money by being really careful. I just want to make sure that I have included everything.
    I didn't realise that some debts become statute barred after a certain time - I assume these will show on my file somewhere, so I will toddle off and look again! Thanks for the letter link!

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Yes, and debts are statute barred if there was ever a period of six years in which you did not acknowledge the debt by payment or in writing - so have a close look at those you are paying £1 per month to. Does that apply to any of them?

If you need a complete history of the account you ask for a Subject Access Request - these are free from last Friday and I note the ICO has updated its page:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

Please post a statement of affairs for us here, using my previous link. Token offers are a terrible strategy and should only be used short-term until you can put something better in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure