Apps on Panasonic tvs

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    I think that would be more accurately described as 'even without a satellite connection, the on demand content still works via internet' - I don't think it goes via aerial.

Internet, not aerial. Freetime was on set top boxes (Humax for example) first, but Panasonic were first to build it into TVs.

Yes, of course catch-up is via an internet connection however the point is that Freetime is the service that Panasonic use when using Freeview via the TV aerial, the same product that Freesat generally use.

Do any Humax Freeview (not Freesat) boxes use Freetime or do they all use Freeview Play?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, of course catch-up is via an internet connection however the point is that Freetime is the service that Panasonic use when using Freeview via the TV aerial, the same product that Freesat generally use.

Do any Humax Freeview (not Freesat) boxes use Freetime or do they all use Freeview Play?
    Freetime is only available on satellite. It is the satellite equivalent of Freeview Play. No service via terrestrial broadcasts has Freetime.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Freetime is only available on satellite. It is the satellite equivalent of Freeview Play. No service via terrestrial broadcasts has Freetime.

Try reading back through the posts and you'll see that you're wrong. :D
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »

Mine does :
    http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4KTV/tx-42as650b.html
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quote:
    works but slow to load like Netflix.
    So that's your internet or WiFi speed, nothing to do with the satellite connection. Netflix is on the net.

Didnt say it was.
    Internets fine so is the WIFI to telly. As said theyre both slow to load close on two mins to get in then ok.
    Had a black screen for well over a minute yesterday clicking on ITV Player on Freesat just said loading, then to eventually click red button. Must admit quicker just now about 40 secs.
    Same applies to Netflix now got rid of, once your actually in its ok.
    Have streamed two movies in HD via internet plus other stufff at same time in the past, throughputs fine 50 odd meg last 6 1/2 years.
    Also no loading on internet based Amazon its instant.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes, your TV includes Freetime. And Freeview. But Freetime is part of the Freesat platform, and as we have discovered, can operate without a satellite connection, because the catchup part works via internet. The Freeview part of the TV has nothing to do with this, that's all I'm saying. I can't see Freesat mentioned on Panasonic's spec page - does it have it? Either way, Freetime is via internet, not Aerial.

AFAIK, any set top box will be Freetime on satellite boxes, and Freeview Play, Youview or something proprietary on Freeview boxes. This Panasonic TV is an anomoly in the ever confusing world of digital TV platforms!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This Panasonic TV is an anomoly in the ever confusing world of digital TV platforms!

The tv is just Freview ; not Freesat. Also, the particular model is not an anomaly, as Freetime is on all sets of 650 and upwards for the next year or two,but they seem to have reverted to Freeview Play.

I think the removal of ITV hub must be from sets with the Freetime option.

Manufacturers change specs so often that it's impossible to keep up,yet you don't know what is good or bad in new additions. There are so many new and existing technologies that he laymen will either never use or understand.

We have had lots of Panasonic products including tvs (both with excellent pictures) , three microwaves, three vacuum cleaners, an excellent bread maker and a music centre, but I'm going off them after this loss of ITV hub service and with the quality of microwaves deteriorating.

Our microwave is cased in strong brushed steel , but the new steel cases are polished, both looking and feeling flimsy, with the combination ovens losing a shelf and a number of accessories.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Manufacturers change specs so often that it's impossible to keep up,yet you don't know what is good or bad in new additions. There are so many new and existing technologies that he laymen will either never use or understand.

When I worked for ITV, Samsung for instance had different versions of software running on the various tiers of TV sets (cheap to expensive) all from the same model year. Then they would change the software for the next model year and everything would stop working again.

It must be an absolute nightmare for the app developers, I was always amazed anything worked.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I worked for ITV, Samsung for instance had different versions of software running on the various tiers of TV sets (cheap to expensive) all from the same model year. Then they would change the software for the next model year and everything would stop working again.

It must be an absolute nightmare for the app developers, I was always amazed anything worked.

This is why I bought a "dumb" TV last time! Plug in a £25 Android box and a Chromecast and I have an easily upgradeable smart set up.:T
    Terrible shame that you can't get a new set now without the bells and whistles:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Terrible shame that you can't get a new set now without the bells and whistles:(
    I agree. Although it was inevitable that the SMART features would become standard even at the cheaper end of the TV market. Of course, it's still possible to do as you did and use external plug-ins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure