Paying £2880 into pension when retired

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:41AM
    hogweed wrote: »
    Thanks – well, I can afford one year’s investment, so say £15k or so. And I’m pretty sure, having investigated further, I have no “back tax” allowance, so that simplifies things.

I’ll talk to HL tomorrow. Originally I assumed they wouldn’t want to give advice, but I now think this kind of “technical” advice (ie what you can do and what you can’t) is OK to ask for.

But do you think my calculations are correct for this tax year:

“Basically, my Gross per annum is £16,099; pension contributions £95.25/month, so £1143pa; so I figure my maximum investment would be £14956…?”

I’ll leave you all alone after this I think!
    Does £95.25/ month include employers contribution? Ask HL to confirm your calculations. Easy to get confused and I suggest you ask them to confirm discussion in an e mail.
    If you hope to arrange the SIPP for 2016-17 tax year you need to act quickly.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • hogweed
    hogweed Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    Does £95.25/ month include employers contribution? Ask HL to confirm your calculations. Easy to get confused and I suggest you ask them to confirm discussion in an e mail.

No, it doesn't. Employer's contribution is £191.85... as you say, I'll talk to HL this afternoon, and hopefully they'll keep me right, but it looks like:

Gross 16099
    minus my pension contributions 1143
    minus employer's contributions 2302
    = 12654?

So is £12654 the maximum I can invest then, meaning an actual investment of £10123 I think, with the government adding back £2530…?
    If you hope to arrange the SIPP for 2016-17 tax year you need to act quickly.

I know! That's why I'm panicking, having only just found out about all this...
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gross 16099
    = 12654?

So is £12654 the maximum I can invest then?

No, because what matters isn't what went into the pension but instead the increase in value of it. You'll have to ask the pension scheme for that figure, stressing the urgency.
    And I’m pretty sure, having investigated further, I have no “back tax” allowance

How do you know?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • hogweed
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    No, because what matters isn't what went into the pension but instead the increase in value of it. You'll have to ask the pension scheme for that figure, stressing the urgency.

Ah... urgency... NHS... :mad:

But thanks
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    How do you know?

Well, I don't of course, but I don't like to take this entire forum up with constant questions, so at some point I have to say "I think I understand this..."

But my pensions contributions (and those from the NHS) have always been fixed... whether that leaves a gap between what they are and what they might be, God knows.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    No, it doesn't. Employer's contribution is £191.85... as you say, I'll talk to HL this afternoon, and hopefully they'll keep me right, but it looks like:

Gross 16099
    = 12654?

So is £12654 the maximum I can invest then, meaning an actual investment of £10123 I think, with the government adding back £2530…?

I know! That's why I'm panicking, having only just found out about all this...

There is slim chance NHS will supply the required info in time & HL can only work with the information you are able to provide.

If I were you, I would go with a little less than your best estimate (say £12,000) and open your SIPP today.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • hogweed
    If I were you, I would go with a little less than your best estimate (say £12,000) and open your SIPP today.

Done thanks. Pity people like you don't work for HL - I have to say my experience with them was different than that of others here... the 2 guys I spoke to knew absolutely nothing about anything, and always had to "refer to a colleague", or keep reading me the same blurb off a script, no matter how many times I said "I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means".

Anyway, thanks again - I figure by going below the limit as you suggested, I should be OK, pending the NHS Pensions Department sending me accurate information in geological time... sooner or later, I think, you have to just say sod it and do it :rotfl:
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:25PM
    Anyway, thanks again - I figure by going below the limit as you suggested, I should be OK, pending the NHS Pensions Department sending me accurate information in geological time... sooner or later, I think, you have to just say sod it and do it :rotfl:
    I'm not quite sure why you are doing this extra (pretty meaningless) calculation of what your salary was and taking off what your employer paid and then going below the resulting limit for a few hundred quid to be marginally more cautious, pending finding out what your NHS pension value calc actually is which will be an entirely different number.

It's true that the employer contributions are not valued at cash cost to the employer but the value of the pension benefits you earned by working for them over the last year, which can be drastically different particularly if for example you got a pay rise.

Either you should

1) be super cautious and presume the NHS's contributions for this year are valued at £40k so you're already at the annual limit and not make any further contributions. Or,

2) you could be less prudent and say: OK the value of my DB pension benefit increase this year is probably less than £24k. Because for example, at the start of the year my pension was worth my old annual salary of £15k x 28/60ths as an annual income, times the arbitrary factor of 16 to value an annual DB income as one big pot of value for pension limits purposes... which is £112k. And then at the end of the year my pension is worth my current annual salary of £16k x 29/60ths, times the arbitrary 16 again to turn the annual income into a big pot of value, which is £124k. So, even before taking off the allowable inflation factor which you're allowed to take off but you could ignore to be cautious, my pension has only ticked up in value by £12k (124 today vs 112 a year ago). So even if I had a bigger pay rise and longer service, and the value increase was double that, it's still only £24k.

So, if my total compensation from work this year was £16k of salary and (up to, say) £24k of pension directly provided by my employer, for a total compensation from my employer for my services this year of £40k... and only £24k of the £40k is so far sitting as value in the pension, I can contribute all my remaining salary earnings of £15-16k into a pension too, getting relief, without going over the £40k total and without getting relief on more than all of my actual gross salary.

I'm not sure what is to be gained by saying hmm, I'd better knock off my employer's cash costs of £2302 from that number, which I know are completely irrelevant to the value of the DB pension I've earned, and then another few hundred quid as well just in case.

Perhaps I'm missing something fundamental about DB/FS pensions and how they are treated for the annual limits. Which might be the case because I don't have one. :)
  • meantime
    meantime Posts: 59 Forumite
    Would there still be time to do this and withdraw the contribution, if not the top up, in the current tax year? I'm expecting the answer to be either "no" or "depends which provider you choose".
  • hogweed
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why you are doing this extra (pretty meaningless) calculation of what your salary was and taking off what your employer paid and then going below the resulting limit for a few hundred quid to be marginally more cautious, pending finding out what your NHS pension value calc actually is which will be an entirely different number.

Hi, sorry I haven't responded before now but life is extremely stressful at the moment. Fact is, despite being moderately intelligent, I have absolutely no knowledge of all this stuff, and I have to try and pick through what you guys are trying to say to me.

I used to fix computers for a living, and would try to explain quite rudimentary things to my customers – things which, to me, are as wonderfully simple and logical as 2+2=4. And I flatter myself that I’m a natural teacher… and yet I could see them feeling physically ill as they tried to get their heads around it.

And it’s the same here, but the other way round – you’re talking Japanese, and I don’t speak it. So eventually, with all the other stresses in my life at the moment (considerable), I had to cut off at some point and decide “This is what I shall do”, or I'd go mad.

So, for better or worse, I have.

Your help has been enormously appreciated :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback