Please can someone advice me

My partner drives a lot of miles in his own car per week to work and his employer only pays 22p per mile when I’m aware that you are entitled to 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles and 25p per mile for more than 10,000 miles. Does anyone know how we go about claiming back the remaining 23p or 3p per mile that he is entitled too or are we only entitled to the tax back from the remaining pence that he is entitled too?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    his employer only pays 22p per mile when I!!!8217;m aware that you are entitled to 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles and 25p per mile for more than 10,000 miles.

Those rates are the tax allowance. Not what the employer is required to pay. Only the difference can be declared on the tax return (or by notifying HMRC each year if he doesnt get a tax return)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • So in terms of the difference that you can declare say the difference between what his employer has paid to what else he is owed, is it just the tax that you get back from the difference or the difference between what has been paid and what is owed? Thanks
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is your partner driving to a fixed place of work, or does he drive to various different places as part of his work? This can make a difference to whether or not he is entitled to Tax Relief.

If he is entitled to tax relief on his mileage he claims tax relief on the difference between what his employer pays him and the max allowable amount. So assuming he is a basic rate tax payer he will get 20% relief on the difference between 45p & 22p = 23p x 20%. So for each work mile he drives where the employer pays him 22p he will save 4.6p in tax. HMRC do not give him 23p per work mile.

NB he is not "owed" 45p per work mile by his employer as dunstonh has already said, the employer does not have to pay anything at all if they did not want to (though they probably would lose people if they refused to pay anything)
  • princess23
    princess23 Posts: 103
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am confused my DH now gets 28p per mile flat rate despite him in the past getting 45p per mile for first 10,000 then lowering to 25p for anything over this he also uses his own vehicle .
    It states on the Gov.UK site that the rate for cars and vans is what he used to get so how does he claim the difference. He travels minimum of 20,000 miles per year. Considering the money should pay for MOT, Servicing, Insurance and Repairs 28p wont go far!!!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    princess23 wrote: »
    I am confused my DH now gets 28p per mile flat rate despite him in the past getting 45p per mile for first 10,000 then lowering to 25p for anything over this he also uses his own vehicle .
    It states on the Gov.UK site that the rate for cars and vans is what he used to get so how does he claim the difference. He travels minimum of 20,000 miles per year. Considering the money should pay for MOT, Servicing, Insurance and Repairs 28p wont go far!!!

I am involved with a sport where we do various miles at the weekend voluntarily and we only get 24/25p a mile lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure