Anyone used the Shpock app?

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still doing surprisingly well on SHpock but am finding an increase in the number of people wanting an item delivered. I had a brilliant one the other day, my postcode is clearly shown and someone messaged me to say that would be happy to pay my full asking price if I could deliver next time I was out in my car. I took that to mean they were local and believing it might just be possible I asked where they lived . It transpires it is nearly 30 miles away and the other side of London so would mean me paying the congestion charge ! The worst thing is the item is listed at £5.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skimp_jo80 wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be better to contact people just by email? This seems like a good way to keep it private..

Why, it has a built in mechanism for sending messages. Buyers can send public messages on your item listing which is visible to everyone and sellers can publicly respond. Buyers can also send a private message along with an offer, which sellers can counter offer along with a private message of their own. Once a price has been agreed and confirmed, you can continue to send private messages freely. I try to keep all messages in private chat where possible.
  • Damo6
    Damo6 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    very poor company to deal with, they let sellers advertise falsely while buyers are left empty pocketed, i recently bought from a guy on there an iphone and he advertised it as fully working nothing wrong with it to later have major screen issues, after a couple hours of getting it the screen started to play up acting on its own and acting crazy the more time went on the worse it got to the point i could no longer use the handset, i tried to resolve with the seller who refused anything was wrong with it tried to blame it on me that i did witch was not right at all, i later found out it had water damage by a phone repair shop, this was not advertised and the seller i believe knew about this and tried to hide it with a screen replacement as the phone looked brand new, he has refused any kind of option to resolve this i have come up with and has been very unfair in going about resolving it this has forced me to complaint to shpock, i have reported this seller 3 times now to them, i was told they would restrict his account within X amount of days witch it wasnt and this buyer is still allowed to sell on there site despite what hes done, clearly shpock have no intentions of working with em to solve this or deal with the seller and allow him to continue to sell, im now being ignored by both parts and forced in to court action, i would stay well away from this company as you may end up in the same position as me at a huge cost and a loss, hopefully i will get it all back in court, but its not worth the risk using this company to buy goods from the company will just neglect the matter and allow con artists to sell faulty goods under miss leading advertisements, this also effected my mental health conditions having to deal with all this, really is not worth the hassle using this shady company along with its shady sellers who are on there its highly unprofessional for the company to allow this to happen.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You reported the seller 3 for the same sale? I doubt they would tell you outright they were going to suspend someones account. Especially if your the only person reporting them.

Looking at is from their side, you bought a phone and it worked, so you paid and went away. It later stopped working. So was it faulty when purchased or did you damage it?

Your not buying good from that company as you put it and how did they allow it to happen?
    You could have bought it from any advert, you went to inspect the item and thought it all good so handed over the money i assume.

What service would have prevented that??

"Shady company".... oh dear.

Get mommy to tuck you in extra tight tonight, i have a bed coat you can have with some nice long sleeves that tie up at the back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    Options
    Shpock is only an app based marketplace, a bit like buying from strangers on facebook selling pages. It has no buyer or seller guarantee, it states it just puts potential buyers and sellers in touch with each other. Therefore as with any sale with a stranger you must take all normal precautions .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I like the app sold and bought a few things on there. I do get some people quite far away but I just accept PayPal and post. Did have some numpty expect me to deliver a 10 pound pair of shoes 200 miles away
  • peterC_2
    Options
    Not worth the grief, Ads left up after being sold for over a year, they care more about perception than the users
    Dare to give a bad review for a user who fails to honour a sale gets YOU suspended, they get extra stars
    As I said its all about perception not genuine users
    From reading the comments on mse and my own contact with them, seems they regularly remove bad reviews to hide peoples bad experience
  • soolin
    Options
    peterC wrote: »
    Not worth the grief, Ads left up after being sold for over a year, they care more about perception than the users
    Dare to give a bad review for a user who fails to honour a sale gets YOU suspended, they get extra stars
    From reading the comments on mse and my own contact with them, seems they regularly remove bad reviews to hide peoples bad experience

I have successfully left bad reviews for buyers who messed me around, they are all still there and visible , I regularly come across poor reviews for both buyers and sellers as well. A friend of mine who sold something and then refused to lower the price after buyer turned up to collect got a bad rating saying seller refused to sell , but she did get that removed when she appealed and explained the situation. In that case her 1 star was changed to 5 and a lot of the other poor feedback left by the buyer disappeared as well.

As a seller I like knowing I have some protection against malicious buyers, but I suspect it is based partly on buyer/seller history .

I still do very well on there.

Incidentally, items unsold are removed after a certain period, sellers get a warning message saying they have xx amount of days before there item is de listed. I thought it was 6 months but it may well be a year.
  • peterC_2
    peterC_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 September 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    From reading the comments on mse and my own history with them, seems they regularly remove bad reviews to hide peoples bad experience
    Seems like their customer "support" team spend all day creating bogus accounts with non existing items to mislead the public into thinking they have more users and selling good stuff too
  • peterC_2
    peterC_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 23 September 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Does anyone find more than 2% of the adds on shpock are current and the seller is not just messing around? .. That's my experience
    Over 50% of the adds (that are within a week old) that I have offered full price on the sellers have not responded

That coupled with appalling customer service I have decided it is a frustrating waste of time, gumtree is far better IMHO

P S: uk.trustpilot.com/review/shpock.com rates them as 2.8 out of 10
    with 66% of users giving them one star
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport