cheapest LLM by distance learning?

perhaps a strange post but i've been looking at the various prices which differ by an extremely large amount.

i'm quite indifferent into the university's location (anywhere in the UK - it won't matter as it'll be distance learning), and the subject isn't too important.

anyone have any actually dealings with any of the courses / recommend any / comments regarding value for money, etc, etc.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You don't care about the subject? Yet your heading is LLM, which is a Masters degree in Law?

I think you need to decide what you want to study, and why, and then look for a good university. And I must say that the quality of the teaching materials and the reputation of the university make a huge difference to the value of the course. In this situation, looking for the cheapest and buying on price alone does not make sense.
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    You don't care about the subject? Yet your heading is LLM, which is a Masters degree in Law?

I think you need to decide what you want to study, and why, and then look for a good university. And I must say that the quality of the teaching materials and the reputation of the university make a huge difference to the value of the course. In this situation, looking for the cheapest and buying on price alone does not make sense.

Thanks for the reply.

There isn't too much choice when it comes to LLMs by distance learning - so am considering everything (except the more obscure courses) at the moment.

My main consideration is value for money. I'll explain:

The price alone isn't the only consideration but here's some examples:
    • LLM (distance learning) at Edinburgh University - £11,800
    • LLM in IT and Telecommunications Law (distance learning) at Glasgow Graduate School Of Law - £5510 (£2755 x 2 years)
    • Obscure LLMs by distance learning (Petroleum Law and Policy / Mineral Law and Policy / Resources Law and Policy) at Dundee University £9,950 (over 2 to 5 years)
    • LLM in Employment Law & Practice or Construction Law & Arbitration at Robert Gordon University - £7712 (over 3 years) (Oil & Gas Law - £8,145)
    • LLM International Business Law (Distance Learning) at Aberdeen University - £3,360 (i think)
    • LLM Computer and Communication Law (Distance Learning) at Queen Mary, University of London - £8,500
    • LLM in European Union Law or in Employment Law (both by Distance Learning) at University Of Leicester £6,995 or £6,450 respectively
    And that's just a random selection but it shows the massive difference in the price of the courses. Although i take the point regarding the quality of teaching and the reputation - but if anyone else has had any experience with LLM courses (there must be someone on the board) i'd appreciate their input too.
  • LLM OF UCL about 6000
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dont forget to take into account the cost of getting to compulsory residentials.

I am vaguely looking for an LLM Employment Law - Staffs and UCL came in cheapest. Staffs was very poor at responding to contact, UCL much better, and you can access some of the materials on line to get an idea.

I did a DL Msc with Sheffield Hallam and they were excellent. Not sure if they do a Law LLM, certainly don't do employment law by DL.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    the costs of most have gone up for 2009/2010, but has anyone else noticed any more 'reasonably' priced LLMs?
  • bs7 wrote: »
    the costs of most have gone up for 2009/2010, but has anyone else noticed any more 'reasonably' priced LLMs?

ICS Home Learning do an LLM in International Business Law for £7245
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The Open University are starting a LLM in 2010, I believe. It might be worth a call to them?
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Misty_Blue wrote: »
    The Open University are starting a LLM in 2010, I believe. It might be worth a call to them?

i enquired about this and was told that it WAS expected for 2010 but now looks like it will be delayed.
  • the university of gloucestershire offer a distance learning LLM in International Business Law for £3995

northumbria university offer a range of LLMs via distance learning for £4600

the business school of london claim to offer the london university LLM for £3995 which may be studied via distance learning

if anyone has studied or is a current student on any of these courses their feedback would be most welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure