IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN with company car - need to pay now to keep company out of it?

Hiya,

My boyfriend and I parked at an RCP Parking car park on Saturday afternoon. We wanted to stay until noon Sunday. The signs were pretty confusing. It said that the car park was 24 hours but open 06:00 to 24:00. Charges were: £4.50 for up to 5 hours, £8 for 5 hours+ or £3 all day Sunday. The signs also informed us that "all day tickets expire at 23:59 although "you may remain until 08:00 on this ticket - if you wish to remain longer please purchase a further hourly or all day ticket and display both on your windscreen". The signs advised that we could pay using the RCP mobile app.

Using the app we paid £8 for 5 hours+ at approx 5pm. Then at approx 2am we paid for a further 5 hours (on the basis that we could stay until 8am with the first ticket so an additional 5 hours would take us to 12:59 on Sunday. (We couldnt pay £3 all day parking for Sunday using the app).

We recieved a PCN at 11:57 on the Sunday. I wondered whether the additional 5 hours we had paid for started from 6am and ran out at 10:59. However, the reason on the PCN is "parking without displaying a valid ticket". So it may be that there was an issue with the mobile app.

I would like to challenge the ticket, however, the car is my boyfriend's company car. He does not want his company to get wind of the ticket. If we write to RCP Parking to appeal the ticket and confirming that "we" parked there on Sunday, will this mean that the company are not involved at all? Or is the only way to be sure they aren't involved to pay up?

Also, I know that there is risk any appeal could be unsuccessful. I would rather pay £50 than £100 if we have to. If we pay up now (at £50 rather than £100) and then challenge, is it highly unlikely we would ever get our money back?

Thanks in anticipation of assistance.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, don't even think about paying a penny because you will never see it again!

Instead, this is where you make your own challenge/appeal - The PPC can't come back to the company after you identify yourselves to them.

Start by reading the Newbies Sticky in this forum carefully. It outlines your situation and options to proceed with from now and covers the company car aspect as well. :)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As above, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then appeal as keeper (on the day in question) using the BPA template in blue you will find there. The keeper may or may not be the owner or registered keeper for this purpose.

As it is not a fine or a penalty, just a speculative invoice, there should be no problem with your boyfriend telling his employer that he is dealing with this and they do not need to take any action.

Do not reveal who was driving under any circumstances. Do not edit the template, just copy and paste and send.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would like to challenge the ticket, however, the car is my boyfriend's company car. He does not want his company to get wind of the ticket.

If we write to RCP Parking to appeal the ticket and confirming that "we" parked there on Sunday, will this mean that the company are not involved at all? Or is the only way to be sure they aren't involved to pay up?
    Yes, the lessee/day to day keeper of the car sends the appeal shown in the NEWBIES READ THESE FAQS FIRST sticky thread. That takes the company out of the equation completely and RCP won't be allowed to get data from the DVLA as RCP will assume they are dealing with the driver and will reply to the appeal (probably rejecting it but who cares).

Don't tell them who was driving, though! All explained in the NEWBIES thread.

I know that there is risk any appeal could be unsuccessful. I would rather pay £50 than £100 if we have to. If we pay up now (at £50 rather than £100) and then challenge, is it highly unlikely we would ever get our money back?
    You can't appeal after paying (except with ParkingEye, strangely).

DO NOT PAY! IT IS NOT A FINE. WHY DOES ANYONE PAY THIS SORT OF FAKE CHARGE?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake wrote: »

Do not reveal who was driving under any circumstances. Do not edit the template, just copy and paste and send.

Should I not mention the fact that we had paid for parking using the app and suggest that they check their records in this regard?
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Should I not mention the fact that we had paid for parking using the app and suggest that they check their records in this regard?

No! You may give away the driver's details by doing that. You could say that parking was paid for, here is the proof (if you have it), but asking them to check anything will result in them saying, we can find no evidence of payment.

You are not dealing with reasonable people so please re-read the NEWBIES thread to understand why it is so important to follow the script and use the BPA template in blue that makes no mention of the driver's identity.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    In your appeal, add an extra point:

x) The driver of the vehicle confirms that parking was paid for using the app, as advised by the signage on site, and appropriate payment was made in consideration of the terms identified on the signage. As such:

i) payment was made at 5pm via the app for 8 hours parking. Per the signage this should have allowed for parking until 8am the following morning.
    ii) payment was further made at 2am via the app for a further 5 hours parking. This additional payment should have covered parking up until 1pm

Since parking was paid for in compliance with the terms on the signage on site, and your payment records should confirm this, then the PCN has no foundation and must be cancelled.
  • Coupon-mad
    Do exactly as instructed by DoaM if you add anything - do not write your own version. It is so easy for newbies to accidentally imply who as driving.
  • Thanks everyone. The parking charge notice has been cancelled. Woohoo! Must have been an issue with their mobile app / parking attendant getting a bit giddy and forgetting people can now pay by app.
  • Coupon-mad
    Great result but be aware it's not about the attendant being a bit 'giddy'. These scumpanies will serve a PCN on any old jumped up excuse because their agenda is not parking management but purely, money.

A National Scandal that this is allowed with demands from scummy firms for £100 flying around car parks like confetti.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure